Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

BBC Director General Resigns

BBC Director General Resigns

Thursday, 29 January, 2004.

_39335610_gregdyke_203.jpg

Director general Greg Dyke has quit as the BBC's crisis deepens in the wake of Lord Hutton's damning verdict.

Mr Dyke's decision to step down follows BBC chairman Gavyn Davies' resignation on Wednesday, shortly after the law lord's report was published.

The pair quit after the most serious claims in Andrew Gilligan's BBC's reports were branded "unfounded". Mr Dyke's decision to go came after BBC governors spent Thursday morning in crisis talks in London, announcing the news, Mr Dyke said he hoped their departures meant "a line can be drawn under this whole episode".

Downing Street says it still believes the BBC should apologise for broadcasting a "false allegation".

Lord Hutton's report cleared the government of "sexing up" its Iraq weapons dossier with unreliable intelligence and he criticised "defective" BBC editorial controls over defence correspondent Andrew Gilligan's broadcasts on the Today programme.

The resignations follow former Downing Street media chief Alastair Campbell's claim that Mr Davies and Mr Dyke had made things worse by continuing essentially to stand by the story.

In his resignation statement, Mr Davies said that as the man at the top he had to take responsibility. But he questioned whether Lord Hutton's "bald conclusions" on the dossier's production could be reconciled with the balance of the inquiry's evidence and asked whether enough weight was given to Dr Kelly's taped conversation with Newsnight's Susan Watts.

Following the publication of Lord Hutton's findings, Mr Dyke said the corporation apologised for key things Mr Gilligan got wrong in his broadcasts, but he added that Dr Kelly was a credible witness whose views the public had a right to know.

However, the prime minister's spokesman said Mr Dyke's apology did "not amount to a considered statement. We still believe the BBC should apologise for broadcasting a false allegation which was unfounded."

In his long-awaited report, Lord Hutton said he believed Dr Kelly had killed himself after being named as the suspected source of the BBC's controversial weapons dossier story.

Dr Kelly's has family urged the government to learn from their tragedy.

bbc.JPG

---------------------------------

The Hutton Report

Full Report

(PDF file 2MB)

Statements in Full

Thursday, 29 January, 2004.

Former Director General Greg Dyke

_39798425_dyke_pa203.jpg

I am today announcing that I have resigned from the BBC.

My position as director general has inevitably been compromised by the criticisms of BBC management in the Hutton report.

Following Gavyn Davies' decision to go, I felt I too should offer my resignation to the Board of Governors.

I have enjoyed my time at the BBC and in particular I've loved working with so many talented and enthusiastic people.

I am proud of what we have achieved together over the last four years.

With the departure of both Gavyn and myself and the apology I issued on behalf of the BBC yesterday, I hope that a line can now be drawn under this whole episode.

Throughout this affair my sole aim as director general of the BBC has been to defend our editorial independence and to act in the public interest.

Acting Chairman Lord Ryder

_39797169_ryder_pic.jpg

The Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport has announced that the process for appointing a new chairman will begin shortly.

I have agreed to be the acting chairman, and I shall not be putting forward my name for the position on a permanent basis.

The appointment of director general is solely a matter for the BBC's Board of Governors. Both roles are essential to a strong and independent BBC and it is important that the vacancies created by the departures of Gavyn Davies and Greg Dyke are filled as soon as possible and with due care.

The departures of Gavyn Davies and Greg Dyke will be regretted throughout the BBC.

Their contributions to the organisation in terms of strong, dynamic leadership are beyond doubt.

I would like to place on record the appreciation of the Board of Governors for their services to the BBC.

The BBC must now move forward in the wake of Lord Hutton's report, which highlighted serious defects in the Corporation's processes and procedures.

On behalf of the BBC I have no hesitation in apologising unreservedly for our errors and to the individuals whose reputations were affected by them.

We have begun to implement major reforms, including outside journalism, compliance systems, editorial processes and training of new recruits.

These changes, and other actions arising from the Hutton Report, will be completed by Mark Byford, the acting director deneral.

Mark has worked for the BBC for 24 years. He is steeped in the values of public service broadcasting, as a former director of regional broadcasting and as director of the World Service.

He is widely respected inside and outside the BBC and the board has every confidence that under his strong and proven leadership the BBC will be in good hands.

Acting Director General Mark Byford

_39619367_byford_203.jpg

I would first like to pay tribute to Greg Dyke and his tenure as director general.

Like all colleagues in the BBC I am shocked and saddened at his departure.

Greg has brought tremendous dynamism, energy and drive and is hugely respected by all the staff at all levels throughout the organisation and is recognised for his warmth, integrity and talent.

I recognise it is now my task as acting director general to lead the organisation through what is a very turbulent period.

We must now study the Hutton report carefully, learn appropriate lessons and implement relevant measures.

The BBC must provide high quality, independent, impartial journalism, recognised for its accuracy, fairness and objectivity.

It must be recognised in the UK and around the world for trusted, reliable, authoritative news; intelligent discussion and debate; and courageous investigative journalism set within a rigorous and robust editorial framework.

Creativity is the heart of the organisation and we must strive to promote high quality, innovation and ambition in all we do, serving audiences as a beacon of public service broadcasting.

I believe passionately in the values of the BBC and its role.

As acting director general I will lead it to the very best of my ability together with an outstanding team of colleagues.

My executive committee team also want to put on record their affection for Greg and their great admiration for all he has achieved as director general.

They, too, are very sad to see him go but understand and accept his decision.

As an executive, we are now united in looking forward to working with the Board of Governors to ensure the BBC emerges from this difficult time a strong, independent and vibrant organisation, building on the legacy Greg has left behind.

From BBC News:

BBC apologises as Dyke quits

Director General Greg Dyke has quit as the BBC's crisis deepens in the wake of Lord Hutton's damning verdict.

The BBC's new Acting Chairman Lord Ryder also apologised "unreservedly" for errors during the Dr Kelly affair.

Mr Dyke's departure came 20 hours after BBC Chairman Gavyn Davies resigned following the Hutton Report and after the governors spent Thursday morning in crisis talks in London.

An emotional Mr Dyke told BBC staff at their central London headquarters: "I don't want to go. But if in the end you screw up you have to go."

In the wake of his resignation there were spontaneous walkouts at BBC offices in Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Cardiff and Londonderry.

Staff at BBC Somerset Sound walked out and the station aired a minute of silence in protest.

Mr Dyke told around 1,000 people outside Television Centre he was not "a political animal" but he hoped the two resignations meant "a line can be drawn under this whole episode".

He said his sole aim had been to defend the BBC's independence and "act in the public interest".

Later, asked whether he was sacked by the BBC governors, Mr Dyke said he had offered his resignation on Wednesday night.

"After that it was up to them," he said.

It is understood the governors voted by 2-1 to accept his resignation.

Mr Dyke said he "could not quite work out" what the governors had apologised for.

The BBC had made certain mistakes, he said, adding: "I do not necessarily accept the findings of Lord Hutton."

The pair quit after parts of Andrew Gilligan's BBC reports of claims Downing Street "sexed up" a dossier on Iraq's illegal weapons were branded "unfounded" by Lord Hutton.

Lord Ryder said: "The BBC must now move forward in the wake of Lord Hutton's report, which highlighted serious defects in the Corporation's processes and procedures.

"On behalf of the BBC I have no hesitation in apologising unreservedly for our errors and to the individuals whose reputations were affected by them."

Prime Minister Tony Blair quickly welcomed the statement, saying it meant both the BBC and the government could move on.

He said: "This for me has always been a very simple matter of an accusation that was a very serious one that was made. It has now been withdrawn, that is all I ever wanted."

Mr Blair said he respected the BBC's independence and expected it to continue to question the government "in a proper way".

The apology was also welcomed by ex-Number 10 media chief Alastair Campbell, who told BBC News 24: "It was right that Gavyn Davies has resigned, it's right that Greg Dyke resigned."

Lord Hutton's report cleared the government of "sexing up" its Iraq weapons dossier with unreliable intelligence.

He criticised "defective" BBC editorial controls over defence correspondent Andrew Gilligan's broadcasts on the Today programme.

Leaving after four years in his post, Mr Dyke said his position had been compromised by Lord Hutton's criticisms of BBC management.

Former BBC journalist Martin Bell paid tribute to Mr Dyke: "He revived the confidence of staff, he was an inspirational leader and his departure is a serious blow to public sector broadcasting."

Mr Dyke's deputy, Mark Byford, has been appointed as acting director general until a successor is chosen.

The departure of both the BBC chairman and director general comes amid growing calls for the BBC to come under outside regulation.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell said the Hutton report would be taken into account in the 2006 review of the BBC's charter.

In his resignation statement, Mr Davies said that as the man at the top he had to take responsibility.

But he questioned whether Lord Hutton's "bald conclusions" on the dossier's production could be reconciled with the balance of the inquiry's evidence.

In his long-awaited report, Lord Hutton said he believed Dr Kelly had killed himself after being named as the suspected source of the BBC's controversial weapons dossier story.

Dr Kelly's family has urged the government to learn from their tragedy.

In a separate development on Thursday it has emerged Lord Hutton will be grilled by a committee of MPs over the role of inquiries into government.

The retired judge has also ordered an urgent investigation into the leak of his findings to the Sun newspaper.