Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Julian Bashir

i heard ira say that bashir was one of the most hated characters in the series when it started.. i think this was part of his character development just so the fans would like him a little more

i heard ira say that bashir was one of the most hated characters in the series when it started.. i think this was part of his character development just so the fans would like him a little more

I think I heard that too, and that's why his and Miles friendship was developed as well as it was. I think it completely turned the character around and I believe he was one of the most liked characters by the time the series ended.

After Julian Bashir came out about being genetically enhanced and admitting that he could do loads of stuff he had kept hidden he became a far better character in my book. It was funny how Miles O'Brien took the piss out of him for being super smart. He developed as a character and was less weak and pitiful. Watching re-runs, you look at him differently as if to say ' i know your secret'. Before you knew, he had little to distinguish him. Kira had the whole 'boo hoo Bajoran thing' goin on. Odo could turn himself into a cocoanut. Sisko was the big black boss man. Garak the Cardassian. Dax the, well you know the rest lol But Bashir was a bit crap to begin with. Just some sissy doctor... then he's like, Khan 2.

I thought Julian's character was a bit annoying at first but he grew on me after season one. He was naive to begin with, as he had come straight out of medical school and he lacked experience. However, he was a brilliant doctor, even before we found out that had been genetically enhanced.

I found that after watching the episode 'Doctor Bashir, I Presume?" Julian had sort of 'come out' in a way and he was able to display his genetic enhancement without anyone being suspicious. It was also great that Miles accepted him for who he was, as a person and not what he had become (by being genetically enhanced).

Madam Captain out!!

I agree with you guys.

At the beginning, youth and all make him enthousiastic and all.

But it's hard to always have to hide a potential you have... The truth freed him, and that was just great. That bring him a new confidance too. Like he was suddently passing from a young man to a man.

And Bashir and O'brien.. that's a classic in my book :-)

I agree with you entirely about Julian and O'Brien's friendship - its a classic in my book too. I found it quite interesting that O'Brien really couldn't stand Julian at first but then he grew to like him and they became great friends. Even though these characters were quite dissimilar, personality wise, their relationship was very realistic. I loved those episodes when Julian and O'Brien went to fight some battle in the holosuite. I'm sure the two men were both in their element while 'playing' in the holosuite!!

Madam Captain out!!

Well.....

I guess I'm the lonely one who's different :clap:

I loved the character of Julian Bashir until the illegal enhancements stuff. It made everything he did before a lie and made this imperfect, young man, growing into the world of perfect 24th Century Starfleet officers just another one of them, instantly.

Also Julian's stereotypical English disfunctional family, (see also Reed in Enterprise), was insulting. No other race gets a family of misfits everytime, in Trek, just the English.

The ep where he got the enhancements was the last DS9 one I watched, apart from the last ever one. I've never sat through an ep since on re-runs and I won't be buying the DVD's.

Different strokes, I guess. :picard-sith:

Well.....

I guess I'm the lonely one who's different <_<

I loved the character of Julian Bashir until the illegal enhancements stuff.  It made everything he did before a lie and made this imperfect, young man, growing into the world of perfect 24th Century Starfleet officers just another one of them, instantly.

Also Julian's stereotypical English disfunctional family, (see also Reed in Enterprise), was insulting.  No other race gets a family of misfits everytime, in Trek, just the English.

The ep where he got the enhancements was the last DS9 one I watched, apart from the last ever one.  I've never sat through an ep since on re-runs and I won't be buying the DVD's.

Different strokes, I guess. :unsure:

I don't think it was ever established that his family was English though. It was always left "up in the air" as to where they were actually from.

To me, looking back at how well he always did in things this kind of explained why. He would "mess up" sometimes but we are led to assume that he would do that so he would seem "normal".

If you look back at the episode with the "Quickening" and take into account that he is "enhanced" it makes it more believable that he was able to come up with the cure while other "regular" doctors couldn't.

So I think it enhanced the character in far more ways then it took away from it.