Sign in to follow this  
Danny

What did you look for in choosing a fav episode?

For me, the episode had to revolve around the ship. I didn't care much for episodes based on planets, I didn't look for lessons in life or character development but I really liked the fantasy world that the ship provided. This is why one of my favourites was The Lower Decks because you got to see a hint of what daily life was liek on the Enterprise.

Riker, Riker, Riker and....oh yeah, Riker. bluewink.gif

I don't think I welcomed you to the board yet Danny. Welcome! action-smiley-066.gif

For me, the episode had to revolve around the ship. I didn't care much for episodes based on planets, I didn't look for lessons in life or character development but I really liked the fantasy world that the ship provided. This is why one of my favourites was The Lower Decks because you got to see a hint of what daily life was liek on the Enterprise.

Lower Decks was a good episode, I didn't really like the way they ended it but not every story can have a happy ending I guess.

I found it interesting to see like in the lower ranks, it was also interesting to see the Bajoran girl (Can't think of her name but she was cute :wow:) come onto the Enterprise after what happened at the Academy.

I don't really look for specific things in an episode to pick a favorite, though the stories that really develope a character are generally the better episodes.

I think you're thinking of Ensign (later Lieutenant) Ro Lauren. - Ooops, scratch that!! I've never seen Lower Decks, I never knew there was a Bjoran in it....Oh, and humours good too :D

For me, the most important thing is character development, but a great episode should have a mixture of that, action, and of course, good acting and a good script/plot (and another of course, the perfectly portrayed Data ALWAYS makes for an amazing episode, IMO. His eps usually have it all: character development - his. Action - sure, why not? Good acting - it's Brent Spiner. Nuff said. And as for the script, well, I think that, once you have a good plot, its pretty easy to write good scripts for Data episodes. Since his chaacters SO defined, it's easy to figure out what to do....if you know what I mean? yes, sure....In short, Data rocks :wow:)

(Purple glow is stuff I added in when I edited)

Edited by dsbs

My favs are determined by 1st. How entertained I was during the viewing and 2nd. Whether or not in the course of everyday life; little things occur which remind of the episode and make me smile. :wow:

Well, character development, a good plotline, character interaction, action....Oh, heck, since all of my favorite episodes center around ONE person and his family..you can tell my main reason to choose a favorite episode is if Data is the center of attention!!! :wow:

One very big exception from the Data rule was Face of the Enemy. I thought it was amazing...I can't think of any others right now, but I know there are!

It is rather simple for me. If it's an episode I can watch over and over again and still enjoy it and be thoroughly entertained throughout the entire episode, then it will always rank up there in my favorite lists.

if its an episode that makes me ponder life, and think about things long after ive watched it...then its a good episode for me!

if its an episode that makes me ponder life, and think about things long after ive watched it...then its a good episode for me!

It depends on my mood. I have favourite episodes that I love because they really make you think and there are episodes that I love because they are fun to watch. There are very few episodes of TNG that I dislike just some that I love more than others.

It is rather simple for me. If it's an episode I can watch over and over again and still enjoy it and be thoroughly entertained throughout the entire episode, then it will always rank up there in my favorite lists.

I'll go along with that!

when i first started watching TNG, when it first aired...before i fell in love with Data (you know, that first five minutes) The thing that i was entranced by was that this show, unlike TOS, let you see more then just the Captain or the first officer. Each episode would focus one one or maybe two people and you got to know them better in the episode. It was so eye opening for me. In the early days, i did not have a favorite character because i was so in love with the show as a whole.

ANd i still am.

Character devolopment. Love it!

I so agree. I think that is the reason that we sometimes think the early episodes are not as good is because of the incredible character development. It is hard to think of Picard, Data or any character as they were in the first season when they all grew so much as the seasons went on.

My favourite episodes are based around many factors, but the major one has to be the exploration of science fiction concepts and less focus on stories that ONLY have the purpose of charactisation.

My favourite TNG episode is Conspiracy in which mind controlling aliens invade Earth, I find this a facinating concept to deal with and it has echos of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Another thing that I like about this episode is that the aliens are not entirely an evil stereotype as they do not actually intend any physical harm and the wish to "co-exist".

This does not mean that I completely dislike episodes in which the characters evolve or are explored in some way. The Measure of a Man is a great example of the exploration of the rights of the individual and the sci-fi basis of the show is upheld due to the fact that Data is an android.

I guess the major thing that I enjoy is that stand-alone episode feel where a story arc is not the major part of the evolution of the show, this allows many aspects to be shown with new and different threats and this is why I prefer TNG and TOS to DS9 and Voyager.

1.) Definately ones with character development, ( as pretty much everyone before me has said)

2.) Ones that make you think (like Ship in a Bottle- i really liked that one)

3.) Humorous ones ( eps. Q or Data ones)

But of course it also depends on the mood I'm in

Guest Ktrek

After thinking about this question, which is an interesting question by the way, I have come to the conclusion that all my favorite episodes have connected with me on an "emotional" level. I like seeing all the special effects. I like character development. I like "good" dialogue. However, if a show does not connect with me emotionally it fails to register as worthy of more contemplation. I don't care if I laugh, cry, shout, or whatever, as long as that connection is there it will make a lasting enough impact on me to be considered a "favorite episode". Thanks for the question! :wow:

Ktrek

After thinking about this question, which is an interesting question by the way, I have come to the conclusion that all my favorite episodes have connected with me on an "emotional" level. I like seeing all the special effects. I like character development. I like "good" dialogue. However, if a show does not connect with me emotionally it fails to register as worthy of more contemplation. I don't care if I laugh, cry, shout, or whatever, as long as that connection is there it will make a lasting enough impact on me to be considered a "favorite episode". Thanks for the question! :D

Ktrek

Good answer ktrek! Ok, I'm adding that as my 4th reason, cause thats how I feel too! For example I especially like the offspring- not only cause its a data episode :wow: (sigh) , but whats nice about it, is that its really funny, but also really sad at the same time.

Good question. For me I would have to say it’s a combination of a good plot, (The Best of Both Worlds), one that makes you think (Frame of Mind), and/or are humorous (Deja Q). I prefer episodes that are for the most part, not based in the holodeck, or on a planet. Those episodes just don’t seem very science fiction to me.

Well my fav eps all include Bev(of course :D ) like Crims I have to be able to watch it three-four times and still laugh and or feel it emotionaly... and the acting has to be good like "Sub Rosa" and with what bassgirl said all the eps make me think about what the world can be someday... and then you snap back to reality while your moms yelling at the driver who just cut you off.. :D I also love eps that make me laugh like in "Chain of Command"

Click for Spoiler:

when they were in the bar and they were trying to convince the Ferangi(i know thats not spelled right at least I don't think it is) and when both Picard and Worf had failed Bev comes and saves the day...lol I laughed so hard while watching that you wouldn't beleive... :D

any way you could sum it up to liking every major Bev ep.. :wow:

all hail Bev!! :D

I really like that scene with Bev too.

Sub Rosa is surprisingly spicy for TRek. I was kind of shock a couple of times with that one. Its good though

I remember reading somewhere that they were a little worried that certain scenes in Sub Rosa were a little too risque for a TV shows.

Guest Guest

HELP!! It wont let me sign in! (this is dsbs, by the way...)

HELP!! It wont let me sign in! (this is dsbs, by the way...)

dsbs e-mail me at kevin@startrekfans.net and explain what's happening when you try to log on.

I don't think I welcomed you to the board yet Danny. Welcome! 

I was actually one of the first to be registered on the old forum (before we made the switch to this one. Check my register date) but thank you anyways ;)

I had no idea this topic would spark such interest. :cool:

Great question Dan (welcome to the boards by the way)

What I looked for in my favorite episode was a combination of story (How true to the premise of this series, which was to explore and seek out new life, it was) and character development. Its hard for me to choose a "Favorite" episode because there were so many, but one of my favorites was the 5th season episode Darmok. This episode, its story, the characters, everything about it, is what star trek is about. The character interaction between Picard and Dathon (Paul Windfeild did a marvalous performance) was great, and the story about communication is trek at its best. Not only that, but you also get a connection to the Epic of Gilgamesh which is one of the things TNG did best, connect our culture and its impact to that of the 24th century.

A variety of factors... entertaining, has a message- but doesn't take itself too seriously....makes you think...good character development, the well thought out development of cultures/political situations and consequences (DS9 exceled at this...) humour, emotion- ....Why is it that poor Beverley always seemed to have her heart broken?....but when I think about episodes like Sub Rosa, Phantasms, Time's Arrow and Masks it was the fact that little snippets were given to you each time.. a mystery.... :tear:

I love the humour but if the ep "moves" me i'll watch it again and again. Two good examplesof this are "The Inner Light" and " Measure of a Man". Very touching and thought provoking ep's.