Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Steriods in Baseball

Stardate:213303.9

Steriods have been around in sports for a long time but recently it has become big news in baseball over the last 5-10 years.Especailly since the stoll pigean Jose Canseco said that while he played he knew for a fact that 80% of players took them.

As of recent the drug company Balco was charged with providing players with steriods.Three big players were involved with them.Yankees first baseman/DH Jason Giambi,Outfilder Gary Shefield and Giants outfielder Barry Bonds.

I thought at first Bonds took them but have since changed my opinion.Giambi has increased in power and size so dramtcily since joining the Yanks that im pretty sure he has.And Shefiled Im kinda border line about.

I know there arent that many on this board that follow the great game of baseball(which is a darn shame) but for those of you that know about this what do you think???

Edited by Goose

I just really am not too keen on steroids in baseball. If Barry Bonds breaks the record, and it's found out that he used the 'roids, I would discredit his record immediately. I just lose a lot of respect for any athlete when they use drugs as a quick fix.

it ruins the sport there should be drug tests.. not only in baseball but hockey and many other sports as well... except if we remember the Oylimpics awhile bak.. the Canadian snow boarder who had his medal taken away.. because they called marijuina a proformance enhancing drug lol

I lose respect for any athlete who is proven to be or have been using steroids. I try to keep an open mind though when it comes to rumors.

Drugs and athleticism don't go together. Period. Athletes drop dead all the time from taking substances to enhance their performance. That's not the kind of role models I want to see for today's children (though I also discourage having most athletes as role models for different reasons).

Athletes have to accept that they will be in the public eye and therefore, while Joe Public can sit in his house, smoke a joint and nobody will care, these athletes are setting an example. I'm all for mandatory drug testing in sports. It's dangerous and unsportsmanlike.

Oh, and I used to like Canseco... until it came out that he beat his wife. Not cool. <_<

Steroids are evil. Why dont we just abolish the national rich leauges and make no sport scholorships and commerical adds and lower pay prices so people wont haft to take steroids to "improve their game"

Athletes who take steroids are dumb and stupid, for god sakes I hate people who drink protien shakes and drinks because they cant put effort into lifting or w/e

Steroids are useless...

considering the risks outwieghthe benefits, I think it is a shame these cheaters are using such scourges of medicine.

Stardate:214317.9

News on Balco and the steriod scandel click Here

Seems Baseball isnt the only sport Balco is providing

I have lost all respect for baseball a long time ago. They are too greedy and self-center to care about the game anymore. The players who break records should place somewhere and known that they use steroids. Steroids will not go away from the game.

I have lost all respect for baseball a long time ago.  They are too greedy and self-center to care about the game anymore.  The players who break records should place somewhere and known that they use steroids.  Steroids will not go away from the game.

Stardate:214230.8

Ouch that hurts :lol:

Odie not all of the players take steriords man.As a matter of fact I believe only 2-4%of players have ever been found to have used them.And not all players who break records use them either.Also it has not been proven that players like Barry Bonds have taken them.

As for greedy its like that in all sports.If you were offfered say 252 million(Alex Rodrigues cotract when he was with Texas) to play you would too.Also not all player are like that.Take Edgar Martienez of the Seattle Mariners for example.Not many people know this but a few years ago the Yankees offered him 75 million to play for them.Thats more than 6 times what edgar is making now.He refuesed because he said he is playing for the love of the game not the money.Also Curt Schilling of the Red Sox took a huge pay cut when he joined Boston and was willing to recontruct his contract to whatever they wanted so he could play.

I dont know maybe you have be a fanatic or have played to understand but some people just do it for the love of the game.

I say we let these guys pump themselves full of whatever they want and demand peak performance and when they don't deliver they get cut loose like loose threads at the seam of a pair of pants. I find it hard to sympathize with someone who gets paid a 7 figure salary to hit a ball with a stick.

I have lost all respect for baseball a long time ago.  They are too greedy and self-center to care about the game anymore.  The players who break records should place somewhere and known that they use steroids.  Steroids will not go away from the game.

I agree, but really i have decided not to watch any major league sports, for reasons i won't go into here (pm if you want to know, please). It's just a shame that these athletes promote a sport that's about using the mind and body (yes, the mind is used some) to the fullest of their ability, and they cheat. I used to be into baseball myself and even played a bit of at home "games", but i got into volleyball because it seems more mature (besides, no one starts a riot because someone wins and/or loses X game in volleyball :lol: ).