Sign in to follow this  
bearded ape

DUI

i was the passenger in a DUI related accident recently, which i consider to be partly my fault because i did not take away the keys from the driver when i was well aware of the alcohol he had consumed. while i don't think i will be drinking for a long time, and the guy we hit will be ok, i was just wondering what you think the proper punishment for both a drunk driver who hurts someone should be, and what the punishment for a sober passenger who did not punch the driver out and take the keys should be. i cant talk to anyone i know to well about this, so i thought while i had internet access i would ask some people who have no connection to the situation. you cant say anything that would offend me, so just say what you think. thank you. if i seem a little wired right now, it is because i am. up until a day ago we thought the guy we had hit was going to die, and suddenly he wakes up and has no memory loss and is going to make a full recovery. if nothing else, anyone that reads this post, don't ever ride with anyone that has drunk ANYTHING, and don't ever drive drunk. you don't know what kind of pain you can inflict to innocent people until it is to late, and the kind of guilt you will feel after doing so. this will probably be my last post, but i would like to read your comments none the less. bye.

I know in California if anyone is injured in a drunk driving accident, even if the only person the driver hurts is himself, it is bumped up to a felony.

As for what should happen to the passenger, if the passenger offers to take the keys or discretely hides them when the drunk isn't looking I think that is all that can be done. Getting in a fight with a drunk isn't exactly legal either.

The drunk driver should lose his license for a long while and be liable for the bills of his victim. As for a passenger while morally you should have stopped the drunk from driving you have no legal obligation to do so. I would rather walk than accept a ride from a drunk, it would be smart to call a sober friend or a family member for a ride than to ride with a drunk.

I'm more concerned with what the consequences of passing field sobriety tests and failing a breathalyser test should be.