Sign in to follow this  
Vic

"In the Hands of the Prophets" Turns 25

thumb_eb78b734e49c3d2c296173a18f10463740

The Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "In the Hands of the Prophets" premiered on June 20, 1993... or 25 years ago today. The first-season finale further set in motion much of the intrigue surrounding the Bajorans, Prophets, wormhole, politics and fundamentalism that would steadily build to a head six seasons later with the series finale. To mark the episode's anniversary, StarTrek.com dips into its creation, production and legacy...

One Flew Over the Bajoran's Nest

Vedek Winn

Oscar-winning actress Louise Fletcher made the first of her 14 appearances as Vedek Winn in this episode. Speaking to StarTrek.com during a 2012 interview, she said that the character wanted one thing: "Power. She wanted power and she was ambitious. She was sort of a Margaret Thatcher in space, or, as I used to say, I was the Pope in space. People would say, 'Oh, you’re doing Star Trek. Who are you playing?' I’d say, 'Think the Pope in space, except she’s like an ancient Pope, from the old days when Popes were ruthless and powerful and exerted their powers and fought wars and did all kinds of naughty things.'”

Behr Necessities

behr.jpg

There was only one DS9 season finale not written or co-written by Ira Stephen Behr, and this was it. Robert Hewitt Wolfe penned this one.

Skye's the Limit

Neela

Robin Christopher, the actress who played Neela -- the young Bajoran engineer on DS9 who secretly waited for the opportunity to assassinate Vedek Bariel -- is best known for her long stint as the character Skye Chandler Quartermaine on All My Children and also One Life to Live and General Hospital. She last appeared on GH in 2012, marking her final screen credit for the moment.

One of Our Favorite Lines

philosophies.jpg

"In the Hands of the Prophets" is brimming with good dialogue, but one of our favorite lines came from Sisko, who said, "It is my philosophy that on this station there is room for all philosophies." If only it were that easy, right?

Deja Vu... All Over Again

Sisko and Bareil at the monastary

Filming of monastery scenes with Bareil, according to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, took place at Fern Dell near Griffith Park. That locale had been utilized for the holodeck sequence in the TNG pilot, "Encounter at Farpoint."

The Roddenberry Connection

Sequence reading

According to Memory Alpha, when Miles O'Brien is trying to decode the ANA routine, one of the sequences reads "GENE ROD," That's a reference to Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. Another sequence reads "NCC1 701," a reference to the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Another Favorite Line

Vendek Winn and Sisko

Man, Vedek Winn was a piece of work, cold and calculating. Louise Fletcher no doubt loved delivering these great lines: "Now, I see that you want nothing less than to destroy us. You live without a soul, commander. You and your Federation exist in a universe of darkness, and you would drag us in there with you. But we will not go."

View the full article