Sign in to follow this  
Odie

Nautical Words in TNG

How many nautical words are used in TNG series? Trust me there are a lot? :wow:

How many nautical words are used in TNG series?  Trust me there are a lot? :rolleyes:

177664[/snapback]

Did you ever come up with a list? I'd be interested to see it.

Port, Starboard, For, Aft, Bow, Stern, Deck, Bulkhead (I think that was mentioned) All the ranks from Ensign to Fleet Admiral, I think the term Below was used once. I don't recall anyone ever using the term "Topside" or "Abaft". But, How else would you refere to the parts of your ship other than using Nautical terms? I've even heard Air Force Pilots refere to "Port" And "Starboard" when discussing their aircraft.

I'm not really familiar with military terms but do they call a jail the Brig in the Army or Air Force? Same question regarding the bridge, decks, hatches and flagship? How about phrases like "prepare to be boarded" or "deploy the fleet"? Of course Trek has shipyards such as Utopia Planitia.

Edited by Takara_Soong

They use the term "Away party" or "Away Team", another term we use for "boarding parties" or the new Navy's term VBSS (Visit Board Search and Seizure). The sad fact is the way the current Navy ios going there will be a great amount of Nautical heritage and phraseology lost. :laugh:

At one point I went nuts with naval terminology in my fanfic.

Anyone reading would have assumed the starship I was writing about was an English Man-o-War sailing the Indian Ocean in the late 18th century,instead of a 24th century spacecraft.

I had to cut down,but it was hard.I love those terms. :laugh:

Edited by admiralpeewee

I'm not really familiar with military terms but do they call a jail the Brig in the Army or Air Force? Same question regarding the bridge, decks, hatches and flagship? How about phrases like "prepare to be boarded" or "deploy the fleet"? Of course Trek has shipyards such as Utopia Planitia.

352148[/snapback]

One of the resident Sailors may be better suited to answer this, rather than a Marine, but the Brig is a term more commonly used by the Navy. I believe the Army uses the term "Stockade". the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Gaurd are really the only services that use terms such as Deck, Bridge, Hatches, Scuttlebutt, because of the fact that we are based on ships. to the Air Force, the term Deck means the ground. and a bridge is something that spans a river that gets blown up.