Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Riker - Beard or No Beard?

thumb_f6ab996b0013a2bb57f3f8318a1fa85edb

There are so many questions to ponder in this topsy-turvy, ever-crazy world of ours, but today, on National No Beard Day, we at StarTrek.com ask: Riker - Beard or No Beard?

insetwithoutbeard.jpg

insetbeard.jpg

As you contemplate the question, consider the following:

According to the Urban Dictionary, this is the top definition of the term Riker's Beard -

"Euphemism for a moment in time (typically in pop culture) where something or someone that was lackluster and/or underachieving suddenly and surprisingly became much better and exciting. Taken from Star Trek: The Next Generation, which many fans considered wanting until Commander Riker grew a beard at the start of Season Two, after which the show was solid and well-received for the rest of its run."

insetinterview.jpg

Last year, in an interview with StarTrek.com, Jonathan Frakes replied to a fan who wanted to know if he preferred Riker with or without the beard. His answer was... "Bearded, without a doubt. I’m so proud that Riker’s beard is in the Urban Dictionary, defined as the opposite of jumping the shark. So, I’d have to go with the beard. And I’ve always liked the beard."

So, what say YOU?

View the full article