Sign in to follow this  
Miss Satoire

Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home

Atfer watching Star Trek IV last night on Spike, I have a some questions that I always think about when the movie is over.

First: Do you think the two whales (George and Gracie) would have repopulated the species?

Second: If the repopulation was successful, would they attempt to bring other extinct species into the future for repopulation?

Third: Can you imagine what the search for Dr. Gillian Taylor would be like? Last seen by two policemen at Mercy Hospital while escaping with a patient from the security corridor, and her truck being found in Golden Gate Park. What a mystery that would make.

first off they could reproduce the species... depending on how many offspring a whale can produce in a lifetime.. so i cant really answer that question cause i dont know sorry

secondly i doubt they would go through all that hassle unless it was absolutly neccisary

thirdly the doc didnt seem like someone who had alot of friends or family and i doubt that they would have recognized her in the hospital they might jus have assumed she ran away..

To answer your 3rd question:

Well, being a Police Foundations student, I think I can say with some degree of surety that the police officers assigned to that case would have a very hard time. The would not just assume that she ran away because when a police officer always assumes the worst in a case such as that. That way, they will not dismiss a good lead if it comes their way. However, because everyone involved in her disapearance would also be a big mystery to them, the case would go cold very quickly. Then they would move on to something else.

To answer your 1st question: No they could not repopulate the species because the gene pool is far too limited. I believe you would need about 20 wales or more to re populate. However, with the technology of the 23rd century it would be possible to clone them.

Edited by Captain Bolivar

To answer your 3rd question:

Well, being a Police Foundations student, I think I can say with some degree of surety that the police officers assigned to that case would have a very hard time.  The would not just assume that she ran away because when a police officer always assumes the worst in a case such as that.  That way, they will not dismiss a good lead if it comes their way.  However, because everyone involved in her disapearance would also be a big mystery to them, the case would go cold very quickly.  Then they would move on to something else.

So the possible truth in these matters of disappearance are NEVER given real consideration by any Law Enforcement Angencys? What am I saying, of course it's not.

No that's not what I mean. All I'm saying is if there is no leads (useable evidence) then how can you find someone. If that was the only case to worry about they'd keep trying, but there are other lost people, whom have hope. The truth of the matter is that most investigations are not successful. It's not like on CSI where investigators solve the problem everyday. Sometimes, there is simply nothing to work with. That's real life. But they do give it their best effort.

I have heard cases of the police using physics to try and solve a case; to your knowledge does any police force officially recognize the possibility of off worldly explanations for some/any missing person cases, would that ever be considered a lead and if not, should it be? Just wondering.

No they wouldn't consider that. There would be no way to prove it. And even if they did, there would be nobody to charge. It wouldn't be a valuable use of time. Interesting thought though.

No they wouldn't consider that.  There would be no way to prove it.  And even if they did, there would be nobody to charge.  It wouldn't be a valuable use of time.  Interesting thought though.

Besides, it's not like you can just subpoena ET to testify in court or something like that.

No they wouldn't consider that.  There would be no way to prove it.  And even if they did, there would be nobody to charge.  It wouldn't be a valuable use of time.  Interesting thought though.

I see. Thank you for understanding and not laughing at what I was suggesting.

:unsure:

Do you think they would really repopulate the species.. or just let the whales do the thing and when they die off just hope that they can destroy the probe the next time it comes..?

First: Do you think the two whales (George and Gracie) would have repopulated the species?

Yes but probably not without some help from geneticists.

Second: If the repopulation was successful, would they attempt to bring other extinct species into the future for repopulation?

Trickier, I wonder if risks to the timeline being fouled up would make it worth it to try.

Well, if they wanted to repopulate the species why should they even need living whales. They should have some DNA from a whale and with 23'th century technology they should be able to clone enough of them to repopulate the species..

Oh, sorry, I think I misread the question (I need to get some sleep). No, I do not think George and Gracie could repopulate the species all by themselves, they would need help from scientists.

Edited by Stelfan