Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "Stratagem"?

What rating would you give "Stratagem" out of 10?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Stratagem" out of 10?

This one was a rather dull 22nd century holodeck type episode, so I voted it 0 out of ten.

A 0 rating seems a bit harsh.

The way I look at the Rating system is this:

0 - The show did not have even one redeeming sentence in it. The commercials were better.

1  - The show had a couple of good lines, but that's it.

2  - Not completely bad, if nothing else is on.

3  - Writing could be better, story could be stronger but I paid attention.

4  - Getting close, I only switched channels a couple of times.

5  - Not a bad show, I'll tune in next week.

6 - Pretty good, writing was ok. Story was ok. Decent job.

7 - This is getting good, this is getting pretty good!

8 - I Like This! Keep pumping them out like this one!

9 - Man Oh Man! Can it get much better?!?

10 - WOW! This was an AWESOME Episode! I LOVE This!! THIS is how Star Trek was meant to be!!

So for me, to give an episode a 0 would mean this:

I wish the show would be canceled. It doesn't deserve to be in the air, the actors don't deserve pay checks for that week and the writers should be scrubbing plasma conduits on a mining freighter in the Gamma Quadrant.

For me, I believe that if I ever saw a "0" episode (of any given series) I would stop watching it completely after that episode.

Actually, I voted the episode 0 because I didn't like it. I had seen too many Holodeck adventures of Voyager and it seemed a bit of a rehash to me.

Still, I'm glad you liked it :)

Edited by Stewey

Actually, I voted the episode 0 because I didn't like it. I had seen too many Holodeck adventures of Voyager and it seemed a bit of a rehash to me.

Still, I'm glad you liked it :)

Stratagem wasn't a "Holodeck" episode though, it was much more complex then that. Don't forget, Holodeck technology doesn't exist yet in Enterprise.

I'm curious, did you watch the whole episode or is your opinion based on only a portion of it? Or even what's been written about it?

Still, I'm glad you liked it B)

Stratagem wasn't a "Holodeck" episode though, it was much more complex then that. Don't forget, Holodeck technology doesn't exist yet in Enterprise.

I'm curious, did you watch the whole episode or is your opinion based on only a portion of it? Or even what's been written about it?

I watched the entire episode from beginning to end. The reason I state that I think it is a holodeck type episode, is that if you change some of the 22nd century elements from that episode, you can just as easily tell this story on Voyager/TNG.

In actuality, if you imagine the simulator (where they got the parts from I don't know - one of the many unanswered questions, the same types of questions asked of Voyager's endless supplies of shuttles :) ) as the holodeck, there was also a ruse outside of teh holodeck on the ship itself which is a similar way to that of the trick on Moriarty (holodeck within a holodeck, is the metaphor I'm trying to use ;) )

My main concern about the episode wasn't so much the trick being played, it's the rather quick and thoughtless decision he made to extract the information from Degra (told you I was paying attention :) ) in the first place. I think that Archer should have at least tried some other forms of interrogation first before going through with such an elaborate and time-consuming procedure which in the end only extraced two snippets of information. All it would have taken would have been a scene perhaps featuring Reed or even Travis, (damn he should be given some lines once in a while) or even Major Hayes, explaining to archer that all their attempts at interrogation have been useless. Then the idea of this method would have seemed a little more convincing.

My other concern about the episode was upon capturing Degra, they extraced only the information about the co-ordinates to Azati Prime. Now, I would have thought that the man responsible for designing the weapon that killed 7 million people would have been too valuable to simply put back on his ship. I doubt the absence of Degra would have made an overall impact on teh Xindi's plans, nor put the ship in any more danger than it's already in anyway. There would be a wealth of knowledge Degra could have revealed during the journey to Azati Prime, evenit it may seem trivial it could be valuable.

I watched the entire episode from beginning to end. The reason I state that I think it is a holodeck type episode, is that if you change some of the 22nd century elements from that episode, you can just as easily tell this story on Voyager/TNG.

In actuality, if you imagine the simulator (where they got the parts from I don't know - one of the many unanswered questions, the same types of questions asked of Voyager's endless supplies of shuttles :) ) as the holodeck, there was also a ruse outside of teh holodeck on the ship itself which is a similar way to that of the trick on Moriarty (holodeck within a holodeck, is the metaphor I'm trying to use B) )

My main concern about the episode wasn't so much the trick being played, it's the rather quick and thoughtless decision he made to extract the information from Degra (told you I was paying attention ;) ) in the first place. I think that Archer should have at least tried some other forms of interrogation first before going through with such an elaborate and time-consuming procedure which in the end only extraced two snippets of information. All it would have taken would have been a scene perhaps featuring Reed or even Travis, (damn he should be given some lines once in a while) or even Major Hayes,  explaining to archer that all their attempts at interrogation have been useless. Then the idea of this method would have seemed a little more convincing.

My other concern about the episode was upon capturing Degra, they extraced only the information about the co-ordinates to Azati Prime. Now, I would have thought that the man responsible for designing the weapon that killed 7 million people would have been too valuable to simply put back on his ship. I doubt the absence of Degra would have made an overall impact on teh Xindi's plans, nor put the ship in any more danger than it's already in anyway. There would be a wealth of knowledge Degra could have revealed during the journey to Azati Prime, evenit it may seem trivial it could be valuable.

You could pretty much change a few elements of any of the shows and make them like any of the other stories. Put Voyager in the Alpha Quadrant, shave Janeway's head and give Chakotay a beard and you have something akin to TNG.

This story was complex and interesting, IMO. And if you were to use brute force, water torture, a bright lightbulb or threaten to throw him out an airlock it would have been less of an episode.

It's not always about bashing heads, though that has a role in times like this (the possible war with the Xindi). Sometimes it's about strategy. The name of this episode tells exactly why the story line is what it is.

What does Stratagem mean? Here's a definition:

1 a : an artifice or trick in war for deceiving and outwitting the enemy b : a cleverly contrived trick or scheme for gaining an end

2 : skill in ruses or trickery

http://63.240.197.92/cgi-bin/mwdictaj?Stratagem

The story and the episode title fit together perfectly. If it was to be a story about an interrogation then the name of the episode would have been "interrogator" or something along those lines.

If you honestly believe there was nothing redeeming about this episode I can respect your opinion. I don't understand it, but I will respect it.

Sign in to follow this