Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

MARS ROVER UPDATE

1. A potential problem, but one they think will be over come is an airbag which has not completely deflated leaving an air bubble in the path of departure for the rover. It is said that simply turning the crank one more revolution will pull that bubble under the petal leaf.

#2. Postcard from Mars: Look for the White areas devoid of any rocks, these are depressions filled in with sand (potentially quicksand if the rover gets stuck in one)

Click for Spoiler:

P2302-540-361.jpg

A Better Look At The White Areas

#4. Airbag Marks. This is truly amazing! When the airbags pulled in they disturbed the surface in a way which has reveled a totally new, never before seen surface feature. Look at the picture at the Airbags marks link, see how the topsoil is folded over and wrinkled? Also note how in the foregroung, the rocks have been squished straight down into the soil. It's been dubbed "Mega-crust" and they are anxious to get a closer look and examine this bizarre feature in more detail and so do I!

Just spare a thought for poor old Beagle II!!! :)

I know, that stinks about BII but it's not the first time a Mars probe has failed and a VERY valuable lesson for being careful about the landing site was learned so it's not a total loss...

Rest in Peace Beagle 2.

Just spare a thought for poor old Beagle II!!! :)

Yeah that is really too bad for Beagle II but at least Spirit made it. Let's hope the one that is going to land soon (on the other side of Mars) will be as sucessfull as Spirit :)

Edited by Data_rox

There is still hope for Beagle 2 if a satelite can detect it and recieve its signals and send them back to Earth. :assimilated:

Ya, Mars is cool.

i heard that they found a giant well-like thing, that might have held ~water~ at one time!

thats so kool.

Anyway, mars is gonna be our new home before long, says i.

i gtg, cya.