Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Small, Sleek Shuttlecraft

type9-beauty.jpg

I was just thinking. What do you all think of Voyager's small, sleek shuttles? I loved the design and was glad they weren't dropped after the intro of the Delta Flyer. I also liked how the set for the shuttle was redressed for the Scout Ship in INSURRECTION. Anywho, what did you think of them?

Click for Spoiler:

voyager-shuttle.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

type9-model1.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

type9-model2.jpg

i liked them , although VOY would not be capable of holding 2 of them AND the Delta Flyer.

Also, there was only one shuttlebay, not 2 (as Chakotay said in an ep)..

Actually, Voyager had room to cary at least 5 shuttles, including the Delta Flyer. Also, Voyager did indeed have 2 shuttlebays. Here's where #2 is: You fly your shuttle to the aft of the ship, through the atmospheric field after the door opens, then land in the bay. You could then open a large door at the back wall, leading to shuttlebay 2 further inside the ship. This is official as it was publicated in Star Trek: The Magazine. The big question is: How did the Delta Flyer fit through the door seperating the two shuttlebays when it was made for normal-sized shuttles? B)

I really liked them; probably the best shuttle design there is. The only thng about them I don't care for is the little bit of wasted space at the rear. Enclosing some more of the back wouldn't have hurt the design much imho, and probably would've helped structural integrity. My favorite thing about these shuttles, however, is that they were organically bred with tribbles, hence the spontaneous growth in their numbers. B)

I thought they could be replicated in "parts" then assembled? Afterall, they did say that Shuttlebay 2, where both Delta Flyers were built, was the maintanance bay where shuttles were stored, repaired, and built. Shuttlebay 1, the larger bay, is where shuttles were kept ready to launch. I also like how Voyager had a recessed, inner shuttlebay, instead of a 2nd exterrior shuttlebay. Made the ship uniuqe.

Actually, Voyager had room to cary at least 5 shuttles, including the Delta Flyer.  Also, Voyager did indeed have 2 shuttlebays.  Here's where #2 is:  You fly your shuttle to the aft of the ship, through the atmospheric field after the door opens, then land in the bay.  You could then open a large door at the back wall, leading to shuttlebay 2 further inside the ship.  This is official as it was publicated in Star Trek: The Magazine.  The big question is: How did the Delta Flyer fit through the door seperating the two shuttlebays when it was made for normal-sized shuttles? B)

another thing u have to keep in mind is that the whole time throught the delta quadrant..they were lugging around nelix's ship .... i never understood how a ship the size of voyagers could manage to hold the flyer..several shuttles...and nelix's ship...i just seemed like it was impossible

btw his ship was used in nelixs last epsiode when he dropped torpedoes onto the asteroid to put up some shield grid...

I believe Neelix's ship was seen in 3 or 4 episodes. I can see them re-building shuttles and storring them in shuttlebay 2. I can also see them keeping the Delta Flyer in shuttlebay 1, allways ready to go. The big question is: Where did the Baxiel, Neelix's ship, go? Perhaps it was storred in a large cargo bay below the shuttle bay, in the belly of the ship?

Yeah I was watching Homestead where Neelix last used his ship. When it left the shuttle bay it BARELY had enough room to move through the bay doors. It was about the entire height of the shuttle bay and about half it's size.

Then there were those few times other ships were brought aboard - the other racer in "Drive", that guy's shuttle in "Counterpoint", etc... It must've been packed TIGHT in there. B)

It didn't look that way when we saw the shuttlebay interrior. I just assumed that the Delta Flyer & Racer Shuttle were on that wall, with the other shuttles on the other wall. What's strange is that we've seen shots where an alien ship docks in the shuttlebay and it's... empty. :dude:

Some of you may have seen this pic before, but I just found it a month or so ago and thought it was hilarious. :dude:

Click for Spoiler:

voyager-msd1a.jpg Edited by Ace

Some of you may have seen this pic before, but I just found it a month or so ago and thought it was hilarious. B)

Click for Spoiler:

voyager-msd1a.jpg

You're right, it is hilarious! :)

First of all that pic was Hilarious, and true to some extent. There is not enough room in the shuttle bays for Nelix's ship, the shuttles, and the delta flyer. The delta flyer is, according to Voyager's technical manual, Is actually so large It'd take out about a meter of the aft wall of the shuttlebay when it went through the door. In reference to the replication of the shuttle parts, yes they could be replicated, but not all the parts. Some parts of the shuttles were too complicated for the replicators to reproduce. When the delta flyer was built there was a lack of energy, an/or shuttle parts on Voyager, making it almost impossible to build any new ships, shuttles, or otherwise. I suppose one could address the problem of storage by using the transporter buffers to hold the shuttles' patterns, like he technique utilized by Scotty in one TNG episode.

First of all that pic was Hilarious, and true to some extent. There is not enough room in the shuttle bays for Nelix's ship, the shuttles, and the delta flyer. The delta flyer is, according to Voyager's technical manual, Is actually so large It'd take out about a meter of the aft wall of the shuttlebay when it went through the door. In reference to the replication of the shuttle parts, yes they could be replicated, but not all the parts. Some parts of the shuttles were too complicated for the replicators to reproduce. When the delta flyer was built there was a lack of energy, an/or shuttle parts on Voyager, making it almost impossible to build any new ships, shuttles, or otherwise.  I suppose one could address the problem of storage by using the transporter buffers to hold the shuttles' patterns, like he technique utilized by Scotty in one TNG episode.

True, not all shuttle parts would be replicated. My thought was that it'd be the "main components", then they'd used other parts from crashed/destroyed shuttles. The only times when they couldn't salvage shuttle parts would be if there was nothing left of the shuttle.

As for the size of the Delta Flyer... If the Delta Flyer is too large to fit in the shuttlebay, why have we seen shots where the shuttle is in the shuttlebay with other shuttlecraft?

The writers said that the Delta flyer is small enough to fit, but to get the interior dimensions shown by the show's sets, The exterior would need to be bigger, and thus te flyer would be too wide to fit through the shuttlebay doors. And, if Picard cares, The DS9 runabouts are Danube class runabouts. The history of shuttles, ships, fighters, and runabouts can be found at Bravofleet online.