Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Discovery "Bonus Scene" Unveiled at Wondercon

SPOILERS!

thumb_9bdb744e86066fe5010712786c0830a2ee

Section 31, Emperor Georgiou and black deltas, oh my. Season two of Star Trek: Discovery hasn’t even started filming yet, but fans got a taste of what’s in store for the show’s sophomore year during The Making of Star Trek: Discovery panel on Saturday at WonderCon in Anaheim.

Among the highlights of the hour, fans were treated to a scene cut from the season-one finale, “Will You Take My Hand?”. The 2-minute and 30-second scene, apparently a coda sequence set soon after the events of the finale, gives us Emperor Georgiou – who’s running a bar/club in the Orion market on Qo'noS  -- making the acquaintance of a man named Leland (Alan van Sprang), posing as a Trill. She assumes he’s Starfleet, but he’s not. Leland explains that he’s with a “far more resourceful” organization that considers her a “valuable asset,” and he offers her the opportunity to "exert some influence over the fate of this galaxy." He departs, leaving behind… a case with a black delta shield. “Welcome to Section 31,” he says as he walks away. Check it out below:

Section 31, a secret and unsanctioned extremist entity within Starfleet Intelligence, was first introduced in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, in the episode “Inquisition.” It also was a factor in Star Trek: Enterprise and Star Trek Into Darkness, not to mention several Star Trek novels and comic books. Discovery fans got their first, unconfirmed taste of Section 31 – and their all-black badges -- in the episode, “Context Is for Kings.” It’s worth checking out that episode again now after the reveal of the cut finale sequence.

Alan van Spring

Following the screening of the scene, Alan van Spring – a Canadian actor best known for his work on the series Reign and Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments – made an unannounced appearance on the WonderCon stage. Sitting in on the panel, van Sprang, a “massive” TNG fan, played coy about Section 31 and Leland. “Section 31 is…,” he teases, then stopped. “I can’t say anything about it. Literally, it’s a Section that cannot be spoken of." He deemed himself “absolutely honored” to now be a part of Trek.

Star Trek: Discovery Black Badge

Speaking of Section 31 and the black delta badges, fans who asked questions during the panel received free, brand-new black delta badge replicas from QMx, which will soon make them available to the public. You can pre-order the badge at www.QMXOnline.com.

Panel Host, Mary Chieffo

As for the rest of The Making of Star Trek: Discovery, the panel was hosted by Mary Chieffo, who plays L’Rell, and featured executive producers and behind-the-scenes talents who proceeded to look back at season one and open the curtain just slightly on season two. Panelists included Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts (Executive Producers & Showrunners); Tamara Deverell (Production Designer); Gersha Phillips (Costume Designer); Mario Moreira (Props Master); Glenn Hetrick & James MacKinnon (Prosthetics & Special FX Makeup); Jeff Russo (Composer); and Jason Zimmerman (VFX Supervisor).

Chieffo, Berg and Harberts

Harberts and Berg addressed the process of creating episodes and treating a season of episodes as “chapters in a novel.” They also talked about the importance of long-range planning, which they said will be key to pulling off season two.

Props Master, Moreira

Prop master Moreira told the audience that he had an ace up his sleeve when trying to bring in top-notch talent and elicit their best work: “It’s much easier when you ask if they want to do something for Star Trek.

VFX Supervisor, Zimmerman

“In VFX these day,” Zimmerman explained, “there are a lot of invisible effects in the show, I think more than people realize.” In other words, his job involves much, much more than just space battles.

Prosthetics & Special FX Makeup, Hetrick

“Our approach to the Klingons,” noted Hetrick, “was we wanted to take that evolutionary imperative and take that realism farther.” That was his and his team’s modus operandi in creating the Klingons and different looks for 24 great houses.

“When we had to tear down the Sarcophagus ship it was a very sad day in the art department,” Deverell recalled. However, she brightened as she revealed that the crew was able to reuse and recycle elements elsewhere during season one. “They’re little Easter eggs for the fans to find.”

Deverell and Russo

Both Russo and Deverell confessed they keep Spock dolls on their desks that they ask what to do when they have creative or production issues. “I often think ‘What would Picard do?’” Hetrick said, eliciting laughs as he discussed how he approaches getting past creative blocks or production problems. Russo drew chuckles, too, when he admitted, “One time I just had to have some hot Earl Grey tea… and that worked as well.”

Culber and Stamets

Regarding the show’s representation of the LGBTQ community, Berg said, “We were always gender-blind and sexual-orientation-blind when it came to the story. I’m really proud we have so many kickass women behind the camera and in front of (the camera on) this show.” Harberts then directly addressed a fan question about future same-sex couples, beyond Stamets and Culber, and was particularly interested to know if they’ll feature women. “In terms of your question on same-sex couples on the female side, you may well be already watching one -- and just don’t know,” Harberts said. “As a gay man, what is really important to me about presenting gay characters is that they always lead with their competence and their character first, and not with their sexuality. So, that is true of all of our characters on our bridge. All of our characters, who are so different, they lead with their professionalism and their strong character first. So, you may already have a window into a relationship and you just don’t know it.”

Costume Designer, Phillips

“I start by gathering some research,” Phillips said of her approach to designing costumes before going to producers. “It’s very collaborative with my illustrator. There’s a very cool dynamic there. It has to emote and connect on some level.”

Speaking of costumes, now that fans have seen the U.S.S. Enterprise, what will happen with the U.S.S. Discovery crew’s uniforms? Will they evolve toward the TOS uniforms? “We ended the season with the Enterprise and we know what those uniforms look like,” Harberts acknowledged. “So, I’ll leave it at that.”

Harberts addressed Discovery’s timeline and whether or not it was actually set in the Prime universe. "The idea was always to be in the Prime timeline,” he stated. “Obviously, there are questions and concerns and things that are different. Our technology is different. We have a ship that runs very differently. We are our own show in many ways. Season two is really exciting for us because this is our opportunity to really show how Discovery fits into this Prime timeline. We're firmly committed to that, but I do like the idea of seeing other universes from time to time."

Panelists

“It’s very evident that this whole team is very dedicated to embodying the principles of Starfleet,” Chieffo enthused, referring to both the show and the production crew’s commitment to it.

Among the final comments as the panel wrapped up were these telling words from Harberts: “It was an interesting season because it was set against the backdrop of war,” he said of Discovery’s first season. “One of things we are looking forward to in season two is a tone that we can now be in a more exploratory phase and a more diplomatic phase… maybe a bit more of a Trek-ian chapter. But everything for us is really driven by character.”

All of Star Trek: Discovery's first season is available for streaming/viewing on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada. It's available on Netflix in the rest of the world.

Star Trek Discovery CBS All Access

Star Trek Discovery Space Channel CraveTV

Star Trek Discovery Netflix

View the full article

thumb_9148af349148da7bfa2d5252d3ac40909f

And the crowd went crazy. Let’s explain: During the Star Trek: Discovery panel two weeks ago at WonderCon, fans were treated to a scene trimmed from the season-one finale, “Will You Take My Hand?”. The 2-minute and 30-second scene, a coda set not long after the events of the finale, featured Emperor Georgiou operating a bar/club in the Orion market on Qo'noS and encountering a supposed Trill named Leland (Alan van Sprang). She thinks he’s Starfleet, but he reveals that he’s part of a “far more resourceful” organization that considers her a “valuable asset,” and he offers her the opportunity to "exert some influence over the fate of this galaxy." Walking away, he leaves behind a case with a black delta shield and says, “Welcome to Section 31.”

Emperor Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh) and Leland (Alan van Sprang)

Moments after the WonderCon attendees watched that scene, they met Alan van Sprang, who played Leland in the scene and will return for more intrigue in season two of Discovery. Following his time on the stage, the actor – a Canadian whose credits include Conundrum, Viper, La Femme Nikita, Earth: Final Conflict, Soul Food, Evel Knievel, Saw III, Diary of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, The Tudors, Saving Hope, Reign and Shadowhunters – ventured into the press room to speak briefly with journalists about the finale scene, Leland and more. StarTrek.com was in the room, and here’s what he had to say:

Welcome to the Star Trek universe.

Oh, thank you.

How does it feel to be part of this massive family?

Pretty honored. It's pretty amazing. (Showrunners) Aaron (Harberts) and Gretchen (J. Berg)… I was doing a show called Reign and they took over that show. So, they knew me from that. They gave me a phone call and said, “Hey, would (you) like to come on board.” They didn't know what character, what I'd be doing. This was just sort of thrown in my lap. So, here we go.

Tell us about your character…

I play Leland, who's the new Section 31 (operative) in the show, and that's basically all I can say. It's basically the intelligence, a non-existent intelligence of Starfleet, and then he brings people on board.

Were you aware of Section 31 before? Or even of Star Trek in advance of Discovery?

Oh, absolutely. I'd heard of (Star Trek) through The Original Series, but I didn't get familiar with (Section 31) until I played the part. So, I looked back on it in Deep Space Nine.

Tell us about the deleted scene from “Will You Take My Hand?” and working with Michelle Yeoh…

Emperor Georgiou

Well, it was fantastic. I was a huge fan of hers, through Crouching Tiger and James Bond, and I knew who I was going to be working with. I read the script just before, and she was just so easygoing and nice to work with. There was no intimidation. I was very relaxed and we shot that scene, it was really quick, in a couple of hours. It was mostly set-up shots and extras that took the most time. But Michelle was fantastic. It was very easy, it was great. I look forward to the next journey.

Fans really haven’t seen this type of Star Trek show before, something serialized from the beginning. What are your thoughts on the serialization aspect?

I enjoy that. The show that I just came off of, Shadowhunters, for two and a half years, it was a serialized series as well. It was kind of a soap opera, so it went from episode to episode to episode, and I actually prefer that, because I prefer getting a script and knowing where I'm going from the next episode as opposed to just getting the new guest stars and having to do it with the new structure, new script. I can't wait.

How did the producers break it to you that that great scene didn't make the final cut?

Leland

It was the best news I ever heard.

Really? Why?

Seriously, because they were introducing it here (at WonderCon), as opposed to just being a teaser, leading up to something in the first season. They just said, “Look, we're going to make a teaser trailer,” and I came out here. No, this is way better than having something on season one as a cliffhanger. I was thrilled.

Star Trek: Discovery's first season is available on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada. It's available on Netflix in the rest of the world.

Star Trek Discovery CBS All Access

Star Trek Discovery Space Channel CraveTV

Star Trek Discovery Netflix

View the full article