Sign in to follow this  
poguemahone

St.Patricks Day Petition

From Guiness' homepage sign if you think this day deserves to be a national holiday in the US to cellabrate irish heritage not only in Ireland. It's not just for irish people it's for everybody, it's a day of pure fun. Notes: you do have to be of legal drinking age to sign it, and you do have to register with the site, buts that easy, and very sucure. It's only for US residents, sorry, And yes this is for real.

"St. Patrick's Day is coming. A day to celebrate Irish heritage and the legendary patron saint. A day to spend time with friends and a great excuse to party. Your friends at Guinness® believe that a day like this deserves some recognition. Official recognition. That's why we are leading a movement to make St. Patrick's Day a national holiday. We want you to help. Sign the petition, and pass it along to your friends! "

"For over 150 years the Irish have honored St. Patrick with a celebration on March 17. Today, the celebration encompasses not only St. Patrick’s heritage, but it’s an out-and-out excuse for anyone Irish, anyone who knows someone Irish, or anyone wearing green, for that matter, to come together and…well, simply enjoy a good time with close friends. That’s why we've created a petition to make St. Patrick’s Day a national holiday.

Join the movement by signing the petition and passing it along to your friends. Then watch as we march on Capitol Hill to let them know that we want to make St. Patrick’s Day a national holiday!

Plus, when you sign the petition, your name will automatically be entered in the Guinness® St. Patrick’s Day Sweepstakes where you could win a Keg-O-Rator."

Thanks,

poguemahone

My Friend asked me about 2 months ago to sign that petition.. i have no idea why any one would want a national holiday from a culture. Like ok i'm a tiny bit irish *i'm a half breed of alot of things* and the only reasoning my friends could give me for st.patricks day being a holiday is so they get a school day off..

what are all of yours?

-Laur :D

In some places it is a real big deal, iv'e been to Boston, Mass for it, just like i'm going again this year, it's nuts. Not just people getting drunk but there's parades, just like July 4th, it's a full day to spend with family and friends, and if your irish it means more, it's a chance to connect to your past, every one gets to be irish for a day, doesn't matter who you are.

We talked it over here and have decided against the petition because if you make one St. :D a reason for a holiday then all of the St. :D deserve the same. SHUCKS! :devil:

I'm all for a day off of work :P

But there are HUNDREDS of Saints...Oh wait...I get it! Yeah! Bring on a holiday for every saint! :D:D:D:D:D :D :D :) B) :D:D:D :) B) :wow::wow::wow::wow: WE NEVER HAVE TO WORK AGAIN...WOOOOO HOOOO!!!

It should be a national holiday. If we all looked back far enough through our family tree we probably all have some scotish heritage in us. :D

Ya might wanna get the cultures right bud..

Its IRISH not scottish.. but ok..

nahh no holidays it ruins our backgrounds.. cuz people are born of different heritage and celebrate differenmt things.. if EVERYONE was to celebrate it then whats the point??? i know i wouldn;t give a crap about it.. like right now Christmas means nothing .. it lost ALL meaning to me..

-Laur :D

My Friend asked me about 2 months ago to sign that petition.. i have no idea why any one would want a national holiday from a culture. Like ok i'm a tiny bit irish *i'm a half breed of alot of things* and the only reasoning my friends could give me for st.patricks day being a holiday is so they get a school day off..

what are all of yours?

-Laur :)

I am very lucky to have in-laws who are irish( My surname is McMahon) so i understand fully the meaning of "Paddy's day". It is to meet up with family and friends, sing songs and get absolutely plastered,which i did with relish !!!!

From Guiness' homepage sign if you think this day deserves to be a national holiday in the US to cellabrate irish heritage not only in Ireland. It's not just for irish people it's for everybody, it's a day of pure fun. Notes: you do have to be of legal drinking age  to sign it, and you do have to register with the site, buts that easy, and very sucure. It's only for US residents, sorry, And yes this is for real.

"St. Patrick's Day is coming. A day to celebrate Irish heritage and the legendary patron saint. A day to spend time with friends and a great excuse to party. Your friends at Guinness® believe that a day like this deserves some recognition. Official recognition. That's why we are leading a movement to make St. Patrick's Day a national holiday. We want you to help. Sign the petition, and pass it along to your friends! "

"For over 150 years the Irish have honored St. Patrick with a celebration on March 17. Today, the celebration encompasses not only St. Patrick’s heritage, but it’s an out-and-out excuse for anyone Irish, anyone who knows someone Irish, or anyone wearing green, for that matter, to come together and…well, simply enjoy a good time with close friends. That’s why we've created a petition to make St. Patrick’s Day a national holiday.

Join the movement by signing the petition and passing it along to your friends. Then watch as we march on Capitol Hill to let them know that we want to make St. Patrick’s Day a national holiday!

Plus, when you sign the petition, your name will automatically be entered in the Guinness® St. Patrick’s Day Sweepstakes where you could win a Keg-O-Rator."

Thanks,

poguemahone

Poguemahone,does your username incorporate your surname as it is similar to mine? My surname is McMahon. My hubbies family are from Ballyfermot in Dublin,where are yours descended from?

To answer your question pogue mahone is irish galeic for "kiss my *buttocks*", I use it to honour the band The Pogues, formed by Shane MacGowan and Co. back in th mid-80's, their full name was The Pogue Mahones, but shorted later on. My surnames are McGrath Aronhalt (it's a family tradition don't ask), the McGrath's are from the Counties Fermanagh and Clare , and are the 48th most common irish last name in America. Aronhalt is a old Prussian last name (Prussia was a country that made up northern Germany and western Poland up until 1870 with the first unification of Germany)

mcgrath.gif

And, Tiocfaidh ar La, Eireann go Brach = Our Day will come, Ireland Forever

My bf wants me to re-tract my statement about making st patricks day a holiday... he wants it to be.. lol hes Irish... lil bum head :dude:

OMG what does Green Beer taste Like???

a few of my friends saw it but wouldn;t try it...

~Lauren :blink:

Making St.Patty's Day a national holiday in American would open a can of worms.Every different group of people would demand a holiday of their own.I like St.Patrick's day the way it is. :bow:

St. Patricts day as any other day of that hertiage, should be celebrated for that hertiage. Others can honor the day as well, but I am not Irish, and really dont care. I do believe in the resepct of holidays and tradition, just making St. Patty's Day national seems to go overboard with the fun loving crowd america is already. :bow: