Sign in to follow this  
Hooray for boobies

Where did the colours go?

One of the things that used to give Star Trek a distinct trademark amongst science fiction shows was the colourful uniforms.

From the really pastelle coloured shirts in TOS to the jumpsuits of TNG and even the coloured shoulder work on the uniforms as late as Voyager kept a distinct Trek heritage.

But following ST:FC the new black and grey uniforms were introduced, leaving colours only for the turtle necks. This was soon adopted by DS9 (perhaps to distinguish it from Voyager), and the following movies.

And the with Enterprise the uniforms went all blue/gray leaving colours merely for rank insignia and seems. Suddenly Trek looks no differenct from Babylon 5 or even Star Wars.

Is it time to bring back the colours in a new Star Trek movies or Star Trek series? (Whenever that may be, say in about twenty years.) Is it possible to paint some new life into Star Trek?

The colors actually first disappeared in Star Trek II, when the uniforms became solid colors for everyone. I think the reason for the switch was due to the tone of the TNG movies, and the last few seasons of DS9. They were alot darker, and the uniforms represented that. the more somber uniforms matched the tone of the show. It is worth noting, though, that at least once during DS9, during the planning for the battle of Chin'Toka, we saw an older TNG-era uniform (Supposedly still in service)

You could be right. At least some of the DS9 stories were a little darker, and the movies were more action oriented. I just felt that at some point things became almost too black and grey. It may have been the genreal trend in Science Fiction of the day, but it didn't fit with my original take on what Star Trek was. And with the decline franchise nowadays maybe they should start looking back at the roots.

For myself I wouldn't have minded if DS9 had kept their original suits to the end. They were essentially black to and that red on Sisko and Worf had commanding quality that worked for them. But now I am nitpicking again.

ST:II had only one colour but at least it had a colourful colour. Go red!

Actually the reason for the change in uniform was because Generations was supposed to have only the shoulder colour uniforms from DS9 and Voyager, however the uniforms didn't look well on the big screen so the original TNG uniforms were also used in the film as well. For first contact new unifroms had to be designed that looked well on the big screen thus the grey shoulder uniforms.

Well DS9 most likely took the new design so that First contact would make sense but I think the reason Voyager didn't use the uniforms after they made contact with the alpha quadrant was so that DS9 and voyager would stand out. Also I made them on my computer.

Voyager didn't change uniforms because it wouldn't have made sense, not to differentiate it from Deep Space Nine. When the uniforms changed on DS9, they changed throughout Starfleet with a few exceptions (admirals hung onto the old uniforms a while longer). The reason Voyager didn't change uniforms is because they literally didn't get the memo... being out in the Delta Quadrant. When they finally did get to contact Starfleet, replicating a half-dozen sets of uniforms (or even one each) for each crew person would have been a waste of resources.

Back to the original topic... I always thought the TOS uniforms were cheesy. What I never understood was the difference between the uniforms which had colour on the shoulders with a black torso, and the uniforms with black shoulders and the colour on the torso. I think I prefer the former. The DS9 uniforms (grey shoulders, black torso, coloured collar) are kind of cool.

that's what was so cool about Voyager, they were so lost and away from home that they had outdated uniforms. I always liked the uniforms from the later DS9 and First Contact. It is understandable that ENT would have lesser color since they were more modern uniforms

I think another part of it is in providing atmostphere. Star Trek is supposed to be dramatic, and bright colors don't aid in drama. Where it was once seen as a provision of contrast of the Federation to the others (especially the grey of Romulan uniforms), it later came to be viewed as cheesy to have bright colors on the uniforms. You may notice this especially with the key and fill lighting in some of the later series as well, where sitcoms are still brightly and well lit to hint at a more light approach. Visual punnery, if you will. Vibrant colors usually only appeared in more festive settings or events in later Trek.

Edited by youbroughtheryouRiker

Regarding uniforms... I will always prefer Uhura's one. Then I'd love to be on a ship working with the ladies... those minis.... wow! Two thumbs up.