Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Bill Blair Chat Transcript

NOTE: Apologies to everyone for some of the technical difficulties. Maybe it is just me, but this new chat room seems not to agree with my computer. During the chat I got disconnected a couple of times and the chat room completely blacked out during the end of the chat, but overall the chat was a lot of fun and I want to thank Bill Blair so much for making time to come. We will do it again sometime. ;)

master_q: In this StarTrekFans.net Trek-News-Talk chat, I am very please to welcome Bill Blair, a popular "alien actor." Mr. Blair has played in over 35 episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, seven episodes of Voyager, an episode of Enterprise, and several other science-fiction films & series.

master_q: Mr. Blair, thank you so much for making time to come today. :laugh: Could you please tell us how you first got involved in acting, and how that led up to getting to work on several of the Star Trek series?

Bill_Blair: I started acting professionally in Chicago back in the early 80's.

Bill_Blair: A lot of this is on my website at www.AlienActor.com so I will condense it here...

Bill_Blair: After Chicago I went to Dallas and my first movie there was r.o.t.o.r. and then Robocop

Bill_Blair: After I came to LA I found a way on to Alien Nation and that led To Babylon 5 and then Star trek.

master_q: Mr. Blair, what was the first Star Trek episode you worked on? Could you tell us a little about your role in it?

Bill_Blair: My first episode of deep space nine was 'The House of Quark' as a Klingon. I was a member of the high council.

Bill_Blair: It was fun because I had interviewed several times for TNG but was never hired - it was only after getting the chance to replace someone on DS9 that they learned my abilities and then kept on bringing me back

master_q: What are some of the different Star Trek alien races you have played? Do you have a favorite?

Bill_Blair: I do love the Klingons - no matter the series or time and the change in looks - all know who and what Klingons are - I like the Cardassian make-up the best- very easy to work with and can create a lot with it - I have played most major races - Klingon, Cardassian, and a host of what we refer to as 'westmore aliens' those races not given a name but just appear on the station and in space now and then to date we have estimated I have played more than 35 races alone on star trek shows - oh yes Vulcan too most recently on enterprise

master_q: How long does the make-up process on average take?

master_q: Of course I assume there is large standard deviation on that average when dealing with all the different types of aliens

Bill_Blair: the average budgeted time for hair, make-up, and wardrobe to be camera ready is 2/12 to 3 hrs

Bill_Blair: the longest used to be the cardassian and the borg - but even those times have come down a little over the years

master_q: Basically all of the main Star Trek actors/actress that have had to go through the make-up process for several years have companied about it a little bit one way or another. You obvious also have to go through that long make-up process. Is that feeling mutual? :lol

Bill_Blair: no- i have never complained about it and really miss it when there is some time before i get to do it again - i missed seasons 2+3 of enterprise- but doing some again this season - it's good to be back:-)

master_q: Do your fans, Mr. Blair, recognize you under all the make-up (or do they need the credits)?

Bill_Blair: actually - on occasion one does know me out of make-up - once in disneyland a young man did - it was a great time we had on that occasion - mostly i am an unknown though - and i don't get screen credits for what i do

Bill_Blair: since what i do is non-speaking featured bits - that is not a credit role so my name has never been in a star trek show

Bill_Blair: a lot ask me why but it is just part of the rules of the business - sad to say:-(

master_q: I see.

master_q: Mr. Blair, when working on some of the different series of Star Trek, was there a different ---- unique atmosphere when dealing with one series compared to another?

master_q: How about Star Trek, in general, compared to other shows you have worked on (like Babylon 5)?

Bill_Blair: it's like apples and oranges - all are different - star trek is a big production and studio company - B5 was small and compact - so the experiences were/are quite different - both great - just different

Bill_ Blair: of course the money is always better on the bigger/larger productions/ studio shows:-)

sea trooper: What was it like working with Terry Farrell?

Bill_Blair: we had a great time - she is so wonderful to work with -( and of course easy on the eyes:-) - she talks to everyone and is really quite funny at times;-)

Bill_Blair: she signed one of her magazine model ads for me i still had around on set one day - she said' that promotion/ad bought her house for her:-)

sea trooper: Have you ever looked at one of your characters, and wondered "Is that really me?"

Bill_Blair: many times -when i pass a mirror after make-up is on - i have to stop and look again - all i can see of me are my eyes:-)

Kor37: Do you specialize in alien acting or do you still appear in other movies without the make-up?

Bill_Blair: i love the alien work - but i do a lot of other shows too - most recently 'joey' and now joan of arcadia, and 'house'

Bill_Blair: the past two seasons i was a regular on 'the division' which aired on the lifetime channel

Bill_Blair: i also just did a recent episode of charmed scheduled to air next month - i play a gangster of the 1930 -40's

jaz4debo: Hi Bill. I went to your web site, your pic~nice btw~ bears a resemblance to a character from DR. Quinn Medicine Woman, Horace. Any family link?

Bill_Blair: sorry - no:-)

jaz4debo: ok

Bill_Blair: next?

Cougar: On an episode, have you ever had to stop filming or reduce a scene due to a blooper?

Bill_Blair: personally? not directly - but last season on the division i was part of a scene where one character kept goofing lines and blamed it on me and on the gag reel talks about it and me as the problem while all were laughing hysterically

Bill_Blair: we have had to stop on occasion because a piece of the make-up has lifted or shifted and looks bad - so we stop and start again after a repair

Bill_Blair: i guess a bit of klingon or cardassian nose pealing off my be called 'a blooper' or would that be something else????????

Cougar: how is life on the set?

Bill_Blair: life on set is fun - boring at times while we wait for our scene - but it is always fun to me - and exciting at times for the people i get to work with - on star trek and other shows

Ktrek: Bill...I would like to know if there is a difference in working on the Star Trek productions VS Babylon 5 and what they were? and which did you enjoy more? Be honest even though this is a Star Trek chat! lol

Bill_Blair: that's a lot to go into here typing - but let me say that i enjoyed both equally for different reasons - a closer knit family atmosphere on B5 but a bigger more elaborate production on star trek

Bill_Blair: i enjoyed the klingon and cardassian most on star trek and the minbari and anrn most on B5

Essoq: Bill I've done some background work so I have to ask. What set has the best food? Can you even eat with the make-up on?

Bill_Blair: best food recently was on the division - great caterer - good food on star trek as they bring the food to us most of the time - we don't have to go out for it - and for make-up almost always can eat with it on except when i have a vertical alien mouth - then i drink my lunch

Bill_Blair: i have found the best catering people so far are - home on the range, limelight, toni's and mario's

Bill_Blair: and when we are catered on the lot for a sit-com - we eat very good and at the studio commissary which is also good most of the time

Jeanway: Did you sing the lead in "Precious and Few"? Tell me about "Strange Worlds" You know what I mean, don't you?

Jeanway: :(

Bill_Blair: i did not actually record with 'climax' on that song - and i was not the lead singer in that group - and i do not know 'strange worlds' -sorry:-(

Jeanway: k

Bill_Blair: by the way - to date we have estimated that i have portrayed somewhere around 75-80 different types of special effect characters in make-up:-)

spacetigger: What character did you recently play on Enterprise ? Did you get to speak or was it just a background alien?

Bill_Blair: this was another vulcan where we first encounter ta'pol from the original series much younger - to date - the role is featured background

Bill_Blair: actually - by specializing the way i do in non-speaking parts - i get to work a whole lot more:-)

spacetigger: Have you had lines to speak in past Star Trek shows ?

Bill_Blair: no

Spacetigger: That's cool..Thanks..

Bill_Blair: i have done some group speaking - as a klingon a few times - but nothing as a solo character

master_q: There is a DS9 movie / mini-series campaign out there----What are thoughts about that? Do you think it is probable?

Bill_Blair: when ds9 ended - most of the cast were not interested in doing more - i don't think there is anything going to happen in the near future - but then hollywood changes its mind faster than the weather

Bill_Blair: there was a time arnold didn't want to run for gov - but then see what happened?

Bill_Blair: i personally would love a ds9 movie - more work for me - it was a fun show and my fav to work on of the 3 series i've done so far - but i am not holding my breath on it

Essoq: You have the best job ever!

Bill_Blair: i think so - and i thank all of you for watching - for which if not - i would not have such a great job:-)

Bill_Blair: i look at it this way - you get to see what i do in my office from time to time - so one day i will come and watch you in yours - ok??? :busted

spacetigger: :lol

Kor37: Mr. Blair--have you done any of the Star Trek conventions?

Bill_Blair: i have done several star trek cons - a couple for the creation cons and 1 slanted fedora - i prefer the fan run star trek cons the best though and will not be doing anymore creation events in the near future if ever

Kor37: bad experience with Creation?

Bill_Blair: i will be at dark xams nov 12-14 which will have a good contingent of starfleet groups attending

Bill_Blair: very bad - not something i like to go in to in a chat room - but let's just say - they are more interested in their profit than the guests or the fans attending

Alterego: I hear that!

Kor37: agreed

Ktrek: Bill I would like to ask if you have tried to land roles in Stargate or Andromeda? And if you might be on those shows any time soon?

Bill_Blair: i would love to but they both film in canada and not much chance of my being hired there:-(

Ktrek: ahh

Ktrek: more American jobs outsourced! :look:

Bill_Blair: canada makes it hard for americans to work there - while we allow it very easy for them here

Bill_Blair: most actors you see in shows filmed in canada actually are dual citizens of here and there

michael2-: Bill Blair since when are you fan of star trek?

Bill_Blair: i started watching trek almost from the beginning in 1966

BeyondGoodAndEvil: I'd like to here your thoughts on the failures of modern TV based Sci-Fi series... Do you believe that Sci-fi is intrinsically character or special effects driven genre and why? Do you think America is ready for a Tarkovsky type tv series like Solaris?

Bill_Blair: a lot of failed sci- fi here is due to paramount and the behind the scenes 'campaigning' against completion to star trek-

Bill_Blair: i dont think sci-fi has to be special effect character driven - think like fantasy island - that was in it's own way sci-fi and fantasy - it worked well

Bill_Blair: i think something like solaris would be good - and i too am working toward something sci-fi for tv as well - but that's all i can say here about that

Pittykitty: What do you do in your spare time?

Bill_Blair: as actors - in the beginning - our spare time is spent looking for more work - outside that - i love to go to las vegas , work on my house, and just enjoy the outdoors

Bill_Blair: and of course attend conventions and meet great fans like all you

Bill_Blair: any last questions before i have to leave?

jaz4debo: Mr. Blair, are you a fan of any sports team, NFL maybe?

Bill_Blair: i still follow cleveland sports teams as that is where i grew up:-)

Bill_Blair: and i do follow LA teams now that i am here - but i don't much care for the lakers:-)

jaz4debo: ;)

Kor37: Cleveland?...Then....thanks for sending us your football team...lol

Bill_Blair: your welcome:-) i rally didn't like Art M. for doing that:-)

Kor37: don't blame you...lol

Ktrek: Thank you for chatting with us Bill!!! :koolaid

Bill_Blair: it's been fun chatting here - would be happy to do it again sometime

michael2-: Would you like to go really into deep space?

Essoq: Thanks bill!

Bill_Blair: as for the convention question earlier - we 've had the bill blair birthday celebrity cruise the last 2 years which has had a good number of star trek fans on board

Bill_Blair: in to deep space? sure - love to see what's out there

Bill_Blair: this year we are having the bill blair birthday celebrity landing party - in las vegas - in august - if anyone is interested

michael2-: las vegas is a little far for me :eek:

Ktrek: Will info about the event be on your website? http://www.alienactor.com/

Bill_Blair: yes - we will have convention info up there by the end of the year

Essoq: Wish I could but I can't afford the air fair to Vegas. As soon as I become rich. :)

master_q: Thanks for coming. We will do it again. It has been fun! :)

jaz4debo: Thanks Bill!

Bill_Blair: and info on this past year's event very soon

spacetigger: Thanks for chatting with us Bill.. :)

michael2-: okay, tnx for chatting here Bill! Talk to you later :)

pittykitty: thanks

Ktrek: Thanks again Master_q for arranging the chat and to Bill especially!

Alterego: It has been great having you here, thanks for visiting us! Come back soon!

Kor37: Thank you Bill

Cougar: *waves* Thank you for the chat Bill

Bill_Blair: bye everyone - have a great weekend and happy halloween :assimilated :assimilated :assimilated

michael2-: Like they would say in Star Trek: Live Long And Prosper!

[Bill_Blair has left the chat]