Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Interconnecting the Franchise

At forums like TrekBBS, fans like to see everything constantly connected in some way or another. Like TNG's "Time Squared", some people think the aliens in the rift were Q, or that the Prophets & Q are related, Phlox is a Cardassian cousin, and so forth. As T'Pol said in "Broken Bow", "The galaxy is vast." Personally, I'm not into having things interconnected unless it adds to the story.

What about you guys?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against continuity nor story arcs, I just think it'd be a mistake to try and connect everything especially when Trek's setting is "a ship explorring the galaxy" and not a small town. B)

If you ask me i think they are eating the episodes way too much...

and heavily anontating it... yeh there are some connections that i have...connected ..(for lack of better word).... between the episodes.. and epsiodes of the series...a little bit.... some i dont realize until i after watched the episode...

but just enjoy the show and stop overexamining...it ruins the show....well at least dont always assume you are right... its simply a work of fiction....(i hate to break that to some people) B)

Yes, that why I don't like most of the guys at TrekBBS. They're overly critical, overly analytical, and just plain negative. There's a few good guys there like K'Trek, who also posts here, but there's just too many negative fans for me to post there.

I think it's ok to have an occasional interconnection but it certainly doesn't ruin the Trek experience for me if there are none. Space is a really big place and it doesn't seem logical for everything to have some connection. Maybe the posters at TrekBBS sometimes see connections that aren't really there (or weren't meant to be).

There has to be that continuity between series because they aren't 5 different entities with their own individuality, they are 5 components of 1 entity. It would be like if they called a Phaser a Phaser in DS9 but in Voyager they called it a Phase Pistol in TNG they called a Laser and in TOS it was Laser Pistol.

If we are to believe that these people are all operating within the same environment and within the same organization then there has to be continuity. Now to try to say the Prophets are the same as the Q continuum is taking it a little too far, but somethings have to be interconnected.

I enjoy making interconnections; it's part of the fun! B) I know it's utterly pointless and there's no canon proof, but there's no harm in trying to find ways to tie it all together, no matter how farfetched the idea.

There has to be that continuity between series because they aren't 5 different entities with their own individuality, they are 5 components of 1 entity. It would be like if they called a Phaser a Phaser in DS9 but in Voyager they called it a Phase Pistol in TNG they called a Laser and in TOS it was Laser Pistol.

If we are to believe that these people are all operating within the same environment and within the same organization then there has to be continuity. Now to try to say the Prophets are the same as the Q continuum is taking it a little too far, but somethings have to be interconnected.

That's not what I ment. When I say that I get annoyed by fans trying to interconnect the franchise, I mean when fans take two stories that have nothing to do with each other, like V'Ger and the Borg, and try to connect them. B)

That's not what I ment.  When I say that I get annoyed by fans trying to interconnect the franchise, I mean when fans take two stories that have nothing to do with each other, like V'Ger and the Borg, and try to connect them. B)

I think that's all part of the same issue though, I understand what you mean and to say that V'ger and the Borg are the same or that V'ger was made by the Borg is taking it a little far I agree. But I think the reason people do try to make those kinds of connections is to try and find continuity where none was intended.

For instance, I just watched Gambit last night and one of the Aliens was very similar to an alien used in DS9. Riker threatens to turn the alien over to the Klingons because of an outstanding warrant. In the DS9 episode "In The Pale Moon Light" Garak has an someone pardoned from the death sentence by the Klingons and turned over to the Federation. At first I thought they (TPTB) had used that same alien from The Gambit for this episode, but in reality they hadn't. It would have been a really cool interconnection if they had and I wish they had. But it seems like Star Trek fans are always looking for those kinds connections that interlock the different series and movies. I myself don't find it annoying but I can understand how it might annoy someone.