Sign in to follow this  
master_q

David R. George III Chat Transcript

master_q: Hello Star Trek fans! I want to welcome David R. George III, a distinguished Star Trek author, to the StarTrekFans.net chat room.

David_R._George_III has joined the chat.

Deanna_Troi_Fan_Lizzy: hi

Indy: welcome

Cougar: hey

Deanna_Troi_Fan_Lizzy: he is here

Cougar: *bows*

master_q: Hello David :laugh:

master_q: Thanks so much for coming.

Indy: *applause*

David_R._George_III: Hello, George, and hello, everybody!

spacetigger: Hello David

David_R._George_III: Thanks for inviting me.

lt_van_roy: *welcome*

Cougar: your welcome

[Part I]

master_q: Thanks for making time come, David. :blink: How are you doing?

David_R._George_III: I'm doing well, George, thanks. And thanks also for inviting me to this chat in the first place, and to all those who have joined us here today.

David_R._George_III: By the way, you introduced me as "distinguished." I'm not sure how many people who know me would agree.

David_R._George_III: And a quick warning: if I somehow disappear, give me a moment to get back...you never know when I'm going to hit the wrong key and log myself out.

master_q: How did you get your start in becoming an author?

David_R._George_III: Well, I've actually wanted to be a writer since I was very young, and I began writing even as a child.

David_R._George_III: Because I was never much for the "starving artist" experience, though, I didn't pursue writing professionally until after I'd completed my undergraduate and graduate studies (in mathematics, scientific computing, writing, and philosophy).

David_R._George_III: Then I wrote several television scripts, which allowed me to procure an agent (a few agents over time, actually).

David_R._George_III: Unfortunately, none of the agents were particularly good, and they had difficulty getting my work seen in a timely fashion. I had a couple of shows interested in me just before they went off the air, so that didn't help much.

David_R._George_III: My first break just happened to be with "Star Trek--Voyager." A friend of mine worked on the show as the script supervisor, and he and I came up with several stories and pitched to the producers.

David_R._George_III: We ended up selling a first-season episode, "Prime Factors."

master_q: Let's expand on that-- how did that take you in becoming an author of Star Trek novels?

David_R._George_III: Through my friend who was a script supervisor on the show, I learned that one of the actors on "Deep Space Nine"--Armin Shimerman, who portrayed Quark--wanted not to direct, but to write.

David_R._George_III: So we suggested working on some stories with him, and he agreed. The three of us met several times to create some stories, and then we pitched to the producers.

David_R._George_III: We didn't end up selling anything, and afterward, Armin suggested that we turn one of our stories into a novel.

David_R._George_III: Our other friend was not interested, but Armin and I contacted one of the "Star Trek" editors over at Pocket Books, and they said that they would definitely be interested in publishing a book by Armin (and me).

David_R._George_III: But that we would still have to go through the same submission process as everybody else.

David_R._George_III: So Armin and I spent several weeks greatly expanding one of our television stories into something suitable for a novel, and we then submitted it to Pocket.

David_R._George_III: They purchased it fifteen minutes after receiving it.

master_q: What would your advice be for someone that would like to become an author of Star Trek novels or writer of Star Trek episodes?

David_R._George_III: The first question I'd ask somebody who professed such an interest would be: do you want to be a writer, or do you only want to write "Star Trek?"

David_R._George_III: The reason for this is that it's actually a good deal more difficult to write and sell media-tie-in fiction than it is to write and sell original material.

David_R._George_III: So if somebody wanted only to write "Trek," then I'd suggest they enter the annual Strange New Worlds short-story contest.

David_R._George_III: Unfortunately, that contest is open right now only to u.s. residents, and Canadian residents who do not reside in Quebec.

David_R._George_III: The key to becoming a writer, though, is to continually write. Hone your craft, learn and grow as an artist.

David_R._George_III: Nobody would suggest that a person who began to learn to play the piano last week make an attempt this week to play at Carnegie Hall.

David_R._George_III: Well, writing is an art and a craft like playing music, and it requires practice to become good.

David_R._George_III: It's exceedingly unlikely that the first thing you write, you then sell.

David_R._George_III: So if you want to write, "Trek" or otherwise, my strongest recommendation is simply to write, everyday, all the time.

master_q: David, what's your latest Star Trek novel? In a nutshell, what is it about?

David_R._George_III: My latest "Trek" novel is entitled olympus descending, and it will be published this coming February.

David_R._George_III: It will be one of two novels in worlds OF deep space nine, volume three, and will be one of the tales that continues the ongoing "DS9" saga.

David_R._George_III: My capitalization doesn't seem to be taking properly.

David_R._George_III: For those who might not know, more than a dozen works have been published that continue the "DS9" storyline forward from the end of the series.

David_R._George_III: Kira takes command, she gets a new first officer, we visit with familiar characters both on and off of the station, other new characters come aboard, and the tale keeps going.

David_R._George_III: "Olympus Descending" is my second foray into this ongoing saga; my first was the novel "Twilight.”

David_R._George_III: The conceit of the three-volume "Worlds of Deep Space Nine" series is to tell tales of six worlds--Cardassia, Andor, Bajor, Trill, Ferenginar, and the Dominion--that also continue the overall "DS9" storyline forward.

David_R._George_III: I've written the Dominion entry, which focuses primarily on Odo and the Great Link.

David_R._George_III: I've also got a short story in the upcoming "Tales from the Captain's Table" anthology, which will be out in June. Mine will be the Demora Sulu story.

David_R._George_III: Oh, and I am currently at work in a "Star Trek" (original series) trilogy, which will be out in 2006, to help celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the show.

[Part II]

master_q: Let's go into the main portion of the chat. Again, everyone will be taking turns... I will send you a private chat message letting you know when it is your turn. Please be sure to have any pop-up blockers off because that might prevent you from getting a private chat message.

Cougar: When you started writing, was star trek the only thing you wanted to write about?

David_R._George_III: No, actually, it wasn't. I've loved "Star Trek" for a very long time, but I've also wanted to be a writer for a very long time. I suppose it would have been natural to marry the two passions, but I really didn't, not until later.

David_R._George_III: And much as I still love "Trek," and love writing in that universe, I have a strong desire to also write in other milieus.

Cougar: Have you ever written a sci-fi novel that isn't star trek?

David_R._George_III: Not yet. And in truth, I doubt I ever will. I mean, I suppose it's possible, but I'm more likely to write a mainstream drama than science fiction.

JBMinuet: As a writer, who influenced you, and who influenced you to write Trek novels?

David_R._George_III: As a writer, I think I'm influenced in one way or another by just about every writer I read, every writer whose work I see onscreen.

David_R._George_III: Of course, those I enjoy and admire most are probably the ones who influence me most.

David_R._George_III: That would include John Irving, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Tom Robbins.

David_R._George_III: From the worlds of science fiction, that would include Alfred Bester, Theodore Sturgeon, and plenty of others.

David_R._George_III: As for influencing me to write "Trek," well, Armin Shimerman probably had the most impact on my decision to do that.

David_R._George_III: Just recalled another science fiction writer who influenced me a lot: Richard Matheson.

lt_van_roy: What book or story did you enjoy writing the most?

David_R._George_III: Wow, tough question. That's almost like asking which child a parent likes most.

lt_van_roy: My dad

David_R._George_III: Almost every project brings terrific moments, times when I feel like magic is happening.

David_R._George_III: And different projects bring different joys.

David_R._George_III: I just finished writing my Demora Sulu short story for "Tales from the Captain's Table," and I was delighted when I discovered...

David_R._George_III: ...an opportunity to include an allegory I hadn't anticipated when I'd begun writing it.

David_R._George_III: In some ways, whatever I'm writing when somebody asks me what I liked writing most, that's what I'd have to answer.

David_R._George_III: That was a bit confusing; I meant that I enjoy most whatever I'm working on at the moment.

Rick_Alverado: When writing Trek, do you prefer writing characters from the shows, or characters of your own creation?

David_R._George_III: On the one hand, here I have a chance to put words and actions to characters I love, which is always fun.

David_R._George_III: And that is most fun when I can discover something new about them, something that makes sense and is in character, but that we haven't seen before.

David_R._George_III: Characters that I create are also enjoyable, because I have a clean slate with which to begin.

David_R._George_III: And there's a mixture of the two. In "Serpents Among the Ruins," I got to write characters we'd seen (John Harriman and Demora Sulu), but that we didn't really know.

Indy: I really enjoyed the Andorian story which began in your novel, Twilight. Do you have a favorite species that you enjoy writing about?

David_R._George_III: I know this will probably sound lame in this "Stare Trek" and science fiction crowd, but...humans!

Indy: Good answer!

Indy: LOL

David_R._George_III: For me, it's all about character and the human condition.

David_R._George_III: Even when I write characters of other species, it's all about finding the truths in ourselves.

Indy: I agree with that

David_R._George_III: That said, I found it very difficult in my latest novel to write within the Great Link, although I think I ended up finding my way and doing a decent job.

David_R._George_III: And in "Twilight," I had great fun with a species I invented--the Vahni Vahlutpali--who communicated via color and pattern on their flesh.

Indy: Yes, that was fascinating

David_R._George_III: I also am pretty keen on Bajorans.

Indy: You described them very well, too

David_R._George_III: But really, no matter the species, it comes down to finding truths that we as humans can relate to.

David_R._George_III: Thanks, Indy. I'm glad you think so.

Indy: yw

David_R._George_III: One character (and species) that is great fun to write, but not necessarily easy, is Taran'atar, a Jem'Hadar.

David_R._George_III: The key there is to make sure I don't make him more human than he is, but at the same time, I have to write him in such a way that his motivations and emotions are understandable to the readers.

Indy: Yes, he was another very interesting character in that story.

David_R._George_III: He has a pretty large role in "Olympus Descending," in which the people who have been reading the ongoing "DS9" saga will find a couple of shocking events.

David_R._George_III: And let me just say that the editor in charge of the continuing "DS9" story is, in my opinion as a reader and fan, doing a phenomenal job.

Indy: Agreed

spacetigger: You mentioned that book you wrote with Armin..Was that your first book ?

David_R._George_III: Yes, Mike, "The 34th Rule" was my first published novel.

spacetigger: Just how did you meet Armin ?

David_R._George_III: I meant to mention the name of that editor at Pocket, but I see that I didn't. His name is Marco Palmieri.

David_R._George_III: Armin and I met through a mutual acquaintance who worked on the show as a script supervisor.

David_R._George_III: Armin wanted to write, and the three of us ended up brainstorming stories to pitch to the producers.

David_R._George_III: When we didn't sell any, Armin thought that we should pen a novel instead.

David_R._George_III: Our other friend wasn't interested, but Armin and I ended up expanding one of our stories into a novel tale, and we went from there.

David_R._George_III: Armin has since become a good friend, and I adore him and his wife, Kitty. They are terrific people

spacetigger: That worked out good for you..Thanks David..

David_R._George_III: It did indeed.

David_R._George_III: I published my first novel, and gained two wonderful friends.

JBMinuet: What was the best novel you have ever read, fiction and non fiction?

David_R._George_III: My favorite novel is "A Prayer for Owen Meany," by John Irving.

David_R._George_III: I also love "Love in the Time of Cholera," by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and "Jitterbug Perfume," by Tom Robbins, to name a couple more.

JBMinuet: Interesting choices

David_R._George_III: I also really enjoy reading the so-called classics, which I often find to have earned that designation.

JBMinuet: Well it is always har to argue with the Master.

JBMinuet: Thanks, you answers tell a lot about yourself.

David_R._George_III: Classics that come to mind that I loved include "The Red Badge of Courage," by Stephen Crane...

David_R._George_III: ..."The Catcher in the Rye," by j.d. Salinger...

JBMinuet: Your interests seem history oriented, yet I don't remember you having studied it.

David_R._George_III: ...and "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee.

JBMinuet: High School required reading, but they are the best.

David_R._George_III: I could name many more as well. I'm an avid reader.

JBMinuet: Thanks again for your answers

David_R._George_III: I actually read all of those as an adult, not in school. I always hated reading whatever they wanted me to read. A foolish, childish notion.

Ktrek: Hi David! Love your books! :thumbs I would like to know if you have any plans to do a sequel to "Serpents"? I would love some more Harriman books!

David_R._George_III: Ktrek, I'll answer you in a second, but I just want to go back to the favorite books question.

David_R._George_III: when it comes to science fiction, my favorites include "The Stars, My Destination" and "The Demolished Man," both by Alfred Bester...

David_R._George_III: ...and "I Am Legend" and others by Richard Matheson.

David_R._George_III: Now, on to Ktrek's question.

David_R._George_III: First, thanks for the kind words and your enthusiasm. I really appreciate it.

David_R._George_III: As for following up "Serpents," it's a possibility.

David_R._George_III: But right now, I'm hard at work on a TOS trilogy, so that will take up some time.

David_R._George_III: I must say, though, that I thoroughly enjoyed writing John Harriman, Demora Sulu, and the crew of the Enterprise-B.

David_R._George_III: I introduced that crew, but due to the dictates of the story in "Serpents," I didn't have enough time to do much more than introduce them.

David_R._George_III: hat being the case, I'd like to revisit them as well.

David_R._George_III: I certainly had great fun writing the Demora Sulu story I just finished (although it is likely to defy readers' expectations, which I also like to do).

David_R._George_III: So anyway, Ktrek, to answer your question, it is certainly possible that I return to Harriman, Sulu, and the Enterprise-B. I actually feel very proprietary about them

Ktrek: David can you tell us anything about your new trilogy? Approximate setting and period OF TOS?

David_R._George_III: I could, but then I'd have to kill you.

Ktrek: lol

Indy: LOL

spacetigger: :lol

David_R._George_III: Seriously, I really can't because I'm not entirely sure what the trilogy is going to look like yet.

David_R._George_III: My notion is that it will span all eras, and have something of an epic scope, but that's proven difficult to plot out.

David_R._George_III: I mean, is there anything we don't know or haven't seen about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy?

David_R._George_III: I do have some ideas, though, and I'm busily plotting it all out. I should have a clearer and more definitive idea of what the trilogy is going to be in the next few days.

David_R._George_III: I want it to be worthy of its place in helping to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the show.

Ktrek: Do you have any plans for "original" books? non-trek?

David_R._George_III: Yes, indeed I do.

David_R._George_III: I am working on both a mainstream novel and a dramatic screenplay.

Ktrek: Do you have a website for your fans to keep abreast?

David_R._George_III: Funny you should ask about a website. I'm actually working on building one right now. In fact, before I joined the chat, I had to put down a book I was reading on the subject.

David_R._George_III: I hope to have it online in the next month or two.

Ktrek: great!

Indy: Very cool

David_R._George_III: I love that enthusiasm!

Cougar: Do you have any plans to write another Trek Novel that isn't DS9 related? Such as Voyager, Enterprise, or TNG?

David_R._George_III: You mean other than the TOS trilogy I'm currently working on?

Cougar: yes

David_R._George_III: I'm amenable to any of the series, and it'll just depend on what I feel like doing once I'm done with trilogy, and what Pocket's needs are.

Cougar: ok

David_R._George_III: I'm certainly familiar enough with all of the shows to write any of them.

Cougar: even Enterprise?

David_R._George_III: It really all comes down to what it is I want to say, and if Pocket wants me.

David_R._George_III: Yes, even "Enterprise."

David_R._George_III: act, I keep going back and forth on whether or not to pitch to the show itself.

David_R._George_III: Let me try that again: In fact, I keep going back and forth on whether or not to pitch to the show itself.

Ktrek: David, Are you writing full time now? Or do you have another line of work? If so what do you do?

David_R._George_III: I'm a writer.

[Part III: FREE-FOR-ALL]

Daniel_Berry: Thanks David. And if you enjoyed this Live Chat, check out one that author Keith DeCandido took part in earlier: http://s7.invisionfree.com/index.php?showtopic=477

David_R._George_III: Yeah, I was happy that our chats didn't overlap.

Ktrek: me too!

David_R._George_III: Keith's a good guy, a good writer. And he's my editor on "Tales from the Captain's Table."

Daniel_Berry: Keith's website is http://DeCandido.net *grin*

David_R._George_III: Hasn't Keith copyrighted that *grin*?

Ktrek: We had a good chat with him!

David_R._George_III: I have no doubt.

Indy: I missed it :blink:

Ktrek: poor Indy!

Indy: I know!

JBMinuet: David looks like you need to create a web site, you are falling behind. O_o

David_R._George_III: Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm working on it.

David_R._George_III: I could have somebody else do it, but I'm more of a hands-on guy, so I want to do it myself. Which means I have to find the time.

JBMinuet: Yah, I created a web site with some help of a friend, it isn't easy and it does take a lot of time just to keep it maintained

David_R._George_III: I'm working on building my website, but I want it to look good, so I'm taking my time (what little time I have).

Daniel_Berry: What are you planning to have on the site, David?

JBMinuet: Took me a year to get it up and looking like I wanted it too, so I know how it is time wise.

David_R._George_III: Good question. That's part of the building process too, figuring out content.

David_R._George_III: I'm not sure there's all that much information about me that people will want to know.

David_R._George_III: But I at least want to have a portal where people can read about my work.

Ktrek: sure there is

JBMinuet: Well use the transcript from this chat, look at all the things we wanted to know.

David_R._George_III: And possibly learn what I'm working on.

Ktrek: We want to know where you like to vacation and stuff! Lol

Indy: And what you do in your spare time!

David_R._George_III: One thing I've thought about including is a section on so-called "easter eggs" in my work.

Indy: (If you have any)

Cougar: well I'm off to go to my friend's birthday party, we are playing laser tag, well gotta go bye, nice chatting with you David, bye

Ktrek: easter eggs in books? cool idea!

JBMinuet: More about who you are, married, not married, kids, ect...

David_R._George_III: My spare time comes at the expense of sleep. I figure I can sleep when I'm dead.

Indy: bye Cougar

David_R._George_III: Bye, Couigar. Have fun, and thanks for coming by and asking questions!

JBMinuet: The one thing I haven't seem on others authors website, is the very thing I found interesting here, how to be a writer.

Indy: I don't think I understand Easter Eggs in book. :tear:

David_R._George_III: Hmmm...maybe I'm using the term "easter eggs" incorrectly. I'm talking about little subtle continuity bits I've put in, or who I named after who, or which word is an anagram of which friend of mine, those sorts of things.

Ktrek: ahh

Indy: Ah, ok

Indy: That would be interesting

Ktrek: My mind went to easter eggs like on dvds

JBMinuet: Yes I remember reading some of those things

David_R._George_III: Things that if you find them, it's a little bit of added fun.

Indy: me, too

David_R._George_III: Well, being a writer is easy. Being a professional, not as much.

JBMinuet: My long time fav egg was the naming of the Jefferies Tubes

David_R._George_III: But in some ways, the first part is way more important.

Ktrek: does doing it professionally take some of the joy from it?

David_R._George_III: Jeffries Tube is a good one.

Indy: Was it in Twilight that we read about Leonard James Akaar?

David_R._George_III: No, not at all, Ktrek. It's just that making your living as a writer is necessarily more difficult than simply writing for yourself.

David_R._George_III: l.j. Akaar was indeed introduced--or re-introduced--in "Twilight."

JBMinuet: I write all the time, poetry, short stories, but nothing I have written so far is publishing quality, but as per you advice I will keep practicing.

Indy: Anybody not familiar with TOS wouldn't get that

David_R._George_III: That's what it takes, practice.

Indy: I enjoy links like that

Ktrek: yea I do too

David_R._George_III: No, and they don't need to in order to appreciate the character.

David_R._George_III: I like to include continuity, but mostly in relatively subtle ways.

JBMinuet: oh ya remember that now, the McCoy baby

Indy: It adds to my enjoyment of the book, when I recognize things like that

David_R._George_III: In "Twilight," Nog is knocked off his feet when he runs into Roness, and later when he runs into Taran'atar, and both times, I used the language to describe it that Kirk used in...

David_R._George_III: ...trying to teach Charlie Evans to fall properly.

JBMinuet: I know other writers have borrowed ideas from fans, have you ever done that David?

David_R._George_III: No, I haven't, and wouldn't. For me, I wouldn't consider that professional. But also, this is my art, and I feel the need to practice it on my own.

Ktrek: David, Have you heard if other authors are going to be able to write in the Voyager relaunch series besides Christie Golden?

JBMinuet: I am with you on that David, I hate it when ideas are borrowed and never credited.

David_R._George_III: I have not heard about who will be writing "Voyager" besides Christie, no.

Ktrek: I like her OK but I would like to see some other ideas brought into the series

JBMinuet: I had someone borrow a phrase from me though I was excited by it, was also lind of sad no one ever knew where it came form. ( Was not a trek show but other sci fi show. )

David_R._George_III: Really, JBMinuet, ideas are the easiest part of the process. Execution is key.

David_R._George_III: I'm not a big fan of borrowing, but that's just me.

Ktrek: David, Are you a Stargate fan? and how do you think it compares to current Trek?

JBMinuet: I understand that, write for rpg's, always have ideas, but not always able to get it across.

David_R._George_III: I feel I have a responsibility in practicing my art to do it myself.

JBMinuet: Good to know there are still writers out there with integrity.

David_R._George_III: I saw the original "Stargate" film, and to be honest, thought it was absolutely dreadful. I have not watched the series at all. I should have, because I know Armin did an episode, but he never tells me in time for me to watch him. Very frustrating.

Indy: I think the series is much better than the movie.

Rick_Alverado: The film and the show are very different from each other

Ktrek: Several Trek alumn have done episodes

Ktrek: yea the series is way better

David_R._George_III: JBMinuet, that's why I always stay away from fan fiction. I don't event want to take the chance of subconsciously purloining something from somebody.

Indy: The Nox episode with Armin was very good

JBMinuet: I disliked the movie as well, but watch the series to see my fav performers.

Indy: A very different character from Quark, lol

David_R._George_III: Actually, part of the reason I haven't seen "Stargate" is that I don't watch much television.

Ktrek: I saw where Stargate is soliciting authors David for books! Maybe you should consider getting the dvds and trying! :nono:

JBMinuet: I use the rpg's as practice, keeps me writing, but my best ideas are never there, they are left for other things.

David_R._George_III: I think Armin is a wonderful actor. I thought so before I met him. Last year, I saw him as the king in "Hamlet." He was spectacularly good.

Indy: He seems very versatile

JBMinuet: Armin is one of the actors I have not met, he's never been close enough to me for me to attend anything he was doing.

David_R._George_III: I'd consider it, Ktrek, but my plate is a bit full at the moment. Thanks for the heads-up, though. Maybe I can find some time. (Why do I even need the five hours of sleep a night anyway?)

Ktrek: lol

Indy: O_o

Rick_Alverado: They are accepting submissions during the month of November

Ktrek: hey I get an hour more than you! :P

JBMinuet: Who was it that said, " Sleep is a waste of time, I can do that when I am dead?

David_R._George_III: JBMinuet, I've done a few events with Armin--a book-signing at the Trek Experience in Vegas, for example--and so I've gotten to see him interact with fans.

Ktrek: I think David did! lol

Indy: David said that earlier in this chat, :)

JBMinuet: I have heard he was great with the fans, many enjoy talking with him

David_R._George_III: He is quite genuine with them, and really enjoys it. He's no different with them than he is in private. He's a really wonderful man.

JBMinuet: Well actually someone else said that before him, I think it might have been Sameul Clemens

Ktrek: they said the same thing about Deforest Kelley

David_R._George_III: Yeah, I said that about sleep earlier too. I usually get four to five hours, and wish I didn't even need that.

Rick_Alverado: Well, I have heard that the less stressed you are, the less sleep you need

Rick_Alverado: Which would explain why I am always tired

Ktrek: Well, I need to run! Been good chatting with you David!

JBMinuet: I have met many of the DS9 people, Kira, Bashir, Garak, Nog, Leeta, Rom... My fav was Andy and Nana

Ktrek: :koolaid

David_R._George_III: Nice chatting with you, Ktrek. Thanks for coming by.

David_R._George_III: I know Andy, and I've met Nana.

JBMinuet: Would luv to meet armin, but he seems to stay pretty busy, doesn't come over to the East Coast much.

David_R._George_III: Andy's a good guy, and Nana could not have been nicer.

David_R._George_III: Armin's done some shows on the East Coast. I think he did one in Jersey last year.

JBMinuet: Andy is great isn't he, talked to him a long time. Was just like sitting down with an old friend.

David_R._George_III: I have a good Andy story.

David_R._George_III: At least, I think it's good.

JBMinuet: Ok, I'd like to hear it!

David_R._George_III: As you might know, Andy put together a background for Garak, to aid him in his characterization.

David_R._George_III: He also decided to begin reading from that history at conventions, a dramatic reading when the stars are invited to showcase their talents.

David_R._George_III: Armin suggested to Andy that he enlist my aid to help him write a Garak novel.

David_R._George_III: Then I saw Andy do his reading.

David_R._George_III: A short time into it, I thought to myself, "Andy doesn't need me."

David_R._George_III: I subsequently spoke to Andy about writing a novel, told him that he didn't need me, and that I'd put him in touch with the right folks at Pocket if he wanted me to do so.

JBMinuet: A Stitch in Time, great book.

JBMinuet: So we have you to thank for it huh!

Indy: That is a great book

David_R._George_III: Eventually, he had me do so, and he ended up writing "A Stitch in Time," a fine, fine novel, regardless of it being "Trek."

David_R._George_III: Well, Andy actually thanked Armin and me in the acknowledgments of the book, which was nice of him to do. But yeah, I feel like I played a small role in that.

JBMinuet: I was actually one of the one who got to see him perform it with Sid, was fantastic.

JBMinuet: Andy is so talented.

David_R._George_III: Actually, that's a different piece, JBMinuet, one he and Sid wrote after Andy's initial writings.

David_R._George_III: Andy is indeed very talented.

JBMinuet: Yes I remember him saying it was based on it, sorry for the confusion.

David_R._George_III: I know that he's thought about it, but I haven't spoken to him in a while, so I'm not sure what he's decided to do.

Indy: Gosh, I just had a thought, I would love to see him on Enterprise

Indy: I so enjoyed Garak

JBMinuet: Nana ( another fan fav ) follows all the fan fiction written about her. She must never sleep either.

David_R._George_III: Andy is a fine actor, and a fine writer.

JBMinuet: Garak was a good character, and Andy knew just how to present him. It's funny when you meet him he isn't really anything like Garak, but he can flip a switch, and go right into the role.

JBMinuet: Is Armin that way David, or is he part Ferengi??

David_R._George_III: It's funny, but one time when Armin and I were plotting out "The 34th Rule," he suddenly leaned over the table and delivered a line as Quark.

David_R._George_III: The transformation was almost scary.

David_R._George_III: I've seen Armin a couple of times in his Quark makeup, and I've always had a difficult time seeing Armin in there. It seems impossible that he is Quark. That's how good an actor he is.

David_R._George_III: Well, I think I need to wrap it up. I've got to get back to Kirk and Spock and company.

JBMinuet: I hope to meet him some day, sounds like I won't be disappointed.

Indy: Thanks so much, David, it's been a pleasure chatting with you

David_R._George_III: I really appreciate George's invitation to this chat, and his moderating.

JBMinuet: Thanks again for answering all our question, you were a very interesting guest !!

Indy: MQ does a great job with these chats

master_q: It was no problem at all. Thank you so much for coming. :)

Ktrek: Thanks for chatting with us David! Sorry I couldn't have been here sooner!

spacetigger: Thanks for chatting with us David..Enjoyed it !

Indy: Nice to have you participating on the board, too

David_R._George_III: And thanks to all of you for being here and chatting.

Indy: I'll look forward to your TOS trilogy

David_R._George_III: I really enjoyed it. As I said, I love chatting with fans and readers.

JBMinuet: Yes, keep us up to date on your progress with it David !!

Indy: Post it on your website!! :laugh:

David_R._George_III: Will do. I post here on the site, mostly in the books section, so if you have any questions or want to talk about something, you can always check for me there.

David_R._George_III: lol. The website is coming, I promise. It might not have any content, but it's coming.

David_R._George_III: Thanks again, George.

David_R._George_III: Take care, all.

David_R._George_III has left the chat.