Sign in to follow this  
Surax

characters

Since this new season started, Enterprise has been getting better. I think most people would agree that the episodes are improving.

However I find them lacking something. The ideas are good, the plots are good, the action is good. But they are not GREAT.

After much thought, I think I have found that missing piece. Character.

I do not like these characters enough to care what happens to them. In Azati Prime last night (and I'll try to avoid spoiling), although I was rooting for Archer, I didn't really care that much whether he completed his mission or not. He isn't developed enough.

Throughout the entire series, the episodes I have most like combine action and character development. Like the episode where we see Mayweather's mothership. We see his character developed and we see him kick some Nausiccan *buttocks*.

Even episodes without as much action. I really enjoyed Hoshi trying to find Reed's favourite food.

If they had saved this season for later, when we cared more about these characters, this would have been a great season. But not it's just really good.

That was why I love DS9 the best. Because they could have interesting plots, while at the same time, develop some of the best characters in any of the series.

I'd like to know what's up with T'pol? Is she going to toss aside her Vulcan beliefs and become fully emotional? In the latest episode she was more emotional and irrational than the rest of the crew... Spock was never that willy-vanilly... :wow:

I agree that there has been to little character development, but I think they are improving. The first part of this season was to much action and almost no character development, but the later episodes have been a good mix between action and character development (IMO).

I like the way they are going with T'Pol, they have already done so many typical Vulcans throughout all the series. I think that she is way more interesting this way then just another emotionless Vulcan.

I agree that the show is getting better this season but is lacking from character driven episodes. The emphasis on Archer particularly this season has been a bad choice because he has become so one dimensional and therefore less interesting as a character.

But I don't find that I don't care about what happens - I think of all the incarnations of Trek these might be the ones I care most about and that is a tribute to the acting ability of the cast even given the fact that this season they have just been driving the narrative.

The Vulcan Ambassador was right. T'Pol has spent too much time with humans. She has become corrupt.

I think that one important aspect of Archer missing is that we haven't really seen him in anguish. Even Picard broke down sometimes...

We haven't really seen that from Archer...thus making him less human.

I like Archer more this season. He never intended to be a warrior or a savior of humanity, he was a test pilot and an explorer. The Xindi attack has made him become something he wasn't prepared for. I am dissapointed in the way the show has handled T'pol, she's become pathetically emotional, I was hoping for some real character development for Trip as well. I find the Xindi guest characters more interesting than the Enterprise crew, I think Enterprise really needs some new creative blood. There a lot really good trek novels out there, they should get some of the authors to try their hands at scriptwriting. Whoever's writing Enterprise now have no idea what they are doing. I don't even make a point to watch the show myself anymore, I don't care what happens, because whatever does it will be pointless and I don't really care about any of the characters anymore.

I like Archer more this season. He never intended to be a warrior or a savior of humanity, he was a test pilot and an explorer. The Xindi attack has made him become something he wasn't prepared for. I am dissapointed in the way the show has handled T'pol, she's become pathetically emotional, I was hoping for some real character development for Trip as well. I find the Xindi guest characters more interesting than the Enterprise crew, I think Enterprise really needs some new creative blood. There a lot really good trek novels out there, they should get some of the authors to try their hands at scriptwriting. Whoever's writing Enterprise now have no idea what they are doing. I don't even make a point to watch the show myself anymore, I don't care what happens, because whatever does it will be pointless and I don't really care about any of the characters anymore.

I guess my opinion would be a bit different. I really dislike over characterisation and prefer action adventure in the TOS style with the odd touch of development here and there. IMO Enterprise is the best show since TNG.

The Vulcan Ambassador was right.  T'Pol has spent too much time with humans.  She has become corrupt.

Spock and Tuvok did just find around humans, I think Vulcan men are better equipt to deal with stress and principals. ;)

Spock and Tuvok did just find around humans, I think Vulcan men are better equipt to deal with stress and principals. ;)

In the 22'th century, Vulcans were probably not as good at surpressing emotions as they will be later on.

And they were not used to being around other species at the extent that T'Pol is.

Edited by Stelfan

In the 22'th century, Vulcans were probably not as good at surpressing emotions as they will be later on.

And they were not used to being around other species at the extent that T'Pol is.

logical!

Guest Guest

Actually, new info has recently come to light from very official sources. I'm not going to reveal what it is 'cause it's a huge spoiler, but it's not entirely her fault she's emotional. Go to Trek Today for info.