Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Time Traverl - Alternate Timelines

I don't know anything about the science behind any of this but I love reading alternate history fiction and essays. I'm bit of a history buff so reading what other people think might have happened is good readin' to me anyway.

My theory is:

There is only one timeline. Changes to the past, present, and future only "alter" one existing timeline. The term alternate timeline would be used when the timeline is alterred to the point where it feels like you're in another reality of some kind. To get back to the proper timeline, one must repair the damage to the past.

This supports my theory that if you went back and killed your grandfather, you would still exist since you aren't a component of the changed future. You'd only "cease to exist" if you were in the present while your grandpa is killed in the past.

Click for Spoiler:

av-812.jpg

History is capricious...

Events in time can be erased, reworked, reversed, etc.

I think the infinity of alternate timelines are connected, and if one change is made in one past or future, then the rest will change thereafter....

Tell me if this makes sense to anyone besides me.....

Click for Spoiler:

desert7.jpg

tzintro1-1.giftzintro1-2.giftzintro2.giftzintro3.gif

:assimilated::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated:

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Doctor Who official website

Doctor Who: The Best Links

USS Aurora NX-19 of the year 2154 AD

The Adventures of drwho42 continues....

320x240.jpg

announce.jpg

'And Now For Something Completely Different....'-Announcer

Monty Python's Flying Circus

aurora.jpg

I think Christopher Lloyd explained all of this to Michael J Fox before but it's been a while since I've seen those movies.

I think Christopher Lloyd explained all of this to Michael J Fox before but it's been a while since I've seen those movies.

Click for Spoiler:

av-812.jpg

lol I know....

Dr. Emmitt Brown, discoverer of the Flux Capacitor (Back to the Future trilogy)...

It requires 1.21 gigawatz to power it....

Well, I like time-travel....

Click for Spoiler:

desert7.jpg

tzintro1-1.giftzintro1-2.giftzintro2.giftzintro3.gif

:assimilated::assimilated::assimilated::assimilated:

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Doctor Who official website

Doctor Who: The Best Links

USS Aurora NX-19 of the year 2154 AD

The Adventures of drwho42 continues....

320x240.jpg

announce.jpg

'And Now For Something Completely Different....'-Announcer

Monty Python's Flying Circus

aurora.jpg

Believe it or not, BTTF movies were very close to how time travel works. There's only 2 things that I believe would not happen in reallity.

1. The pictures would remain unaffected, and if they are, why aren't the time travelers memories affected as well?

2. When Biff stole the time machine in BTTF-P2 while Doc and Marty were in the future, Biff should have returned to the future of alternate 1985, changing instantaneously arround Doc and Marty.

I think they added the picture thing as more of a story device, marty could see if he was fixing things. They are just movies so there has to be some leeway in regards to the science.

I think they added the picture thing as more of a story device, marty could see if he was fixing things. They are just movies so there has to be some leeway in regards to the science.

I totally agree. I think the "picture" element was for the story. Besides, if some movies can bend real science for the story, why not bend fictional science? :clap: