Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Deaths - Data v Enterprise

I was crying even before Data jumped. But then i cried whe i read the interview with Brent Spiner that spilled the beans even a week before the movie was released. I hated to see him go that way. It could have been avoided. :devil:

I still can't believe what happened. It doesn't surprise me that he went to the Scimitar. In a way it is like Picard staying aboard the Enterprise to save Data in First Contact.

I was watching Time's Arrow today so maybe they could go back to the cavern in San Francisco and get Data's head. :blink:

Hi, Lessa! I am so glad that you have joined us! Yea, I started crying before he jumped too, because I knew that he was going to die before it happened! I learned of it from the interview, but I wanted to believe that he was joking, so I went to the bookstore and got the newly released novel, I read the last few pages at the store. . .imagine the look on the cashier's face when I went up front to pay for the book. That and when I got home, lucky my mom and brother weren't home yet. . .I ran to my room and started screaming my head off and hysterically crying. And that was about a week before I even went to see the movie! I even have a hard time listenening to that track of the soundtrack, without tearing up!

I think Data's "death" will make for an interesting 10 minutes if they decide to make another TNG film...B4 walking around all.."dumbed down" would drive me crazy.

Any deaths except "Enterprise" (the new 'series') and Wesley are devestating. :)

OK, that was hilarious. I know there are Enterprise and Wesley fans out there somewhere (I don't personally know any. . .I am a fan of Data and TNG first and foremost!), and I know that staement may get on their nerves. . .but to me it is completely. . . :) :) :lol: :)

and as for the B4 comment from another post , I certainly think he will (and SHOULD) mature greatly by the time we see him again! Even though I (and a few others) are hoping to see Data comeback somehow, someway. . even just briefly!

Oh no, not for a short while, that'll just open old wounds and then we'll all be clinically depressed again. I agree with what someone said: Bring him back or give him a decent memorial (Spock, who saves a ship, gets a huge, overblwn, exaggerated ceremony, Data, who saves the ship AND earth AND the galxy (cuz once they take over earth, you know what's next) and he gets a toast and Riker DOESN'T EVEN REMEMBER THE SONG HE WAS WHISTLING! Everyone knows that!!!) :)

Ok, just warning you: Don't get me started on this topic, I can't help myself, ok? I'm sorry.

You're a Sister of Soong, remember that! All of us Soongs tend to get started on this subject! And it's because of talking with you, soong_girl and Lessa, that I am not so depressed! I loved Data since I was seven, and then he was so violently taken from us. . .and then you call that a proper wake and funeral! Come on, Ebenezer Scrooge just about got more of one than Data! That was just evil and disrespectful! And YES Riker forgetting "Pop Goes The Weasel", that just about proves to me that there are no lights on in that brain of his! Everytime I go to practice music on my clarinet, I bring that song out and attempt to play. Attempt because, when you play a reeded instrument you shouldn't be smiling or laughing , and I tend to have a problem not doing that. Fond memory. Can't help that!

Dear, sister just remember that all us Soongs are here and that you should feel free to vent, rant, or cry. . .prevents you from getting too depressed! I want him back too!

You're a Sister of Soong, remember that! All of us Soongs tend to get started on this subject! And it's because of talking with you, soong_girl and Lessa, that I am not so depressed! I loved Data since I was seven, and then he was so violently taken from us. . .and then you call that a proper wake and funeral! Come on, Ebenezer Scrooge just about got more of one than Data! That was just evil and disrespectful! And YES Riker forgetting "Pop Goes The Weasel", that just about proves to me that there are no lights on in that brain of his! Everytime I go to practice music on my clarinet, I bring that song out and attempt to play. Attempt because,  when you play a reeded instrument you shouldn't be smiling or laughing , and I tend to have a problem not doing that. Fond memory. Can't help that!

Dear, sister just remember that all us Soongs are here and that you should feel free to vent, rant, or cry. . .prevents you from getting too depressed! I want him back too!

I have to come to Rikers defense on this one. Of course we remember the song, we've been watching the episode over and over for that past 15 years. Riker on the other hand would have only experienced the event once and it is safe to say that A LOT has happened in his life since then. Also the writers obviously know what the song was and I think having Riker forget was a nice touch in a way. The song wasn't the important thing, the impoartant thing was the memory of meeting Data. Even though I wish that this scene had been longer and gone a bit deeper I did think that the actors played the scene well. I've cried every time I've seen it. It was very much like a close friend had died. Everyone was trying to remember something happy and up lifting but in the end the sorrow is there and you can't help but cry over the lose of the long time friend. Data R.I.P.

True, Riker does not have Encounter at Farpoint on DVD to watch like we do, so it was not surprising that he forgot the song. and the thing got all of us to remember it and many of us even started to sing or whistle the tune right there in the movie. It was a moment.

I had to drive home alone from the theater and i cried the whole 45 minute trip to get back home. Good thing no one got in my way that night, i would have run them over.

Why could Data have not set a phaser to overload and gone back with Picard...ok, so maybe that would not have worked, but him dying when his life was just beginning was NOT the answer. TOO YOUNG TO DIE!

Well, if the dreams of four sisters in faith came bring him back, we are good to go. Data has much left to do. Even B-4 could be in danger without Data to protect him. Maddox is still out there. :)

True, Riker does not have Encounter at Farpoint on DVD to watch like we do, so it was not surprising that he forgot the song. and the thing got all of us to remember it and many of us even started to sing or whistle the tune right there in the movie. It was a moment.

I had to drive home alone from the theater and i cried the whole 45 minute trip to get back home. Good thing no one got in my way that night, i would have run them over.

Why could Data have not set a phaser to overload and gone back with Picard...ok, so maybe that would not have worked, but him dying when his life was just beginning was NOT the answer. TOO YOUNG TO DIE!

Well, if the dreams of four sisters in faith came bring him back, we are good to go. Data has much left to do. Even B-4 could be in danger without Data to protect him. Maddox is still out there.  :)

OK, see your point, and maybe Riker is that forgetful. So I will give him benefit of a doubt! As for Data being to young to die. . .he was only 41 (42 in Feb. we all know) of course that is WAY TOO YOUNG.

Driving back home after Nemesis. . .We are so alike in this respect! My brother(younger than me) begged me not to drive out of the theater parking lot until I calmed down. That and I did scream at a couple people out of the car window, they cut me off (usually I am rather quiet about that sorta thing, angry but not verbal. . .that night I was very loudly opinionated about everything). Plus like you, I had a long drive back home from the movie. At nearly 10:30 at night that drive seemed like an eternity!

Our dear has so much unfinished business to attend to maybe our dream and wish does come true, that Data will return to us! And yes B4 is in extreme danger, since the poor guy doen't know any better about that sadistic idiot Maddox! He may think Maddox is a friend who will help him, after all Maddox could easily pull the wolf in sheep's clothing trick!

I remembered the whole thing, and I had only seen the ep once (until a few weeks ago, when I got the season 1 DVD and now watch that ep over and over and over). And Riker was all rude when he finished the song for Data. If someone can't do something, it's really rude to show off how well you can. And only 42! Which is even worse in the future because then the life expectancy has increased to what, 110? or 120? In which case he lived a third of the life he should have IF HE WAS HUMAN!!

I remembered the whole thing, and I had only seen the ep once (until a few weeks ago, when I got the season 1 DVD and now watch that ep over and over and over). And Riker was all rude when he finished the song for Data. If someone can't do something, it's really rude to show off how well you can. And only 42! Which is even worse in the future because then the life expectancy has increased to what, 110? or 120? In which case he lived a third of the life he should have IF HE WAS HUMAN!!

Yeah I can understand that all right about the "showing off" part. And, I always thought that Riker was showing off, if only a little bit! In gymnastics there are 10 levels, 10 being the highest and I am in 8! When a student of mine in Pre Level 2 or even Level 4 can't grasp the skill. . .I may show them how, but I try desperately to not do it exactly right. . .wobble, fall off, just anything to make sure they don't become discouraged. And I usually workout after most of them leave, just because I absolutely refuse to show off! Unless they ASK me to show them a high level skill, then I gladly perform the skill to the best of my ability.

20 years, and I have been teaching it for 5 of those years!

I was competitive from 6 to 18, and would love the chance to compete again, though I'd completly stink at the Uneven Bars right now. . . wait I believe I have always been terrible at them!(Balance Beam is my favorite and Floor is my best!)

OK now we're getting way off subject here. . .now to try and get back on.. . .

Do you really think it is a good idea to compare Data who is a person to the Enterprise which is a ship? To me that is like apples and oranges.

No, definitely not right to compare them (Data would say - that implies that he, too, is an "it", a machine). Personally, I was just writing my reactions to both of them, not comparing them.

I was figuring some were writing their reaction to wach , and some were comparing. I keep them separate because they are separate. As I read that you did dsbs, as did Lessa and soong_girl.

I think Data was older than 40 years. We never did know when his original activation date was but I make my case based on Birthright and Brothers. In Birthright when Data accesses his dream program Dr. Soong is described as being 40ish. The dream program would have been installed when Data was created. In Brothers Dr. Soong is described as being around 100 so this would mean that Data was actually in his 70's by Nemesis.

I know that we don't know when he was originally activated. But he was permanently activated in 2338, and when TNG started he was 26 (in 2364) and Nemesis occured in 2379 so he was 41 almost 42. I think the mention of Soong being in his 100's may be a remark towards his appearance, or a slip up on the writers part, I have no idea!

I think it was a slip up in Brothers. I gave alternate timelines in my post about Data, Lore and the Crystalline Entity on the TNG board. I think it makes more sense that Data was created in approximately 2334.

I guess that each of us will forever have our ideas of when he was created, I mean nothing was truly ever said about an initial activation date. We just know that Data's permanent activation date/birthdate is Feb 2, 2338.