Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

One disappointing thing about the new film...

...is it hasn't sparked much discussion about it around here. I've peeked in on other sites and the buzz over the new film is still very strong, no detail is too small to go over.

So why are we so dead?

I am a member at Roddenberry.com, and for a good while prior, and some time after the premiere, there was DEFINITELY discussion...and often heated, in many cases. I will say this film certainly has created a lot of talk-one way or the other. I do believe that it's had a fairly decent degree of discussion ,but I see your point, A. I have noted the falloff, as well, though I don't know if it's really been a personal point of regret,really, not to disparage your sentiment. The heated debates, I think are as well to die down..to me, by now, you have either seen it, or you haven't, you like, or love it..or not so much. Everyone has settled into their 'camp', if I may use the term, and, well, there you go..? But do I personally like talking about what I have-and with no negative context at all-labeled casually, 'Newtrek'...sure! I would welcome anyone who wants to discuss the film pm me, or the like....chast mutual appreciations of this or that, etc...it's surely a part of my own Trekfandom....

Edited by Voyager recruit

I think what VoyagerRecruit said about heated debate at other sites over the film may be why discussion has possibly trailed off here. It seems that the vast majority of STF members really liked the movie. There were a few minor nitpicks (like about the lack of Romulan ridges) but members here for the most part embraced the movie. When people agree on a topic the discussion ends quicker than if there are differing opinions.

From threads I read at other sites the same is true for the members there, the vast majority also embrace the film.

The discussions are mostly about various aspects with a sprinkling of celebrations of it.

Well most of what I have to talk about the new movie are complaints. And I really liked the movie, so I don't want to complain. I'm not one of those who shouts every time canon is broken and I don't focus on all of the technical stuff. I understand that the bridge had to look more like a modern view of the future. I understand that they had to redesign the costumes and the ships a bit. But if you want to discuss:

Bringing in old Spock? I understand wanting to pay tribute to the original Star Trek, but if that's the way it was done I'd rather they not have had Nimoy in the film. I love Spock, I love Nimoy, but that was done just badly. A star is going to explode and blow up Romulus? If I got this right, it wasn't even Romulus's star. They need this dubiously created red matter to spawn a black hole to swallow the star? Romulans use black holes to drive their ships! I should think they would be able to make one on their own. If only a drop of this conspicuously contrived red matter is needed and it's so volatile, then why on the Earth is Spock carrying around a whole blob of it? I mean... he's probably got all of the red matter in existence there on his ship. Is that very wise or logical? Don't get me started on the circumstances during which Kirk meets old Spock... those seem very artificial. And then Kirk and Spock don't get to build their own friendship but are told by old Spock that they are friends and poof they magically are.

You can beam to a ship that has been traveling away from you at at least warp 5 for at least a day? What the heck is that all about? That can't be possible.

They destroyed Vulcan. VULCAN? WHY? Not to mention that Romulus is now destroyed in "our" timeline. What the heck, guys? Great job destroying two long established planets. They couldn't just destroy a planet we'd never heard of. No. They had to destroy the planets of two great civilizations. That's like killing off one of the characters to me. Why don't they go ahead and destroy Qo'noS in the next movie. And then we'll blow up the EARTH!

SPOCK AND UHURA WHAT? An Orion girl in the Academy? Suuure.

Pike asking Kirk to be first officer? Was there nobody else on that ship who could serve in that capacity? Were Pike and Spock truly the only officers on the entire ship? Kirk hadn't even graduated the academy yet. And he gets his own command at the end of the film? They instantly promoted him to captain after that little adventure? His actions make him deserving of a commendation for sure, a reasonable promotion maybe, but a command of his own? And the newest freaking ship in the fleet? You're kidding me.

McCoy's eyes weren't blue.

I can probably think of more but it's about lunch time. There were so many holes in this film it's crazy. I really wish they had set it in our established universe. Wouldn't have been that hard, and like I said, I can accept certain changes. I think it would have been stronger if it had been set in the established universe and if old Spock hadn't appeared.

But I liked the movie! Don't think I didn't! I saw it twice and when it comes out on DVD I'm going to get it and watch it again because I really really liked it.

;) Sorry I asked! :)

That's exactly what I am talking about, every one of your points (and more) should have topics here; it's all being talked about elsewhere.

It should all be being discussed here too but all I hear are crickets.

The movie was entertaining but not memorable. I would have to see it at least a couple of more times to get familiar with it.

Yeah, topics may pick up after the DVD comes out and people really have a chance to absorb it.

Well, there's one thing I won't need to see again to discuss - or be disgusted by: Spock/Uhura. ;) 9.gif Seeing them in the transporter room made me want to vomit-smiley-9529.gif

What I was really hoping for was Kirk/Uhura, since she seemed (to me) to have a bit of a crush on Kirk (in "our" timeline). Oh well. I still liked the movie. :) Who knows? Maybe I'll get used to Spock/Uhura eventually.

I haven't discussed it much because of some of the hostility in some posts. That's something I try to avoid, even if it means staying away from threads, or entire sections, for days or weeks. :garak:

Man oh man, I can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch it 2 or 3 times in a row! :)

I have to say, that Ensign Beedril's comments, fir ex, about Young Jim's promotion straight to Captain does go so strogly against 'logic'..certainly, in the real world, no young military officer, even the finest examples of bravery, and sacrifice, would warrant such a promotion, I should think, from an initial rank. However, as we know, Trek is fiction-albeit great fiction...Jim has, as we know, in the original reality acheived something quite amazing, in retaining at least the captaincy, after having broken several Starfleet rules,some BIG ones...and been demoted...all part of a 'logical' plot to get Kirk back to where he truly belonged, granted...Young Jim accomplished the same 'world saving' objective here, if at a much younger age, and first-rank......but I have been able to set this issue aside, along with others, and still enjoy, and embrace the film, as many original-Trek fans have. As to what Bakula Babe said about being in other words skittish, one could say, about bringing upo the film, I understand what it's like to feel that way in general about a subject. If there have been too-strongly worded comments, then I think the thing to bear in mind, as always is, 'How would we feel if someone said this or that, using a specific word, or term, too harshly, about something we like...just a thought, gang, to ponder...whatever the subject. And, yes, I too am eagerly awaiting the dvd..especially the Klingons vs Narada!!!