Sign in to follow this  
Agehn

DS9 seems to have plenty of...

DS9 seems to have plenty of episodes that have to do with The Original Series, like "Trials and Tribble-ations" for example. I'm only 15 and have only seen maybe one TOS episode in my life. Should I record these episodes off of Sci-Fi channel and watch them for background before I watch the related DS9 episode?

Welcome aboard Agehn! I would say record and watch TOS, not only before watching a related DS9 but just for background on the Trek universe. TOS is where it all started and there's some great episodes there.

OH, You have to see TOS, you HAVE to see all of them. Doesn't matter if they're related to the current DS9 episode.

But, don't get distracted by the "antiquated" special effects. View them for the great stories, the interaction between characters and their messages, many of which are still relevant today.

Have you seen the TOS movies? Watching the series will definitely give you a good background for the movies, too.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy TOS. It's the BEST!!!

Yes, one of the TOS episodes that spawned a good deal of awesome DS9 shows was "Mirror, Mirror".

There were a few hokie TOS episodes, but for the most part, it was a great series to set things up for the later Trek shows.

Stingray

Guest -*CADET_Agehn*-

The TOS episode I remember most is "Mudd's Women." That was kinda wierd. But I think I saw the second half of "Mirror Mirror." Spock had a beard, and everybody tried to kill Kirk in this other universe.

I have seen all 10 movies, multiple times. Everybody looks so young in the series after the movies.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll watch 'em all.

Agehn be sure you are logged in before you post so you will get credit for the posting.

Mudds Women was a good one, it was one of the original storeis written as a proposed pilot. I think 6 storeis were written but Where No Man Has Gone Before is the one that was chosen. Another was The Omega Glory.

Harry Mudd made couple of interesting appearances in the Star Trek novels, too.

One was titled "Mudd In Your Eye".

I'd have to check my books for the others, tho. But they've been packed for quite some time. (So many books, so little time). :bow:

Stingray

Trials and Tribble-ations was an amazing episode. The DS9 companion guide has a great little section of how it was made. The lighting is especially amazing between the new and old films. One of my favorite TOS/DS9 episodes to watch over and over again.

There is just so much to see on TOS. Learning about Vulcans and IDIC and Kirk and their friendship and McCoy and...I'll stop here since you already said you would watch them

It just makes me so sad when some of our newer fans don't think TOS is worth the time. THey sadly miss so much!

DS9 did seem to draw more from TOS then did any of the other series but it wasn't done in a way of "leaning" on TOS as much as it was to compliment and add to it. I think TPTB did an awesome job of it too.

It has been a long time since watching any ds9 (my brother has all our ds9 tapes) but I really don't rember that many eps that had tos in it other than trials, the mirror ones, and the ones with the old klingons is their more?

Yes you should tape the Original Series off Sci-Fi. I used to never get to watch TOS and I got to watch mostly the films and the other four shows. Watch TOS its good, I felt DS9 and TNG made Star Trek what it was.

Trials and Tribble-ations was an amazing episode.  The DS9 companion guide has a great little section of how it was made.  The lighting is especially amazing between the new and old films.  One of my favorite TOS/DS9 episodes to watch over and over again.

Hi there and Merry Christmas from Australia!! :hat: I hope you are all having a great Christmas.

I LOVED Trials and Tribble-ations!! I only watched it for the first time about two weeks ago and since then I have watched it several times. I really liked the scenes with Miles and Julian, especially in the turbolift. What about that scene between Dax and Sisko, when she told him how one of her previous hosts knew Dr McCoy - that was priceless!! I will definietely be watching that episode again.

Madam Captain out!!

There is just so much to see on TOS. Learning about Vulcans and IDIC and Kirk and their friendship and McCoy and...I'll stop here since you already said you would watch them

It just makes me so sad when some of our newer fans don't think TOS is worth the time. THey sadly miss so much!

I have only just started watching Star Trek earlier this year, first I watched all seven seasons of Voyager in about six months, then I started watching TNG and DS9. I had seen some of the movies before I started watching Star Trek (Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis) and a few episodes of TNG. I'm now about half way through season 1 of TNG and up to season three of DS9. My housemate got my into Star Trek, she is a big Trekkie so that helps. I found that even though I had seen the four movies I mentioned numerous times, I still got more out of them after watching episodes of TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

I wasn't really interested in watching any of the original ST episodes but after watching Trials and Tribble-ations (I know its in season five but my housemate wanted me to watch it) I want to see more TOS. I agree that to fully appreciate Star Trek, its a good idea to watch some of the original series (or the whole three seasons). Many DS9 episodes and even Voyager and TNG relate to things that happened in TOS. I also think its worth watching the entire seven seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, along with all of the movies (even though I'm still in the process of getting through DS9 and TNG).

Merry Christmas from Australia :hat:

Madam Captain out!!

I don't think it's necessary to Watch TOS before watching most of DS9. I haven't seen any of TOS, but I did read a book on the series, so that helped for background. And I also watched a lot of TNG.

I think that it is a great idea to watch all of the series including TOS. TOS sets the foundation for the trek universe, and gives a better understanding of the univers itself and the races that inhabit it.

Yes, Watching TOS is fine if you have time, but an hour of research, or reading can supply as much Information as needed to understand things like that.

YES,PLEASE WATCH ALL TOS EPISODES. THEY ARE GREAT FOR BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE OF STAR TREK SHOWS AND MOVIES. THEY ARE ALSO GREAT FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. :) :) :lol:

PS, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

YES,PLEASE WATCH ALL TOS EPISODES.  THEY ARE GREAT FOR BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE OF STAR TREK SHOWS AND MOVIES.  THEY ARE ALSO GREAT FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. :)  :spock:  :spock:

PS, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Yeah...They're Just Cool Anyways :wow: