Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Illegal Jamming Of Noisy Cell Phone Talkers On The Rise

Illegal Jamming of Noisy Cell Phone Talkers On the Rise

Posted Nov 5th 2007 10:45AM by Terrence O'Brien

Filed under: Cell Phones, BlackBerry, E-Mail Addiction

They may be illegal, but cell phone jammers are becoming more and more popular. These devices, which can cost as little as $50 and be as small as a pack of cigarettes, work by sending out strong radio waves that interfere with cell phone antennas, resulting in a "No Signal" warning on the phone.

According to the New York Times, overseas exporters of the cell zapping boxes say shipments to the U.S. have increased recently. They've been shipping hundreds every month to owners of hair salons, restaurants, theaters, and even annoyed commuters who just want some peace and quiet.

The FCC and cell phone providers, like Verizon, have recently stepped up efforts to track down and punish not only retailers, but also the users of cell phone jammers -- first-time offenders can be fined up to $11,000. Some might think this a small price to pay for getting that yappy teen in the movie theater to shut up, but we're not quite ready to cough up that much money for a little silence.

This should be standard equipment for every restaurant and movie theater!.. :nono:

[This should be standard equipment for every restaurant and movie theater!.. :nono:

I agree cell phones are annoying, but they should not be blocked. What if someone, like myself once a week, who is on call for 24 do if no can get a hold of them while eating and watching a movie? They just stay at home and not going anywhere? What if your son while in college had to go to the E.R. and no could get a hold of you while where watching a movie or eating dinner?

Edited by Odie

People can put their phone on vibrate and they can go outside if they are in a restaurant or theatre. If people did that - there wouldn't be the need for blockers. I fully understand why businesses want to use them. Another reason just to wait for the DVD.

I have people come into the office to see me. While we're talking they'll answer the phone and just leave me sitting there...this is a business - they're monopolizing my time and they dont' even apologize. People are just a rude, selfish lot of people. :nono:

Someone has a heart attack, another person tries to call for medical attention, and BOOM some moron thinks it's clever to have a phone blocking device and the call cannot be made and precious time is lost.

Potentially very dangerous.

yeh, i think cell phone jammers are possibly the dumbest thing i have ever heard.. what if ur watching a movie, and all of a sudden your parent gets in a serious accident, and they call you to coem to the hospital to see them one last time... and, oh wait, there is a cell phone jammer on, and the call cannot go through, and your parent dies and you didn't even know it.. how would you feel? I'd punch the guy in the neck who had th ecell phone jammer...

As a member of the "older than dirt club" I can remember going to movies before cell phones existed or to restaurants; we survived - the world didn't end. People getting phone calls in restaurants and movie theatres aren't getting emergency calls - they're just selfish, inconsiderate people who have no manners who are engaging in yakking.

In those rare occasions that someone does have a heart attack in a restaurant or movie theatre there is a land phone to call for help (remember those)- there is probably even someone in the crowd who can help. Phones should be turned off or on vibrate when you go to restaurants - there is no reason at all, whatsover to engage in conversation in these places. If your phone buzzes go to the lobby.

On the other hand if people don't stop the cell phone rudeness some of these places may go out of business because no one wants to go and listen to all the inane blabbering.

Just curious - how many people have seen anyone have a heart attack in a movie or a restaurant?

I'd guess there are probably more deaths because of cell phones (distracted drivers) than people helped by them in emergencies.

Aside from the possible dangers with not being able to make a phonecall when absolutely necessary, what gives the jammers the right to prevent others from using phones? If I want to use a phone in a restaurant, what right do others have to stop me? Nor is it their right to decide what is considered "inane" or not. It's common politeness to turn a phone off when in the cinema though. So they find ringtones and people talking on phones to be annoying. So what? If they find it annoying when babies cry are they going to invent a "baby jammer" that sprays sleeping gas into their faces to keep them quiet? I would recommend that someone invents a "phone jammer jammer" that instantly causes a phone jammer to overload and explode in the hands of whomever is using one.

If you are in a cinema and someone refuses to turn off their phone and persist in disrupting the movie, you call a staff member and they will remove them from the theatre. Very simple.

well, i think its dumb.... theatres are incredibly loud, whats the matter if one guy is sitting there talking, im pretty sure you can still hear what is going on in the movie.. that slike someone yelling in your face and you have someone talking beside you.. its not a big deal, get over it! Its a free country.

I don't go to the movies to listen to other people talk on the phone, or to talk at all. I go to enjoy the movie, and if jerks are talking that is interferring with my entertainment that I paid money to enjoy. They don't make those announcements about being quiet as a joke, it's common courtesy and common sense to respect others rights to enjoy a movie in peace.

Same thing with restautants. Sure there's going to be some noise, but I'd didn't go to listen to someone talk on theie cell phone, or yell across the table, or hear some kid whine or cry through half the meal, I came to have a good meal and hopefully relax a bit.

I don't think cell phone jammers are very polite either, but working at a library, cell phone users can be disruptive and they need to think of someone else rather than just themselves imo.

well, i think its dumb.... theatres are incredibly loud, whats the matter if one guy is sitting there talking, im pretty sure you can still hear what is going on in the movie.. that slike someone yelling in your face and you have someone talking beside you.. its not a big deal, get over it! Its a free country.

LOB, you just proved my point - I'm not advocating jammers because they are illegal and there are places where they may be needed in emergency (though like I said that isn't why people are using them); however, your insistence on the right to be rude, selfish and inconsiderate is exactly what I'm talking about it. I know you're young and that's what's disturbing - that young people have no concept of common courtesy and there's no reason they should since "old" people dont' have it either.

Being a "free country" doesn't mean you have the right to mistreat other people. And last time I checked restaurants and movies weren't free. If I have to pay for something I expect the right to get what I paid for.

There is a state park I go to some times - it's quiet, peaceful, nothing but the sound of nature - a chance to commune with your soul - until some idiot with a cell phone comes yakking by. I can't believe it - how pitful to not be able to go one moment without flapping your jaws. Cell phone talkers are just like smokers - it's not just about you - you're contaminating your environment with your behavior.

LOB, you just proved my point - I'm not advocating jammers because they are illegal and there are places where they may be needed in emergency (though like I said that isn't why people are using them); however, your insistence on the right to be rude, selfish and inconsiderate is exactly what I'm talking about it. I know you're young and that's what's disturbing - that young people have no concept of common courtesy and there's no reason they should since "old" people dont' have it either.

Being a "free country" doesn't mean you have the right to mistreat other people. And last time I checked restaurants and movies weren't free. If I have to pay for something I expect the right to get what I paid for.

There is a state park I go to some times - it's quiet, peaceful, nothing but the sound of nature - a chance to commune with your soul - until some idiot with a cell phone comes yakking by. I can't believe it - how pitful to not be able to go one moment without flapping your jaws. Cell phone talkers are just like smokers - it's not just about you - you're contaminating your environment with your behavior.

I agree completely with UH. Before cell phones came along, we had very few problems that couldn't be handled. If you have an emergency and need to get ahold of someone in a restaurant or a theater, call the place of business and have them paged. Thats what used to happen and it worked just fine. If there is an emergency in a place of business and you have to make a call out, I defy you to find a business that doesn't have a land line.

Yeh, but people paid more money for the cell phone.. A movie costs like, what.. 20-30 bucks after everything? cell phone costs upwards of 200 bucks, at least for the good kind. Now, i have to say.. i have to been to toooooons of movies, and not once have i ever heard anyone talking on their cell phones.. and you know what, if you have a problem with someone talking on their phone, GO AND TELL THEM THAT.. don't just sit there being like "oh, my.. someone should do something about that" or "hey, i know, lets turn on an illegal electronic device and shut down the potentially important conversation! that seems to work". And don't say im rude. There are a lot of older people who talk on phones too. And a lot of older peopel are ruder then the young kids.

People don't pay money to go to the cinema to listen to people talking in the audience. They go there to watch a movie. As such, talking on a phone or otherwise is inappropriate in a cinema.

The larger issue here is we have lost our sense of civility. It wasn't long ago that if we had a problem with what someone else was doing we were free to tell that person to please knock it off, without fear of violent reprisal, and they were for the most part compliant. Now we call the cops for every little thing and look for ways to anonymously stop them. I think we as a society have lost our guts, and without justification. If you look at "aggrivation crime" statistics they are no higher than they were 20 years ago (with the possible exception of "road rage"), it's just that the media reports them more often.

I don't think this is a freedom of speech issue. The 1st Amendment was written for people who are trying to persuade the general public to adopt their viewpoint on this or that issue of significance. I don't think the general public really cares one way or another about whether it is my turn or her turn to pick up the dry cleaning.

Should people be more courteous with the use of their cell phones? Sure. However, the situation doesn't merit vigilantism, especially when you can simply tell the offending person to knock it off.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Working at the library, I see many people with and using cell phones. While a majority use them responsibly, a significant number ignore rules and don't turn them off or put them on vibrate. The ringing has briefly interrupted programs on a significant number of occasions. On rare occasions loud conversations disrupt other library patrons. Enough people misuse cell phones to make them a nuisance in the hands of some self absorbed individuals imo. This is not to mention those who use them in cars in Chicago in violation of the local ordinance against driving and using a cell phone (unless it's on hands-free). I've seen enough distracted cell phones users to try to give them a wide berth when possible. I'm just getting sick and tired of rude and thoughtless cell phone users. :nono:

I was in church yesterday and right in the middle of the priest's sermon........somebodys cell phone started ringing.............. :nono:

I was in church yesterday and right in the middle of the priest's sermon........somebodys cell phone started ringing.............. :nono:

Maybe it was God?

No.....it was this annoying lady that had to frantically look for her phone in order to shut it off.

A couple months ago my cell phone rang during a presentation - a presentation I was giving!

I was able to pass it off as intending for it to happen but it was embarrassing because I knew better.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

I'm sure God forgives her

God may........but I don't.....

You know she/he's just baiting you, right?

Besides people misunderstand forgiveness - it's not a blanket free pass to do anything. People still need to be held accountable but forgiveness is about you letting go of the anger, resentment and bitterness - which most psychologists will agree is in your best interest to do.