Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Domestic Violence TV Show Leads to Shooting

I couldn't believe it when I read parts of this story. There are parts of this story that would be hilarious if someone had not died. The bold was added by me to the paragraph that I found to be incredulous.

Click for Spoiler:

OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - An Oklahoma woman shot her husband to death during a fight after the couple watched a daytime TV talk show on how to survive domestic violence, officials say.

Teri Lynn Carver, 35 is not facing charges for gunning down her husband Cecil, 38, at their home in the northeastern Oklahoma town of Rose because evidence at the scene suggested the death was an accident, District Attorney Gene Haynes said Monday.

Police and prosecutors said the couple was in bed on Feb. 24 smoking marijuana and watching a Montel Williams TV talk show on surviving a lover's attack. Teri told her husband that his actions resembled those of abusive husbands featured on the show, which caused Cecil to turn violent.

Cecil then struck his wife, fetched a handgun and fired a shot into the bed's headboard near Teri to show that he did not like his wife calling him a violent partner, police said, citing a statement the wife gave to investigators.

Teri then called for help and when her husband tried to wrestle the phone away from her, she reached for the gun. Teri shot her husband in the arm and the bullet entered his chest, killing him, police said.

Evidence at the scene and reports from neighbors seem to support Teri's statement, police said.

"The TV show gave them a reason to fight, but in a situation of domestic violence, they really don't need an excuse," said Lt. Pat Knowles, a police detective for Mayes County.

Wow, its sad. I hate Domestic Violence. But the world, its sooo filled with them....

--------

Once upon a world, filled with love and joy

The people loved God

God was thier savior

Twice upon a world, filled with hatered and violence

The Devil took over the world

The World is racked with power abusers and domestic Violence

The people tried to contact God, to repent the Devil himself

But God doesn't answer, leaving His people at the Mercy of the Devil himself

Wow, Takara. Yet another reason why it's a good idea to keep a trigger lock on a gun, and keep it locked, away from amunition, in a secure spot.

A Number of years ago there was a made for TV movie based on a true story called "The Burning Bed.: The movie starred Farah Fawcet, one of the original "Charlie's Angels." The night of that movie many women across the country ended up in emergency rooms; because angry, abusive husbands reacted to what ultimately happened to the abusive husband in that TV movie. People with violent behavior patterns, and other mental health problems can overly identify with and react strongly to what they see and hear on TV and the movies.

Wow, Takara. Yet another reason why it's a good idea to keep a trigger lock on a gun, and keep it locked, away from amunition, in a secure spot.

Not really... They were smoking pot. That right there is why the man ended up dead. Pot impares judgement, so even if the gun was locked up, the man would'a probably unlocked it anyway.

okay, Cap, I understand you are young, and don't drink, and probably don't own a firearm. most people when drunk or stoned are lucky to have the coordination and depth perception to be able to unlock their front door. putting a gun with a key trigger lock in a combo-lock safe, maybe even with the added feature of a Master Lock on it, would prevent just about anyone who will blow more than a .08 or .09 from opening it.

okay, Cap, I understand you are young, and don't drink, and probably don't own a firearm. most people when drunk or stoned are lucky to have the coordination and depth perception to be able to unlock their front door. putting a gun with a key trigger lock in a combo-lock safe, maybe even with the added feature of a Master Lock on it, would prevent just about anyone who will blow more than a .08 or .09 from opening it.

I have a friend who drinks and smokes, and he has no coordination problems unless drinks/smokes to the point where he can't stand up.

My point, though, CJLP, is that the added security of having these locks, especially the "repetatively redundant" system, is that your average drunk can't get in.