Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What's your personal canon?

Here's an example of personal canon: You only like TNG, TNG movies, and TNG crossover episodes with other Trek shows. So, for this person, Admiral Janeway in NEMESIS is just some Admiral.

My personal canon is TOS, TNG, DS9 (minus "Rejoined"), VOY, ENT, and all 10 movies. Basically everything except TAS and DS9 "Rejoined".

What about you guys?

I have never seen TAS, everything else I have liked, and some loved. I guess this means I consider all except TAS to be canon.

Edited by Stelfan

I have never seen TAS, everything else I have liked, and some loved. All the different shows have great episodes, however I think TNG had the best crew.

So, does that mean that everything, minus TAS, is canon for you?

Yep, sorry I wasn't clear on that, just changed my last post now.. :unsure:

Edited by Stelfan

I will also have to say everything but TAS (meaning TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, movies).

Personally, I also tend not to consider the Trek novels to be canon, even including the books about the movies and episodes (say,,, the Nemesis novel, a book on the ep "Relics", etc.). I know that if they contain parts that were in the original script they may be considered canon by most, but for me it needs to be on-screen, either in the main form or in deleted scenes.

Basically everything except TAS and DS9 "Rejoined".

So, why not DS9 'Rejoined' CJLP..???

I consider every TV episode and Theatrical movie to be cannon..TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and all 10 Movies..

I can deal with episodes which have messages I don't agree with as they make good discussions, but DS9 "Rejoined" just screamed out homosexuallity to me. Had their not been a female/female kiss, my feelings might be different.

I can deal with episodes which have messages I don't agree with as they make good discussions, but DS9 "Rejoined" just screamed out homosexuallity to me. Had their not been a female/female kiss, my feelings might be different.

Do you consider homosexuality to be wrong? some kind of disease?

Weather you like that episode or not, the whole of Trek nation considers it to be Canon..It's only TAS and the books that some people have problems considering Canon..

I'm one of those "simmer" types so the distinction of what is "cannon" and what isn't is something I occasionally have to think about in my role-playing as I often have to fill in the gaps.

My definition of "cannon" is anything that is observed in any of the shows / movies (including TAS although I don't remember very much of it) that is not inconsistent with anything else in the shows / movies. When there is a discrepancy I will go with whatever is most fesible. This may be determined either by what seems to be the predominant theme in the shows / movies or whatever common sense will support.

For example, the Warp 15 observed in "All Good Things" is inconsistent with the Warp 10 "perfect speed" observed in Voyager. The Warp 10 barrier had a full episode of Voyager that showed the problems of trying to exceed it while the Warp 15 had one line in a theoretical future made impossible because of the destruction of the Enterprise-D in "Generations". Therefore I consider the Warp 10 limit to be cannon. It is also established Trek lore that it's impossible to beam through shields so I would consider the beaming of the Scorpion attack craft through the Enterprise-E's shields to be impossible cannon-wise even though we saw exactly that in "Nemesis" (We never SAW an order given to drop the shields although we might assume that a competent crew would know to do this in the absence of specific orders to do so.)

Another example are Romulan quantum singularity drives. We know they power warbirds and scout ships. It isn't a big stretch to say they power other ships like shuttles and freighters. However, although the shows and movies don't rule this out, it would be a big stretch to say they also power buildings. The predominant theme is the Romulans use quantum singularity drives like the Federation uses warp cores, and the idea that a stationary building would go into warp is ridiculous on the face of it. Sure, you could use one as a power source anyway, but what would be the point?

Clear as mud?

Edited by lt_van_roy

Do you consider homosexuality to be wrong? some kind of disease?

Let's please not get into this, you asked me a question, and I answerred. Do you really want to know what I think of homosexuallity?

Weather you like that episode or not, the whole of Trek nation considers it to be Canon..It's only TAS and the books that some people have problems considering Canon..

The discussion is not what is officially canon, but what each member considers to be their own personal canon. :dude:

The discussion is not what is officially canon, but what each member considers to be their own personal canon. :dude:

OK CJLP..My personal canon is for every episode that's been on TV and every movie..I still don't see why you're excluding 'Rejoined' but to each his own..

TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, Movies 1-10