Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Enterprise and TOS

Would you say that Enterprise is the most TOS like series?

Here are some of the comparisons:

1. Involves the Captain of a starship who goes on away missions.

2. Centres round a central group of characters i.e. Trip/Archer/T'Pol and Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

3. Both crews take control of the situation and get involved in the action.

4. Both have Vulcan Science officers.

I’m sure there are more comparisons. Anyway, what are your views?

I think Ent is very like TOS. In terms of character dynamics aswell as production. The first thing that does spring out was a point you already covered. The main characters are definately Archer, T'pol and Trip who take the mould of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Sometimes this is to the detrement of the series though. I mean sometimes it is hardly worth Anthony Montgomery turning up to work. He had no speaking parts (I think) in Twilight and he was killed barely before the the episode had begun. Linda Park fares better but she is also neglected. In terms of production Ent has the same fear of cancelation that forever hung over the heads of the TOS cast and crew.

The main theme of the series was to be a prequel to TOS rather than another sequal/contemporary to TNG, DS9 and VOY. So because of that it is going to be more like TOS. But the similarities in terms of episode content are startling. North Star was the most TOS episode ive seen this side of TOS and sometimes there is some stealing. Chosen Realm ended just like Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. However i think Ent has enough of its own identity. i cant remeber wher I learned this but in some folk lore study it was concluded that you can only tell 7 types of stories. After 600 odd hours of Trek I dont think that we should shhot the makers from borrowing from their vast back catalogue but so long as they do it a bit different

I'm sorry but Enterprise is nothing like TOS......nothing at all :wow:

"1. Involves the Captain of a starship who goes on away missions."

that was the same in TNG.....but hey both Kirk and Picard arent lame like archer

"2. Centres round a central group of characters i.e. Trip/Archer/T'Pol and Kirk/Spock/McCoy."

yeh I can really see Spock wearing a pink bunny suit.....Spock was more Vulcan than T'Pol will ever be...and he was half human..... :wow:

"3. Both crews take control of the situation and get involved in the action."

in TOS Kirk took command,in Enterprise archer runs to his room to talk to his puppy......I know which Captain I would like to follow into acton and it isnt the lame one

"4. Both have Vulcan Science officers."

Enterprise has a bunny girl......oh and she didnt have Vulcan eye brows till season three...... :huh:

well if Enterprise is so much like TOS,isnt it time we had a change.......its all been done much better before .........IMO

Edited by Spudgun

So because of that it is going to be more like TOS. But the similarities in terms of episode content are startling. North Star was the most TOS episode ive seen this side of TOS and sometimes there is some stealing. Chosen Realm ended just like Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. However i think Ent has enough of its own identity. i cant remeber wher I learned this but in some folk lore study it was concluded that you can only tell 7 types of stories. After 600 odd hours of Trek I dont think that we should shhot the makers from borrowing from their vast back catalogue but so long as they do it a bit different

Agreed, I too have noticed the odd bow to past episodes but I feel that the majority of them are done so well that it doesn't concern me. The Borg episode comes to mind were the ending was a bit like TNG's Conspiracy, but the story was so well directed and acted that it is now one of my favourite episodes.

I also like the fact that the Klingons are back as Starfleet opponents!

I'm sorry but Enterprise is nothing like TOS......nothing at all :thumbs:

that was the same in TNG.....but hey both Kirk and Picard arent lame like archer

"2. Centres round a central group of characters i.e. Trip/Archer/T'Pol and Kirk/Spock/McCoy."

yeh I can really see Spock wearing a pink bunny suit.....Spock was more Vulcan than T'Pol will ever be...and he was half human..... :thumbs:

in TOS Kirk took command,in Enterprise archer runs to his room to talk to his puppy......I know which Captain I would like to follow into acton and it isnt the lame one

Enterprise has a bunny girl......oh and she didnt have Vulcan eye brows till season three...... :thumbs:

well if Enterprise is so much like TOS,isnt it time we had a change.......its all been done much better before .........IMO

Did Picard go on away missions?!? Well, maybe once or twice, but it was almost always Riker who led the away teams.

I agree that in season 3, T'Pol is very emotional for a Vulcan, but that will be explained further on, and she is the first Vulcan to spend that much time with humans, of course she will be affected. And I don't mind at all, T'Pol is much more interesting the way she is now, not just a typical Vulcan.

Archer running to his room?? I think he is the first captain in Trek history that actually takes action to often, but that is not very strange since he doesn't have any rules he can rely on.

IMO I think it seems like you haven't even given Enterprise a chance, yes it's not perfect, but no Trek series has ever been. Why don't you try watching it again without that negative attitude and you might find that it is becoming a great series!

IMO I think it seems like you haven't even given Enterprise a chance, yes it's not perfect, but no Trek series has ever been. Why don't you try watching it again without that negative attitude and you might find that it is becoming a great series!

Hi Stelfan,

I really have tried to give it a try,my wife, the in-laws and myself have all tried watching it without negative.....really.....I wouldnt knock the show if I hadnt seen it...but it just isnt Trek,if they set it in another time and nothing to do with Star Trek,then it would be a well made show. But they have messed around with the time lines that a lot of fans just wont watch it. All my Trek reference books are now out the window.......I'm not having ago at any Trek fan that likes Enterprise,just the show I dont like...... :thumbs:

Edited by Spudgun

Hi Stelfan,

I really have tried to give it a try,my wife, the in-laws and myself have all tried watching it without negative.....really.....I wouldnt knock the show if I hadnt seen it...but it just isnt Trek,if they set it in another time and nothing to do with Star Trek,then it would be a well made show. But they have messed around with the time lines that a lot of fans just wont watch it. All my Trek reference books are now out the window.......I'm not having ago at any Trek fan that likes Enterprise,just the show I dont like...... :thumbs:

Please keep on topic. This thread is not to discuss why you dislike Enterprise but the comparisons between it and TOS. Thanks.

I find that the Triad of T'Pol, Archer and Trip is a lot like the Triad of Spock, Kirk and McCoy.

So my answer is yes, I find that Enterprise is more like The Original Series than the others were.

Both have less of the polish that TNG has (I loved TNG but everything and everyone was squeakly clean)

The major difference is IMO - character development is lacking in ENT.

I don't see the Archer/T'Pol/Trip as a triad - they are the three main characters yes like TOS had three main characters. But the only time they're all three together is at the dinner table - they don't interact with one another.

Spudgun Posted on Mar 31 2004, 01:39 PM

yeh I can really see Spock wearing a pink bunny suit.....Spock was more Vulcan than T'Pol will ever be...and he was half human..... 

lol, I agree T'Pol is a deplorable Vulcan....they should have made her the Denoblian

I'm sorry but Enterprise is nothing like TOS......nothing at all :b-day:

Actually, it was Riker who went on the away missions. :b-day:

yeh I can really see Spock wearing a pink bunny suit.....Spock was more Vulcan than T'Pol will ever be...and he was half human..... :thumbs:

Bunny suit? What are you talking about? As for SPock being more Vulcan than T'Pol, I find that laughable. Spock went overboard when it caim to repressing his emotions. I believe he went overboard becuase he was overcompensating for his Human side, but this did make him a good Vulcan. Also, keep in mind that he did have the occasional emotional outburst, something we've yet to see in T'Pol unless effected by environmental circumstances.

In which episode has Archer run to his quarters to talk to Porthos durring a situation? :thumbs:

Enterprise has a bunny girl......oh and she didnt have Vulcan eye brows till season three...... :thumbs:

Bunny girl? What the heck are you talking about? There are no bunny people on the show. Also, you are right, T'Pol did not have Vulcan eyebrows, but this mistake was slowly corrected over the coarse of season 1 so fans wouldn't notice.

A change? Try the Xindi arc in season 3.

Hi Stelfan,

I really have tried to give it a try,my wife, the in-laws and myself have all tried watching it without negative.....really.....I wouldnt knock the show if I hadnt seen it...but it just isnt Trek

The show is called Star Trek: Enterprise.

if they set it in another time and nothing to do with Star Trek,then it would be a well made show.

If it were a different time perriod and had nothing to do with Star Trek, then it would not be Star Trek.

But they have messed around with the time lines that a lot of fans just wont watch it.

The timeline is fine.

All my Trek reference books are now out the window.......

Your Trek reference books are not canon. :thumbs: It's plain silly to limit a franchise to some silly reference book.

I'm sorry but Enterprise is nothing like TOS......nothing at all :b-day:

Actually, it was Riker who went on the away missions. :b-day:

Bunny suit? What are you talking about? As for SPock being more Vulcan than T'Pol, I find that laughable. Spock went overboard when it caim to repressing his emotions. I believe he went overboard becuase he was overcompensating for his Human side, but this did make him a good Vulcan. Also, keep in mind that he did have the occasional emotional outburst, something we've yet to see in T'Pol unless effected by environmental circumstances.

In which episode has Archer run to his quarters to talk to Porthos durring a situation? :thumbs:

Bunny girl? What the heck are you talking about? There are no bunny people on the show. Also, you are right, T'Pol did not have Vulcan eyebrows, but this mistake was slowly corrected over the coarse of season 1 so fans wouldn't notice.

A change? Try the Xindi arc in season 3.

I would love to reply to this....but I keep having my post deleted......sorry

Captains at the time of TNG did not normally go on away missions because it put the Captain in too great a risk. Yes Captain's could go on awayteams but there was to be sufficient protection.

That's why Riker always led the awayteams because he was the First Officer. In fact, when Riker was in command of the Enterprise (I beleive it was Best of Both Worlds) he tried to go on an awayteam but Deanna reminded him that since he was in command, it would be inappropriate.

However, ENT and TOS both have the Captain going on numerous away missions. Something I always found odd (especially in TOS) where the majority of the important officers would leave the ship. I guess I develpoed this attitude from having been exposed to TNG first.

I had high hopes in the beginning for the triad of characters that reflected the old TOS one of Kirk/Spock/McCoy but it has not been any further developed this season which is a shame. Even more of a shame is that they have introduced a completely inappropriate and unbelievable slant at a romantic relationship between Trip and T'Pol which ruins the Spock / McCoy like bickering that would have eventually developed into true respect and friendship.

I agree with all the negative comments made about T'Pol above. If all they wanted was a sex kitten to improve ratings by wearing wholly inappropriate outfits and getting her kit off they shouldn't have cast a Vulcan - it's an insult to the longest standing and IMO most interesting of Trek's universe of species.

I agree with all the negative comments made about T'Pol above. If all they wanted was a sex kitten to improve ratings by wearing wholly inappropriate outfits and  getting her kit off they shouldn't have cast a Vulcan - it's an insult to the longest standing and IMO most interesting of Trek's universe of species.[/b][/color][/font]

I agree with you about T'Pol, could you really see Spock givining Nurse Chaple a back massage,like T'Pol did for Trip......no I dont think so,Spock is a Vulcon T'Pol isnt....she is just the seven of nine of Enterprise IMO

Would you say that Enterprise is the most TOS like series?

Here are some of the comparisons:

1. Involves the Captain of a starship who goes on away missions.

2. Centres round a central group of characters i.e. Trip/Archer/T'Pol and Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

3. Both crews take control of the situation and get involved in the action.

4. Both have Vulcan Science officers.

I’m sure there are more comparisons. Anyway, what are your views?

1. True, but this is likely more due to Bakula's contract, which I assume states he must be on the screen for a certain amount of time. One could argue this is to make the link to TOS, but I doubt it.

2. True, but so did all of the series. I don't really see that this is a unique characteristic of Enterprise and TNG.

3. Not really. The Ent. crew takes a beating. Again, I don't see how this is any different from the other series.

4. This is a good point. It would also make sense to have a Vulcan science officer since the Vulcans are presumable more advanced in this area. Perhaps T'Pol defines the role.

I agree with you about T'Pol, could you really see Spock givining Nurse Chaple a back massage,like T'Pol did for Trip......no I dont think so,Spock is a Vulcon T'Pol isnt....she is just the seven of nine of Enterprise IMO

Maybe it's a sexual dysfunction that causes her to be interested in times other than the 7 year cycle for Vulcans. I also don't see why every Vulcan is defined in terms of Spock. This would be called racism if you defined every member of a racial group in terms of the one and only representative of the group that you knew well.

I also don't see why every Vulcan is defined in terms of Spock.  This would be called racism if you defined every member of a racial group in terms of the one and only representative of the group that you knew well.

...point taken,but would you see Sarek or Tuvok or any other vulcon act the way T'Pol dose..... :clap:

The prequel is to show how Star Trek came to be. It is not to make up a completely different story and disgrace the Star Trek franchise every week. Enterprise is arguably the worst prequel in the history of television. Nothing about that show remotely makes it seem like it is in TOS' past.

I love ENT for the constant homages it pays to TOS, ENT is the series I've been waiting for.

...point taken,but would you see Sarek or Tuvok or any other vulcon act the way T'Pol dose.....  :clap: 

These examples of other Vulcan's are invalid (imo) because they are male. You're not seeing the BIG picture, not every Vulcan is as perfect as you think and just because we've never seen a Vulcan act quite as strange as T'pol does doesn't mean they don't exist. We HAVE seen odd Vulcan's before. I savor the mystery of her and look forward to seeing how she affects the future to become, as we know it to be.

These examples of other Vulcan's are invalid (imo) because they are male. You're not seeing the BIG picture, not every Vulcan is as perfect as you think and just because we've never seen a Vulcan act quite as strange as T'pol does doesn't mean they don't exist.

ok.....T'Pring,T'Pau,Saavik and Valeris all Vulcan women....all from TOS era and none of them act like T'Pol.....

These examples of other Vulcan's are invalid (imo) because they are male. You're not seeing the BIG picture, not every Vulcan is as perfect as you think and just because we've never seen a Vulcan act quite as strange as T'pol does doesn't mean they don't exist.

ok.....T'Pring,T'Pau,Saavik and Valeris all Vulcan women....all from TOS era and none of them act like T'Pol.....

I think we have seen far to little about them to be able to compare them to T'Pol..

And besides, what does it matter that T'Pol is not a "normal" Vulcan, are all humans the same?