TransporterMalfunction

Who was the better television producer?

Who was a better producer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who was a better producer?

• Gene Roddenberry
    • Rod Serling
    • Chris Carter

Serling was certainly the better writer/producer, but on the sole title of producer I am not sure who is the best.

In one way I want to vote for Roddenberry because his series has lived on into a film franchise and developed into new series of TV. However, the quality and length of the Twilight Zone show the genius of Serling.

I had to vote for Rodenberry, as I....have seen, what, two episodes of twilight zone. Maybe thats not much of a reason, but I love star trek anyways, and admire the spectacular job he's done on it (if only he could see it now...or not?). The whole show was and still is ahead of its time.

Gene Roddenberry. Serling was good but he did not create Star Trek. :wow: The body of his work (including spin-offs, prequels, sequels, whatever) falls far short of how far ST has come. However, I sometimes still see a TZ I never saw before and it still freaks me out but the same and MUCH more will someday be said about Trek.

Rod Serling, rest his soul, was a far better writer then Gene. As for the producing end, that's a little tougher. Gene, I believe, had far more resources and a little more power then Rod and understood the complexities of being a producer and executive producer better as well. Rod was more a writer and idea man and was actually happier staying out of the producers realm and just write. Most of his best stories were produced by others.

Rod Serling.

I love the Twilight Zone! :lol:

I even have a dozen or so books featuring the TZ episodes in short story format...I've read them dozens of times,and still read them....

Gene Roddenberry was great,too....

I also liked Serling's Night Gallery....the man was an absolutely brilliant writer and producer.... :dude:

Lets not forget that Serling's TZ has continued to live on as well,and has spun off many motion pictures....

And,in literary circles,Serling has been generally praised by other writers far more than Roddenberry..... :clap:

Edited by admiralpeewee

I love Gene Rodenberry, but I feel Rod Serling was a genius, and was the better producer.

I don't know if it's really a fair compairison. They are both Sci-Fi but they are 2 different genre's of Sci-Fi.

I think Gene's overall vision was so much more far reaching and encompased an entire future existance. Not just human but a future with thousands upon thousands of alien races. Gene's vision, I believe is unmatched in any genre.

Rod had a real talent for telling the "Thriller sci-fi" kind of story. He could take an everyday event like a man buying a newspaper and turn it into a "Twilite Zone". Gene could take a normal everyday event and make it an "out of this world" experience, like getting married right before a ship of Romulans cross the boarder and destroy your outposts.

So I'll vote for Gene, but it really could be seen as apples and oranges.

Voted for Carter because I wanted to throw a bone to him. Plus I did enjoy the X-files, and two other shows I really liked (Lone Gunmen and Millenium.) It was ashame to see those two go off the air. Harsh Realms was alright, but I didn't see the appeal of the film. Also he was a big fan of Kolchak the Night Stalker (which he admited was a major influence to Xfiles) and even casted Darren Mcgavin in a guest role (but not as Carl Kolchak.)

Rod Serling was a genius writer/creator, it's too bad some of his other projects didn't pan out as well as night gallery and Twlight Zone. Also at one time I saw him as a game show host which wasn't a big thrill for me.

Gene did a great job with Star Trek, but I didn't vote for him because I never caught any of his other TV productions (The Lieutenant, Questar Tapes if it was produced, or New Genesis.)

I don't know if it's really a fair compairison. They are both Sci-Fi but they are 2 different genre's of Sci-Fi.

So I'll vote for Gene, but it really could be seen as apples and oranges.

Excellent point. :tear: