Sign in to follow this  
Luvin1stdegree

Remember when....

Do you remember a time when...........

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"?

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?

It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?

A foot of snow was a dream come Saturday

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30_minute commercials for action figures?

"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon? If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

:) Do you have any idea how much you just made me miss early childhood?(I remember all of it except the slingshot and the cards in the spokes)- and for me it wasn't all that long ago! Time flies.

Thanks for posting this, Luvin.

Edited by Ace

I remember ALL of it, except the snow (didn't have it at my Northern California birthplace), and the fireflies (don't recall seeing any). I even remember taking chewable orange-flavored asprin as a kid (St. Joseph's Asprin for Children) without hearing about health warnings. Man, do I miss the cartoons!

Hi there :)

I remember doing all those things in my childhood, although as I live in Australia, I didn't get to experience snow. My older brother was into water balloons and they were especially popular during the summer months. We also used old shampoo bottles as water pistols and had hours of fun squirting each other with them. My older sister was into painting and she got a face painting set for a birthday one year (or it may have been a Christmas present). I remember having my face painted on several occassions - I had no choice!!

Madam Captain out!!

Thanks luvin.. that really made me smile. It's nice to know I have lived. :assimilated:

How do you explain what is Oly oly oxen free...*thinking* It served many a purpose I beleive. It was used while looking for someone or something or just as a general call of the wild as it were. I'm not really sure....any other thoughts out there?

I guess I too am a liver. :laugh: Thanks Luvin those were some cool memories you've invoked in me. *sheds happy tear> :laugh: *

I don't know the origins of Olly Olly Oxen Free but I remember what it meant in the game of Hide and Seek: If whoever was "IT" gave up on trying to find the hiders, calling out OOOF gave the hiders a free pass back to base.

Water balloons the memories come flooding back (sigh). Not much snow and no fireflies but all the rest is pretty accurate, very cool thanks Luvin.

Thanks Luvin1stdegree..I remember every single one of those things..Those were the days huh? I too associate 'Oly oly oxen free' with Hide and Seek when the seeker couldn't find the ones who are hiding...That game was a lot of fun.

I remember playing Hide and Seek as a kid. The neighborhood we lived in had about 5 families with kids so after dark (back when it was safe to let the kids outside that late) all the kids in the neighborhood would get together and play games by streetlight. I know my older brothers hated having to take me out with them. I'm sure I slowed them down alot! Since most of the kids were boys and closer in ages to my brothers, I was quite a pain for them. Our favorite game was H&S....we'd all gather in the middle of the road and decide who was "it" first. Then the rest of us would run and hide anywhere within the bounderies of the yards of the 5 houses. At any given time, there would be no less than 10 or 12 kids running through the night. It was so much more fun than playing during the day. We always remembered to wear dark clothing so we could hide better. What I wouldn't give to be a kid again.