Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Archaeologist Uncover Maya Masterpiece

Nat'l Geo

Enduring Mystery

Classic Maya civilization peaked between A.D. 250 and 900, a period six times longer than the reign of ancient Rome. During that time, the Maya built more cities than ancient Egypt.

What caused Maya civilization to collapse, however, remains a mystery. Experts believe a range of factors, from internecine warfare to severe drought, may have triggered the fall. But the true cause remains a mystery.

Some mysteries just fascinate me.

Do you ever think South/Central American civilizations get short shrift compared to Greece, Egypt, Rome?

I would give more credit to the great Eurasian/African civilizations because they had more/better competition from other civilizations. How many "great" civilizations did the Mayans have to compete?

I would give more credit to the great Eurasian/African civilizations because they had more/better competition from other civilizations. How many "great" civilizations did the Mayans have to compete?

That's my whole point - we don't know a lot about the different cultures. One of the related articles I was reading was talking about a political battle between two super powers and how this one city they were excavating was like the "Vietnam" of the Mayas as in the fighting there sponsored by two superpowers - this was a new insight on the part of the researchers. Maybe things have changed but I never really learned a lot about how advanced - mathmatically - scientifically these cultures were while I was in school.

all I can say was that Rome was a joke compared to India, the Maya, the Inca, China, egypt, and Mesopotamia

I mean India gave you the english language which derives from sankrit

The Maya built huge paved roads without machinery....

the Inca were the first to use a binary syste, of counting (qipu)

China invented the sternpostrudder so you can sail straight, the compass, ballast tanks in ships, the wheelbarrow, gunpowder, seismometer, umbrella, PAPER, PAPER MONEY, kites, etc....

Egypt performed the first brain surgeries and were he first embalmers

Mesopotamia invented simplified algebra and school....