Sign in to follow this  
Feddie

CBS and fan protests

Recently there was a comment made by a CBS Executive concerning the cancelation of the program "Jericho." Petitions, letters and 'nuts' sent to CBS/Viacom actually made the network reverse their decision and renew Jerhicho for 8 more episodes with a possible option to renew for a whole season. The executive actually used the words, "We've never seen anything like this!"

Excuse me!!! ??? !!!

Don't sit up their in their high and mighty chairs at the executive levels and say that Star Trek fans didn't try hard enough! Don't sit there and tell me they didn't know we protested when Star Trek: Enterprise was canceled. Don't tell me they didn't know that rallies were held world wide to protest (I spent 12 hours that day marcing at Paramout's main gates) ... that we didn't send letters, emails, phone calls, and faxes! Did they not get them? They've never seen anything like that? How the devil can they say that? Were there more Jericho fans than Star Trek fans? I doubt that!

I've watched Jericho from its beginnings too, and was sorry when it was canceled. I made no effort to join in any of the petitions to protest or ask for a renewal. Considering the results of how Star Trek - as an entire franchise - was treated, I figured there was no hope. But... then when I read, "we've never seen anything like this!" just made me boil.

:roflmao:

Linda

Edited by Feddie

It made me mad too. As much as I liked Jericho, I couldn't believe that its fans could bring Jericho back, but the fans of Enterprise couldn't bring it back. Maybe the execs at CBS are pushovers. They've never seen anything like that? Maybe not at CBS, but they sure have at Paramount!

Part of the problem (or maybe all of the problem) with bringing back Enterprise is that one the guys high up at Paramount (I can't think of his name) apparently hates scifi and Star Trek. I'm surprised that they're doing another Star Trek movie!

I'm happy for all the fans of Jericho, but if CBS has "never seen anything like it", they must not have been aound very long.

The fans delived 25 tons of peanuts to CBS as part of their protest. I haven't seen anything like that either.

Jericho had a much larger fan base than Enteprise - Jericho's rating were also much better to begin with. It was coming in 2nd or 3rd against some very powerful competition. ENT wasn't even available in all markets and when ENT was cancelled it had had four seasons of declining viewership.

Actually, Jericho isn't the first series CBS renewed due to fan protest - they brought back Due South and Touched by Angel as a result of fan protest - (the latter of which went on to be an immensely popular show).

Actually, Jericho isn't the first series CBS renewed due to fan protest - they brought back Due South and Touched by Angel as a result of fan protest - (the latter of which went on to be an immensely popular show).

Well, I guess if you put it that way.... We weren't all there just marching for Enterprise itself, but the whole franchise. I guess it wasn't enough.

Sorry guys... we tried. Where were you?

Well, I guess if you put it that way.... We weren't all there just marching for Enterprise itself, but the whole franchise. I guess it wasn't enough.

I emailed. I faxed. I made phone calls. But I am only one man. I did all that I could to get through to them.

My anger still seethes within me. I liked Enterprise. I could see that it was starting to turn around under Manny's guidance. I still believe that a fifth season would have been its best season. But the powers that be had other ideas.

By chance....you would happen to be "Linda Park", would you? :roflmao:

I emailed. I faxed. I made phone calls. But I am only one man. I did all that I could to get through to them.

My anger still seethes within me. I liked Enterprise. I could see that it was starting to turn around under Manny's guidance. I still believe that a fifth season would have been its best season. But the powers that be had other ideas.

By chance....you would happen to be "Linda Park", would you? :roflmao:

I think she really IS Linda Park and she was desperately trying to save her job!..... :lol:

Recently there was a comment made by a CBS Executive concerning the cancelation of the program "Jericho." Petitions, letters and 'nuts' sent to CBS/Viacom actually made the network reverse their decision and renew Jerhicho for 8 more episodes with a possible option to renew for a whole season. The executive actually used the words, "We've never seen anything like this!"

Excuse me!!! ??? !!!

Don't sit up their in their high and mighty chairs at the executive levels and say that Star Trek fans didn't try hard enough! Don't sit there and tell me they didn't know we protested when Star Trek: Enterprise was canceled. Don't tell me they didn't know that rallies were held world wide to protest (I spent 12 hours that day marcing at Paramout's main gates) ... that we didn't send letters, emails, phone calls, and faxes! Did they not get them? They've never seen anything like that? How the devil can they say that? Were there more Jericho fans than Star Trek fans? I doubt that!

I've watched Jericho from its beginnings too, and was sorry when it was canceled. I made no effort to join in any of the petitions to protest or ask for a renewal. Considering the results of how Star Trek - as an entire franchise - was treated, I figured there was no hope. But... then when I read, "we've never seen anything like this!" just made me boil.

The "world wide" rallies were vastly overexaggerated. There were only a relatively small number of people protesting outside the Paramount studios. The group responsible for the "Save Enterprise" campaign, "Trek United" led by Tim Brazeal, were a very small group who unfortunately believed they were the voice of the fanbase and spoke for the majority, when in fact they were nothing of the sort. Mass e-mails, faxes, letters and phonecalls simply become tiresome after a short while and it suggests to the studio that what they dealing with is just a small number of fanatics who do not actually represent the majority of the fanbase. As time went by, the tactics of Trek United became increasingly quixotic and fanatical such as the "funding season five" campaign which took place even after Paramount made it very clear in a letter to Mr Brazeal that no money from the fans would be accepted to fund further Enterprise seasons and Star Trek's official website made it clear that people donating money would do so at their own risk to groups that had no connection to the official franchise. Whereas the Jericho fans on the other hand took a humourous light-hearted approach and succeeded in their campaign.

It made me mad too. As much as I liked Jericho, I couldn't believe that its fans could bring Jericho back, but the fans of Enterprise couldn't bring it back. Maybe the execs at CBS are pushovers. They've never seen anything like that? Maybe not at CBS, but they sure have at Paramount!

Part of the problem (or maybe all of the problem) with bringing back Enterprise is that one the guys high up at Paramount (I can't think of his name) apparently hates scifi and Star Trek. I'm surprised that they're doing another Star Trek movie!

I'm happy for all the fans of Jericho, but if CBS has "never seen anything like it", they must not have been aound very long.

If you are referring to Les Moonves in the bold section I highlighted, then I'm afraid you too have bought into the false arguments raised to explain the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that a hatred of Star Trek and science-fiction was the reason why the "Save Enterprise" campaign failed so dismally. The reason stated by Paramount was low ratings and there no cause to doubt that. The demonisation of Les Moonves by Trek United, in posts, violent jokes, and even in an animation made on their behalf was one of the absurd tactics that group resorted to when it became obvious that they had failed. Today, the "Save Enterprise" campaign consists of around five people on Trek United's forums. Completely and utterly discredited.

In retrospect, I guess Enterprise fans would have fared better had they sent millions of tribbles to Paramount as a protest.... :laugh:

I think that there are as many theories as to why and who cancelled Enterprise. The fact remains that it was cancelled. The reasons are no longer important. What's done is done. And nothing and no one can change it.

And even if a decision were to be made about bringing Enterprise out of mothballs and resurrecting the show on Sci-Fi, I don't know if all of the actors would be willing to participate. They've moved on.

Perhaps we should too?

By chance....you would happen to be "Linda Park", would you? :laugh:

Sorry, no. Same name.... different attitude.

By chance....you would happen to be "Linda Park", would you? :laugh:

Sorry, no. Same name.... different attitude.

Darn. I was so hoping that you were her. I could have started your very own fan club here. :laugh:

I was stuck in the middle of nowhere. Australians dont hear about anything till the last minute. Well we used to. i try to promote this site as often as i can to friends cause its such a great trove of information and fabulous people. Sorry to go slightly off topic. :blush 2:

We weren't all there just marching for Enterprise itself, but the whole franchise. I guess it wasn't enough.

The march was for Enterprise alone. Initially it was "Save Enterprise" but only became "Trek United" when Brazeal realised that Enterprise fans were not substantial enough in numbers to make any difference. That group then shifted the goalposts and Brazeal would parrot the line that "Star Trek Was Dead" which was simply an attempt to create a hysteria among fans. A false situation where they had to support "Trek United" or Star Trek would never come back. But it simply wasn't true. Despite all the fears of Star Trek "dying" and the "Star Trek RIP" overreaction seen on numerous message boards, none of it was justified and the 2008 movie was announced, in addition to the online game coming also in 2008, and a possible online animated show.

'Lady Britannia' date='Jun 19 2007, 11:25 PM' post='408949'

The march was for Enterprise alone

Say what you want. "I" was there for Star Trek as a franchise first. And ENT as a series second.

When I started this thread I didn't know I was going to end up having to defend my march on Paramount, and protesting the cancellation. I knew it was a futile effort... but I loved it all that much. Just doing my part.

Sorry y'all. I'm new here. I'll keep personal thoughts to myself (like not liking CBS's reversal on Jericho).... and just agree with the majority.

Peace.... and long life.

Edited by Feddie

No Feddie.

One thing that you should be doing is expressing your opinion. That's what message boards are all about. Varying opinions of varying topics. All are open for debate. I personally believe that your march on Paramount was a valiant one that you should be proud of. You did more than most would have. Most fans just sat back and "took it", while others (yourself included) chose not to go quietly into the night, but rather made your feelings known to those who could make a difference.

Always feel free to voice your feelings here. IDIC also applies here.

Infinate Diversity Infinate Combinations.

Edited by Gummy

I sent emails and faxes and signed petitions too. If Enterprise had been on a main network or a sci-fi specialty network and not on the mini-network that it was, the protests may have had a better chance of working. Enterprise didn't bring in the demographics wanted - end of story. Before they shifted it to Friday nights (which is the 2nd lowest television viewing night in the US), Enterprise was one of its top rated series. They went out of their way to kill it because it didn't fit their vision of their network.

Enterprise was one of its top rated series. They went out of their way to kill it because it didn't fit their vision of their network.

That would be the network that tanked -

"Feddie"

Say what you want. "I" was there for Star Trek as a franchise first. And ENT as a series second.

The franchise wasn't under threat so it was pointless to be protesting for Star Trek as a whole because no one ever said that Star Trek was being cancelled forever, just ENT, and if you wanted to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack, then sadly you chose the wrong group to protest with.

When I started this thread I didn't know I was going to end up having to defend my march on Paramount, and protesting the cancellation. I knew it was a futile effort... but I loved it all that much. Just doing my part.

Everything has to be defended. Join "Trek United" and criticism had to follow, merely as a consequence of their words and actions.

"Takaka Soong"

I sent emails and faxes and signed petitions too.

E-mails tend to only bring automated responses. Polite and generic answers from a machine. Petitions are pointless too since they can be signed multiple times by those resourceful enough.

If Enterprise had been on a main network or a sci-fi specialty network and not on the mini-network that it was, the protests may have had a better chance of working.

Highly unlikely. The protests may have had a better chance of working only if they attracted a significant amount of support. They couldn't even attract the remaining viewers that ENT was left with at the end. Out of around three million viewers "Trek United" managed only around 4000 members, and most of them never made a single post on their website and they could only raise 140K for their campaign.

Enterprise didn't bring in the demographics wanted - end of story. Before they shifted it to Friday nights (which is the 2nd lowest television viewing night in the US), Enterprise was one of its top rated series.

WWE Smackdown prospers in the Friday night deathslot. Demographics or not, ENT's ratings were sliding drastically.

They went out of their way to kill it because it didn't fit their vision of their network.

More conspiracy theories. This is the kind of argument that so-harmed "Trek United".

They went out of their way to kill it because it didn't fit their vision of their network.

More conspiracy theories. This is the kind of argument that so-harmed "Trek United".

Going out of their way to kill it might be strong but it didn't fit the demographic for which they were seeking. It is no secret in the US that there are targeted demographics - ie the market that advertisers want to reach. So even if a show came in first in its timeslot - if it was popular with the 50+ crowd it could get pulled pretty quick. (that happened to Don Johnson a season or so ago - the show was on about two eps and they realized it was popular with 50 something women and dropped it. ah to be a male in the 18-49 age range - people actually think you're important. :laugh: One reason I got rid of cable is I was tired of hearing how unimportant I was - heck, if nobody wants me to watch their show I'll be glad to oblige them)

On the other hand Jericho got a second look because apparently some execs realized it wasn't just "nuts" watching the show but "professional" people - whatever those are. So, it's not just numbers but the "right kind of numbers"

I was really glad Jericho is getting a second chance - I think it is a tremendous show and should give people a lot to think about it. I've always found human behavior fascinating.

On the other hand I didn't care that ENT got cancelled

The only good thing is that there is enough Trek in reruns and on DVD (my personal collection), that I can see it anytime that I want. I for one, liked ENT, and was sorry that it got canceled. But it's on for four hours every Monday Night on the Sci-Fi Channel. So I get to see the ones that I may have missed.

"Gummy"

Wow.

Can you be any more negative?

I have no idea, since I don't know what you personally consider to be "negative".

"The Unicorn Hunter"

Going out of their way to kill it might be strong but it didn't fit the demographic for which they were seeking. It is no secret in the US that there are targeted demographics - ie the market that advertisers want to reach. So even if a show came in first in its timeslot - if it was popular with the 50+ crowd it could get pulled pretty quick. (that happened to Don Johnson a season or so ago - the show was on about two eps and they realized it was popular with 50 something women and dropped it. ah to be a male in the 18-49 age range - people actually think you're important. One reason I got rid of cable is I was tired of hearing how unimportant I was - heck, if nobody wants me to watch their show I'll be glad to oblige them)

Demographics matter of course, but ENT already began to show a ratings slide from very early on in its run. If the show had been been consistently drawing a good rating then the demographics wouldn't have mattered since I doubt strongly that a show pulling in good ratings would have been cancelled simply because the right kind of people (the target audience) weren't watching the show, especially with Star Trek which tends to have quite a diverse audience and fanbase.

<big snip>

If you are referring to Les Moonves in the bold section I highlighted, then I'm afraid you too have bought into the false arguments raised to explain the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that a hatred of Star Trek and science-fiction was the reason why the "Save Enterprise" campaign failed so dismally. The reason stated by Paramount was low ratings and there no cause to doubt that. The demonisation of Les Moonves by Trek United, in posts, violent jokes, and even in an animation made on their behalf was one of the absurd tactics that group resorted to when it became obvious that they had failed. Today, the "Save Enterprise" campaign consists of around five people on Trek United's forums. Completely and utterly discredited.

Sorry about being a little late with this, but yes, that's the name I couldn't remember. I read that rumor so many times, and in so many places, I figured it was true. :laugh: I also read that Enerprise's ratings were low, but I wasn't sure how low. Thanks for the extra info about Trek United :laugh: - I didn't know all that they were up to. They're still around? Wow, that's surprising! Maybe they can get someone to do an animated - or anime - Enterprise. Or maybe they could just do it themselves. It might be interesting.

If the show had been been consistently drawing a good rating then the demographics wouldn't have mattered since I doubt strongly that a show pulling in good ratings would have been cancelled simply because the right kind of people (the target audience) weren't watching the show, especially with Star Trek which tends to have quite a diverse audience and fanbase.

Well, just because you don't believe something - doesn't mean it isn't ture. Target demographics is how how it works in the US - there are target audiences. It shouldn't be hard for a person of reason to figure out - that if advertisers are marketing toward a certain demographic - ie people to buy thier producet - they aren't going to pay money for a show that isn't reaching their demographic - now matter how popular it is with another demographic. Now if advertisers targeting that other demographic step forward there may be hope for the series. Which has nothing to do with ENT - it didn't have ratings with any demographic.

That would be the network that tanked -

Yeah, that one. Found the name in some research for this response - UPN.

E-mails tend to only bring automated responses. Polite and generic answers from a machine. Petitions are pointless too since they can be signed multiple times by those resourceful enough.

Automated response from UPN - no response from CBS but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Highly unlikely. The protests may have had a better chance of working only if they attracted a significant amount of support. They couldn't even attract the remaining viewers that ENT was left with at the end. Out of around three million viewers "Trek United" managed only around 4000 members, and most of them never made a single post on their website and they could only raise 140K for their campaign.

When I said that it would have had a better chance on a main network or sci-fi network it was because the viewership numbers would have been more obvious (for lack of a better word) and the targeted demographics not so limited. I don't want to get into an argument over ratings but it is a fact that half of the US was unable to view Enterprise in its first run and it is a fact that a number of affiliates moved Enterprise or pre-empted it for local sports which wouldn't have happened on a main or specialty network. With the ratings that Enterprise did receive, if it was on the Sci-Fi Channel it would have been considered a success. We can never know what its ratings would have been on a main network because we can't say that it would have been the same as on UPN and we can't extrapolate the numbers to say what the viewership might have been on a network. However, no matter what the ratings, a protest for a program on a main network would have more of a chance because they have different sets of demographics that they are targeting

WWE Smackdown prospers in the Friday night deathslot. Demographics or not, ENT's ratings were sliding drastically.

Smackdown does not "prosper" on Friday nights on CW. On Friday, June 15, it finished 4th in its timeslot with a 2.4/5 rating (which seems to be its average ratings figure and not just this week's numbers). It was beaten by a rerun of the Bob Barker farewell Price is Right special, a rerun of an episode of the gameshow 1 vs 100 and a rerun of an episode of Bones. And when Smackdown was on UPN and was one of its highest rated series that didn't stop UPN from announcing they were not renewing the contract for Smackdown because it didn't bring in the demographics they wanted.

It's not a conspiracy theory. It's a tactic that has been done in the past by all networks in the US. Take a series that brings in good numbers but the wrong demographics from a successful timeslot and move it to a timeslot that doesn't bring in numbers no matter what is broadcast and then blame the ratings for the cancellation. That's SOP for the main networks.

One thing, please - do not stereotype me as a TrekUnited person because I supported saving Enterprise because I'm not. I agreed with the idea of letters and petitions and that type of thing but when they changed their tactics they lost any of the limited support they had from me. I wouldn't be surprised if you and I have a similiar opinion of the folks at TrekUnited.

Well, just because you don't believe something - doesn't mean it isn't ture. Target demographics is how how it works in the US - there are target audiences. It shouldn't be hard for a person of reason to figure out - that if advertisers are marketing toward a certain demographic - ie people to buy thier producet - they aren't going to pay money for a show that isn't reaching their demographic - now matter how popular it is with another demographic. Now if advertisers targeting that other demographic step forward there may be hope for the series.

Exactly.

Which has nothing to do with ENT - it didn't have ratings with any demographic.

This is where everything goes in circles, doesn't it. Enterprise was cancelled for that reason and then we start over in debating why it didn't have ratings with the proper demographics. :laugh:

Edited by Takara_Soong

"Takara Soong"

Automated response from UPN - no response from CBS but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

I would expect a similar response from CBS. Sooner or later, ENT fans are going to have to let go and realise that ENT is not the be all and end all for this franchise.

When I said that it would have had a better chance on a main network or sci-fi network it was because the viewership numbers would have been more obvious (for lack of a better word) and the targeted demographics not so limited.

ENT is on a sci-fi network every Monday and still struggles. Being on a main network doesn't necessarily mean it would have pulled a greater number of viewers either. It just means the criteria needed in terms of numbers would have been even tougher to meet.

I don't want to get into an argument over ratings but it is a fact that half of the US was unable to view Enterprise in its first run and it is a fact that a number of affiliates moved Enterprise or pre-empted it for local sports which wouldn't have happened on a main or specialty network.

Which to me suggests that it was a weak show. One cannot blame a local broadcaster for showing a replacement program if they feel they will get a higher rating. When the campaign came along to "save the show" it attracted paltry support. It's been broadcast on Sci-Fi now and it still gets low ratings. Add all these pieces together and I think it demonstrates that ENT fans simply think the show was more popular than it actually was in reality.

With the ratings that Enterprise did receive, if it was on the Sci-Fi Channel it would have been considered a success.

It wasn't on Sci-Fi so it's an irrelevant point. It's on Sci-Fi at the moment but doesn't get anything near the ratings it drew on UPN.

We can never know what its ratings would have been on a main network because we can't say that it would have been the same as on UPN and we can't extrapolate the numbers to say what the viewership might have been on a network.

That's why it's not worth speculating on what could have been.

However, no matter what the ratings, a protest for a program on a main network would have more of a chance because they have different sets of demographics that they are targeting

The protests needed large numbers of people. It didn't matter what colour, age, sex or social class they belonged to. The protests failed because the support was miniscule.

"Takara Soong"

I would expect a similar response from CBS. Sooner or later, ENT fans are going to have to let go and realise that ENT is not the be all and end all for this franchise.

When I said that it would have had a better chance on a main network or sci-fi network it was because the viewership numbers would have been more obvious (for lack of a better word) and the targeted demographics not so limited.

ENT is on a sci-fi network every Monday and still struggles. Being on a main network doesn't necessarily mean it would have pulled a greater number of viewers either. It just means the criteria needed in terms of numbers would have been even tougher to meet.

I don't want to get into an argument over ratings but it is a fact that half of the US was unable to view Enterprise in its first run and it is a fact that a number of affiliates moved Enterprise or pre-empted it for local sports which wouldn't have happened on a main or specialty network.

Which to me suggests that it was a weak show. One cannot blame a local broadcaster for showing a replacement program if they feel they will get a higher rating. When the campaign came along to "save the show" it attracted paltry support. It's been broadcast on Sci-Fi now and it still gets low ratings. Add all these pieces together and I think it demonstrates that ENT fans simply think the show was more popular than it actually was in reality.

With the ratings that Enterprise did receive, if it was on the Sci-Fi Channel it would have been considered a success.

It wasn't on Sci-Fi so it's an irrelevant point. It's on Sci-Fi at the moment but doesn't get anything near the ratings it drew on UPN.

We can never know what its ratings would have been on a main network because we can't say that it would have been the same as on UPN and we can't extrapolate the numbers to say what the viewership might have been on a network.

That's why it's not worth speculating on what could have been.

However, no matter what the ratings, a protest for a program on a main network would have more of a chance because they have different sets of demographics that they are targeting

The protests needed large numbers of people. It didn't matter what colour, age, sex or social class they belonged to. The protests failed because the support was miniscule.

Enterprise's original run was on the UPN Network. UPN wasn't available to more than half of the audience that would have watched it had it been on one of the major networks (Here in the States, that would be NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX). When I got DirecTV, I wasn't able to get a UPN Channel on my satellite, thus, I missed out on at least three seasons. I know of many others from other boards that voiced same or similar concerns. We called, wrote and begged DirecTV to add a UPN Station to our regular channel line-up, to which they refused. So, when you say that it tanked because of poor ratings, it did. Because we weren't able to see it. Until now.

Enterprise's original run was on the UPN Network. UPN wasn't available to more than half of the audience that would have watched it had it been on one of the major networks (Here in the States, that would be NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX). When I got DirecTV, I wasn't able to get a UPN Channel on my satellite, thus, I missed out on at least three seasons. I know of many others from other boards that voiced same or similar concerns. We called, wrote and begged DirecTV to add a UPN Station to our regular channel line-up, to which they refused. So, when you say that it tanked because of poor ratings, it did. Because we weren't able to see it. Until now.

Even excluding those who didn't get to see it, it doesn't explain the enormous loss of confirmed viewers who actually did see it.

Even excluding those who didn't get to see it, it doesn't explain the enormous loss of confirmed viewers who actually did see it.

Yes, ratings did drop off during the second season. And they did so substantially. But, during the third and fourth seasons, the ratings did improve. But not enough to warrant a fifth season. Which, had they been given a chance, may have been their finest season yet. But this is but one of many things that will will never know.

Yes, ratings did drop off during the second season. And they did so substantially. But, during the third and fourth seasons, the ratings did improve. But not enough to warrant a fifth season. Which, had they been given a chance, may have been their finest season yet. But this is but one of many things that will will never know.

Sorry, but the Nielsen Ratings did not improve in the third and fourth seasons.

In season 1 the ratings fell between the high of (the first episode's) 7.0 to the low of 3.0.

In season 2 the ratings fell between the high of 3.9 to the low of 2.2

In season 3 the ratings fell between the high of 3.0 to the low of 2.0

In season 4 the ratings fell between the high of (the finale episode's) 2.2 to the low of 1.4

Clearly the ratings got progressively worse.