Sign in to follow this  
Smith_2.0

Reason for missing Ferengi?

As i was watching the episode with the religious fanatics something occured to me.

Im not sure if this has been mentioned so bare with me. I think i could justify the "mistake" of TNG saying they had never met the Ferengi and Enterprise meeting them for the "first" time. In the episode with religious cult the leader erases a good portion of the Enterprise database/logs. So perhaps the Ferengi data is lost and thus that meeting is never entered into the Starfleet records.

Or.... i could just be talking out of my *buttocks* :o

Just something i was thinking about.

There is no mistake. The religous nuts only deleted info on the "spheres". Enterprise fet some big headed, big eared aliens who only care for profit. 200 years later, the Enterprise-D makes first contact with the Ferengi.

Meeting a few aliens doesn't neccessarily constitude first contact between two civilizations.

The reason we don't see the Lobed ones (from a story point of view) again until TNG is because Archer told them in Acquisition we'd better never them again. They then turned tail and ran.

I think - and I may be wrong - that the Ferengi never actually divulged what species they were during 'Acquisition'. They were mentioned, previously, by name in Dear Doctor when T'Pol and Archer deny any knowledge of them. It could just simply be that the identity of the Ferengi was never known and so as far as the Federation was concerned it was the Enterprise D that made first contact.

As was said above, the Ferengi were never identified in Acquisition. I'd have to go back to Dear Doctor to see what the refrence there is, I don't remember it being there.