Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

Why choose then?

Why did Berman choose the 22nd century for his setting. He knew he would be conflicting canon.

Berman decided to explore the 22nd century becuase the TNG-era was getting difficult to write for and Trek was on a steady downslide. Berman figured a good remedy would be to go to the "beginning", since that story had never been told, and do a show in the 22nd century about Starfleet's first mission. B)

He is not conflicting canon.

But he knew a lot of fans would protest.... He just wants new blood because he knows the core of Trek hates him...

Again WEAREBORG4102, you're being silly. Berman is doing what he thinks is good Trek, (and it's not as bad as bashers think, bashers just bash for the sake of bashing because it's "fun") there is NO vendetta. B)

But he knew a lot of fans would protest....

How do you know this?

He just wants new blood because he knows the core of Trek hates him...

I disagree, the fan base is only so large, and it's beginning to shrink with the original fans getting old. Trek needs a new generation of fans, and ENT is the show to get them.

In my mind, Trek can do no wrong. After several more seasons of Enterprise, I hope we go and visit the 24th century again or a later time period. No matter what period it takes place in, it will always invoke a good vision of the future.

The 22nd century has a lot of potential, but the main reason Berman wanted to use this setting is that it would introduce conflict, without violating all of Gene's rules. (that's what he said in an interview, not word for word though)

The problem is that being in the 22nd century has changed nothing but the superficial elements of Trek. Visually it's different, but underneath it's Voyager, complete with the technobabble and tedancy to wander aimlessley in the character development department.

I was hoping that the 22nd century would have given them more freedom to actually explout the setting, from the design of the ship down to the types of stories told. The ship should be a lot slower and fragile than it is, with things like Warp speed being cumbersome and no transporters at all. I was hoping that the ship could only do about 3 or 4 warp jumps for short periods of time before refueling, that could give us a good opportunity to for example visit a planet, and spend a few episodes there instead of leaving at the end of only one episode. That could have been the best way of having long character arcs, tied into DS9 style multi-seasonal arcs.

I'd rather have weekly adventures. B) [/color]

I agree with CJLP on this as I have always been a fan of TOS style singular episodes, although I don't mind a general premise that is lightly used or the odd smaller arcs over a period of two or three episodes on occasions.

Just because the show doesn't meet your expectations doesn't mean it's a bad show.  Besides, I don't want to see DS9-style arcs on ENT, I'd rather have weekly adventures. :assimilated:

I think that a bridge can be built to accomodate both styles at the same time, as evidenced quite sucessfully over on SG-1. Personally, I love character + plot arcs more than standard weekly adventures, but stand-alone shows can be interesting as long as some kind of long-term development occurs.