Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vic

Trek Stars Open Destination Star Trek Germany

thumb_8519fd02d4cdd947dd9da4015c41bec0d7

Thousands of Star Trek fans from around the world beamed out to Dortmund for Destination Star Trek Germany, which kicked off on Friday with a franchise-spanning array of Trek guests, a Discovery exhibit, trivia contests, surprise panel “crash”-ing appearances by Trek stars, autograph, photo ops and more.

StarTrek.com was in the house and is pleased to share a recap of Day One:

Meet the Stars

Destination Star Trek Germany

As fans queued up outside the convention hall, the 25-plus Trek guests met the German media that turned out to cover the event.

Destination Star Trek Germany Walter Koenig

Walter Koenig noted that he’s made peace with being so associated with Trek and Chekov. “Star Trek stood for something,” he said. “It spoke to people. It had a social conscience. And it still does in all of its manifestations and iterations. If, alas, I must be known for one role, one show, which is the case, I am happy that it is Star Trek as opposed to anything else.”

Destination Star Trek Germany Mary Wiseman

Mary Wiseman responded to a question about what goes on behind the scenes of Discovery by saying, “A lot of singing goes on backstage, some good, some bad,” she said, deadpan. “I provide the bad.”

Destination Star Trek Germany Nana Visitor, Rene Auberjonois, Terry Farrell

Terry Farrell took to the stage with Rene Auberjonois and Nana Visitor. A journalist asked Farrell how she enjoyed being called Mrs. Nimoy now that she’s married to Adam Nimoy. Farrell beamed and enthused, “It’s great.” Visitor leaned into her friend and former DS9 costar and said, “I love it. If you know Terry and Adam, it’s perfect.”

Destination Star Trek Germany Chase Masterson

Chase Masterson revealed that she lived in Germany for three years as a child. Aron Eisenberg and Max Grodenchik seemed surprised to hear that. “My dad was in the Army,” she explained.

Destination Star Trek Museum

Destination Star Trek Germany Museum

Fans understandably ooh-ed and aah-ed at the DSTG’s museum space that gathers together 52 years of Trek.  

The items range from comic book art, TNG production sketches, TOS medical equipment, a phaser signed by Patrick Stewart, and the gloves Spock/Leonard Nimoy wore during his heroic/tragic scene in The Wrath of Khan to Chancellor Gowron's costume and a screen-used TOS phaser that had spent decades in a private collection.

Among the memorable costumes: Alexander’s/Michael Dunn’s “Plato’s Stepchildren” ensemble, Seven of Nine’s catsuit, Scotty’s engineering jumpsuit from The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, and Janeway’s Borg costume.

Discovery Props & Costumes Exhibit

Destination Star Trek Germany Discovery Exhibit

Fans could get up close and personal to a variety of Discovery props and costumes, including Starfleet uniforms, communicator, phaser, and tricorder.

Destination Star Trek Germany Mirror Badges

Destination Star Trek Germany Terran Command Insignia

The newest additions to the collection include several Discovery Mirror Universe badges and daggers.

The Original Series Bridge

Destination Star Trek Germany Original Series Bridge

One of Friday's top destinations was The Original Series Bridge where fans could enjoy a photo in the captain's chair.

Destination Star Trek Germany Nichelle Nichols & Walter Koenig

A few very special fans went beyond the traditional photo opportunity for the chance to share the bridge with Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig.

Discovery's Captain's Chair

Destination Star Trek Germany Discovery Captain's Chair

Other fans chose to take command of the U.S.S. Discovery with their very own captain's chair photo or shared the bridge with a member of the Discovery crew.

Surprise Panel Crashers

Destination Star Trek Germany Robert Duncan McNeill & Aron Eisenberg

Throughout the day, some of the Trek stars popped up briefly on the Voyager Stage to surprise fans at the various panels and events. During the Star Trek Online panel with Aron Eisenberg, for example, Robert Duncan McNeill crashed the occasion.

Destination Star Trek Germany Mary Wiseman & Terry Farrell

Later, as Syfy Germany hosted a session with fans, the tandem of Terry Farrell and Mary Wiseman came out to say hi. As one might expect, the fans went just a little crazy. Will such drop-by visits happen all weekend long? Keep an eye on StarTrek.com to find out!

Opening Ceremony

Destination Star Trek Germany Discovery Selfie

The Enterprise Stage — the event’s main room — was the place to be early Friday evening, as the day ended with an official opening ceremony that featured the weekend’s master of ceremonies, Jordan Hoffman, welcoming the Star Trek stars to the stage, from William Shatner, Nana Visitor and Connor Trinneer to Nicole de Boer, Jeffrey Combs, Ethan Phillips and the Discovery actors, all of whom greeted the crowd and soaked in the fans loud applause and, in several instances, extended standing ovations. Here are some of the highlights:

Destination Star Trek Germany William Shatner

William Shatner (James T. Kirk)

Destination Star Trek Germany Nichelle Nichols

Nichelle Nichols (Uhura)

Destination Star Trek Germany Walter Koenig

Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov)

Destination Star Trek Germany Mary Wiseman

Mary Wiseman (Sylvia Tilly)

Destination Star Trek Germany Shazad Latif

Shazad Latif (Ash Tyler)

Destination Star Trek Germany Mary Chieffo

Mary Chieffo (L'Rell)

Destination Star Trek Germany Kenneth Mitchell

Kenneth Mitchell (Kol)

Destination Star Trek Germany Nana Visitor, Rene Auberjonois, Terry Farrell

Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys), Rene Auberjonois (Odo) & Terry Farrell (Jadzia Dax)

Destination Star Trek Germany Alexander Siddig

Alexander Siddig (Dr. Julian Bashir)

Destination Star Trek Germany Cirroc Lofton

Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko)

Destination Star Trek Germany Nicole de Boer

Nicole de Boer (Ezri Dax)

Destination Star Trek Germany Chase Masterson

Chase Masterson (Leeta)

DS9-Casey.png

Casey Biggs (Damar)

Destination Star Trek Germany Aron Eisenberg

Aron Eisenberg (Nog)

DS9-Armstrong.png

Vaughn Armstrong (12 Different Characters)

Destination Star Trek Germany Jeffrey combs

Jeffrey Combs (8 Different Characters)

Destination Star Trek Germany Max Grodenchik

Max Grodenchik (Rom)

Destination Star Trek Germany Robert O'Reilly

Robert O'Reilly (Gowron)

Destination Star Trek Germany Gary Graham

Gary Graham (Ambassador Soval)

Destination Star Trek Germany Ira Steven Behr

Ira Steven Behr (Deep Space Nine Executive Producer)

Destination Star Trek Germany Ethan Phillips

Ethan Phillips (Neelix)

Destination Star Trek Germany Robert Duncan McNeill

Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris)

Destination Star Trek Germany Connor Trinneer

Connor Trinneer (Charles "Trip" Tucker III)

Cosplayers

Destination Star Trek Germany Cosplay

Cosplayers were out in force on Day One of DSTG. We saw Bajorans, Klingons, Vulcans, Klingons, some redshirts, lots of fans in Discovery uniforms, and much, much more. Here are a few of the favorites!

Visit StarTrek.com again tomorrow for a recap of Day Two at DSTG. And be sure to check out our social pages for coverage throughout the day. 

View the full article

thumb_5fff3e73a30b6f84a7ae294dc040750091

Day Two of Destination Star Trek Germany featured wall-to-wall activities — with Trek stars on the two stages, unique photo ops, autographs, a cosplay masquerade, an auction, episode screenings and vendors offering their wares. StarTrek.com took it all in and is pleased to report back with the following recap...

Shatner on the Bridge... with Tribbles & Fans

Destination Star Trek Germany William Shatner

Kudos to whom ever thought up this fun photo opportunity: pose on the TOS Bridge with William Shatner seated in the captain’s chair, with fans — and Tribbles — by his side. Having a blast was no Tribble at all.

Alexander Siddig

There are few Trek actors as charming, relaxed and honest on stage as Alexander Siddig. DS9’s Dr. Bashir shared a wide variety of stories, from nearly being fired from DS9 early on to a prank Colm Meaney pulled on him at a bar, and from his knack forbdying on screen to his relationships with Avery Brooks and Andrew Robinson.

As for playing Dr. Bashir, Siddig recalled how he considered Julian naive early on in DS9’s run. “ I pegged him at 21 or 22, and I was 25 or 26 at the time,” Siddig said. “It was easy for me to play him because I was pretty naïve myself. He had to grow up on the show. I’m grateful to the way he evolved.”

Destination Star Trek Germany Alexander Siddig, Aron Eisenberg, Chase Masterson, Max Grodenchik

Fans got a special treat during Siddig’s panel when Rom, Leeta and Nog — or Max Grodenchik, Chase Masterson and Aron Eisenberg, all in makeup and costume — burst onto the stage to crash the occasion. Some playful banter followed, and Nog/Eisenberg settled into a chair, feigning a reluctance to leave.

Discovering Discovery

Destination Star Trek Germany, Mary Wiseman, Shazad Latif, Kenneth Mitchell, Mary Chieffo

Mary Wiseman, Shazad Latif, Kenneth Mitchell and Mary Chieffo teamed up for Discovery’s maiden voyage to a foreign official Trek event. Young, excited and full of energy, they had the crowd and each other laughing and thinking during their main-stage panel.

Destination Star Trek Germany, Mary Wiseman

Wiseman was making her first con appearance ever, of any kind. Asked what she did during her hiatus between seasons one and two of Discovery, she replied. “I slept. I slept. I slept. Give it up for sleep! I got engaged. And I did some other stuff that was not as cool as Star Trek.”

Destination Star Trek Germany, Kenneth Mitchell

And what about Mitchell’s time off? “I was with my kids and my wife on vacation,” he explained, casually building to a bombshell on which he could not elaborate. “And I’ve got a secret little role in Captain Marvel. I guess it’s not a secret anymore.”

Destination Star Trek Germany, Mary Wiseman

A fan asked the actors what they might have done for a living if they’d not pursued acting. Wiseman stated that she’d have been an elementary school teacher.

Destination Star Trek Germany, Shazad Latif

How about Latif? “I would have been a cook, a chef,” Latif said. “I love cooking. I love eating. So that’s probably what I would have done.”

Destination Star Trek Germany, Mary Chieffo

Chieffo spoke of becoming part of the greater Star Trek family. “Last night, I spoke to Terry (Farrell) and Nana (Visitor) at our hotel, which was amazing,” she said. “Terry and I had met at STLV, but I’d not met Nana yet. I geeked out. To meet both of them? They are two of my favorite characters from DS9, and to see that Terry and Nana are still so close after 25 years was wonderful.” Chieffo looked at her Discovery co-stars on the stage and said, “I’m glad I’ll be linked with these people forever.”

Boldly Hitting the Road

Andrea and her husband, Spock, are Trek fans from Frankfurt who drove their car to Dortmund for DSTG. Lots of folks did, of course. But their car, is no ordinary car. The front hood is decorated with images of Star Trek characters and ships. As the DSTG stars exited the convention center exit, many of them guests stopped to autograph the car and pose for photos with it.

Destination Star Trek Germany

“I’ve been a Trek fan since I was 6, so that’s a long time,” Becker said. “I said I wouldn’t get married unless I married Spock. I met my husband online and his nickname was Spock... so I married him. This has been such a fun project for us, getting the car signed.”

Visitor & Auberjonois

Old friends and colleagues Nana Visitor and Rene Auberjonois reminisced about their time on DS9, their friendship and their respective careers and upcoming projects.

Destination Star Trek Germany, Nana Visitor

Visitor revealed that she’ll reprise her role as Kira in Star Trek Online’s Victory Is Life episode. “I got to be Kira again,” Visitor said. “That was really fun. I was very satisfied with the character’s development. I like what happens in the story. I guess I can’t tell you the story, but you will like it, too.“

Destination Star Trek Germany, Rene Auberjonois

Auberjonois proudly showed off his Barack Obama socks. Near the end of the session he generated chuckles with this old DS9 anecdote: “In one episode, I, or Odo, morphed into a dog, into a German Shepherd, actually. A dog play the role, of course, and did the scenes with Armin. Meanwhile, I had the day off. The next morning, I came on set and Armin said, ‘You were good yesterday... really good.’”

Shatner Slam

Destination Star Trek Germany, William Shatner

Though it was actually referenced in the program, most fans at the Voyager stage didn’t know that William Shatner would come out to greet them, wish them a fun weekend and beckon them to attend his full talk later in the day. But that’s precisely what he did, further energizing an already-jazzed crowd.

Farrell & De Boer

Fans got a double dose of Dax when Terry Farrell and Nicole de Boer shared the stage for their main-stage panel. The two talked about their time on Deep Space Nine and the experience of, in essence, sharing a character.

Destination Star Trek Germany, Nicole de Boer

“I got the Jadzia part of Dax completely, totally,” de Boer noted. “I watched a few episodes with Terry in them and saw that she walked with her hands behind her back. So I did that, too, and it was my little tribute to Jadzia.”

Destination Star Trek Germany, Terry Farrell

Farrell admitted that did not watch season seven of DS9 following her season-six departure. She later shared an anecdote about encountering Discovery’s Mary Chieffo. “I was so excited to meet someone taller than me,” Farrell said. “She’s lovely. The Discovery cast, they’re really nice people.”

Phillips & McNeill

Ethan Phillips and Robert Duncan McNeill had the crowd at their panel cracking up pretty much the entire time. Not only did they tell amusing stories that entertained fans, they genuinely cracked themselves up as well.

Destination Star Trek Germany, Ethan Phillips

“Robbie was the first person to make me laugh on Voyager,” Phillips recalled. “And that’s because he pronounced PADD as PADD-Duh-duh.”

Destination Star Trek Germany, Ethan Phillips

Phillips also wowed the crowd by describing his old co-stars Voyager trailers, prompting a question about what his own trailer looked like. “My whole trailer was papered with pictures of Neelix that children had drawn,” he said, eliciting appreciative awwww’s. “Pencil drawings. Crayon drawings. I absolutely loved that.”

Destination Star Trek Germany, Robert Duncan McNeill

McNeill, not surprisingly, was queried about Voyager’s unusual and entertaining Captain Proton adventures. “I thought it was great,” McNeill said. “Star Trek, at least Voyager, was pretty serious. It had some humor but not much. They didn’t want to make fun of Star Trek, Starfleet, or what was happening to the crew. Too funny might not work. When they came up with Captain Proton, I thought it was genius. We could have fun with all the tropes of sci-fi and play a little bit with Star Trek. And the black-and-white was brilliant, too.”

Classic Shatner

William Shatner stepped out onto the main stage to close out Saturday at DSTG. He’s 87 now, but sharp as a tack. The Trek icon spent the better part of an hour talking about life, fame, Trek, death, his lack of singing chops (which he insisted is balanced by his ability to “feel the lyrics”), why he won’t guest star on The Orville (“He’s imitating me. What can I do?”), working with Peter Falk on Columbo, harnessing the power and reach of Twitter to help people in need, his upcoming albums (are you ready for ShatnerClaus!?!?) and much more.

Addressing the matter of fame, Shatner explained that he was a popular child actor in Canada by age six, respected for his stage work while in college, and had appeared in numerous shows and movies before Star Trek gave him pop culture immortality.

“I don’t think of being famous as being famous,” he said. “It’s been my life. It’s not different to me. Yes, it’s weird, but it’s my experience. The good and bad, being stared at (in a good sense) and… being stared at (in a bad sense), if you understand what I’m saying... I’m used to that. It’s what I know. Like I say, it’s my life. I don’t know anything else.”

Cosplay Masquerade

Cosplayers had their moment to shine and show off their memorable, creative costumes to fellow fans during the Cosplay Masquerade. Dozens of fans participated and hundreds of fans cheered them on. The winners included:

Destination Star Trek Germany, cosplay

Ina and Marco from Hannover, Germany, as Andorians

Mo from Austria as Stamets and Laura from England as U.S.S Discovery Captain

Kim from Germany as Seven of Nine

Bastian, Dirk and Achim from Germany as Borgs with Captain Archer

Not all of the cosplayers participated in the Masquerade. Here are some of the cosplayers hanging out at DSTG:

Klingon Bridge

Destination Star Trek Germany, klingon, kenneth mitchell, mary chieffo

Many fans took to the Klingon Bridge to sit in the throne chair and pose for photos. And some took it to the next level, posing there with Discovery’s Klingons, Kenneth Mitchell and Mary Chieffo. Qapla!

Rom, Nog & Leeta

Destination Star Trek Germany, Max Grodenchik, Chase Masterson and Aron Eisenberg

Ferengi and Leeta fans had the opportunity to pose for photos with the popular trio of Max Grodenchik, Chase Masterson and Aron Eisenberg, who slipped back into costume and makeup as Rom, Leeta and Nog. The actors also posed separately and in a Rom-Nog combo with fans.

Check out our Day One recap, and be sure to visit StarTrek.com again tomorrow to read our recap of the third and final day at Destination Star Trek Germany.

View the full article