Sign in to follow this  
Vic

FIRST LOOK: "Context is for Kings" Photos [SPOILER WARNING]

thumb_062dd186717c266c4b8db4175c3e2215f7

Episode three of Star Trek: Discovery will be "Context is for Kings," and the first six photos have been released. Look closely to see the first appearance of a furry friend!

star trek discovery, michael burnham, sonequa martin-green

Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green)

Star trek discovery, michael burnham, saru, sonequa martin-green, doug jones

Michael Burnham and Saru (Doug Jones) on the bridge of the U.S.S. Discovery

Star trek discovery, michael burnham, captain gabriel lorca, sonequa martin-green, jason isaacs

Captain Gabriel Lorca (Jason Isaacs) of the U.S.S. Discovery with Michael Burnham

star trek discovery, paul stamets, anthony rapp

Lt. Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp)

Star trek discovery, saru, doug jones

Saru on the U.S.S. Discovery bridge

Star trek discovery, michael burnham, sonequa martin-green, sylvia tilly, lt paul stamets, mary wiseman, anthony rapp

Cadet Sylvia Tilly (Mary Wiseman), Michael Burnham & Lt. Paul Stamets

Star Trek: Discovery airs Sunday nights on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada. The series airs on Mondays on Netflix in the rest of the world.

Star Trek Discovery CBS All Access

Star Trek Discovery Space Channel CraveTV

Star Trek Discovery Netflix

View the full article

thumb_7b50dbc834dc371332c6d82986a644092a

Spoiler Alert! (If you haven't seen the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery)

Last Time on Discovery...

EP1-TKuvma.jpg

A Klingon leader, T'Kuvma, had drawn the U.S.S. Shenzhou to the outer limits of Federation space in an effort to unite the 24 Klingon houses.

EP2-Georgiou-Burnham.jpg

First Officer Michael Burnham, having just discovered the Klingons amongst the binary stars -- and having learned the meaning of a "Vulcan hello" from her adoptive father, Sarek -- determinedly advised Captain Georgiou to shoot first (the Vulcan hello). Georgiou rejected the argument, prompting Burnham to incapacitate the captain with a Vulcan nerve pinch. Taking command, Burnham ordered the crew to fire on the perceived enemy. A dazed-but-recovered Georgiou pulled a phaser on Burnham and sent her to the brig, but Burnham was right -- and the Klingon-Federation war commenced.

EP2-Georgiou-TKuvma.jpg

A disabled U.S.S. Shenzhou knocked out the Klingon Sarcophagus ship's defenses, enabling Burnham and Georgiou to beam onto the Klingon ship's bridge. During hand-to-hand combat, T'Kuvma killed Georgiou and in turn Burnham killed him. But the damage was done: Georgiou and many others aboard the Shenzhou dead, the war on, Burnham convicted of mutiny and sentenced to life in prison.

Next on Discovery...

Burnham Lands on the U.S.S. Discovery

EP3-Burnham.jpg

In "Context Is for Kings," Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) finds herself aboard the U.S.S. Discovery, where she quickly realizes things are not as they seem, including the mysterious Captain Gabriel Lorca (Jason Isaacs).

EP3_Burnham-Saru.jpg

Burnham will see that Lt. Saru (Doug Jones) of the U.S.S. Shenzhou, is now on the Discovery bridge -- and he's not exactly happy to see her.

New Characters & a Trek Favorite Are Revealed

EP3-Stamets.jpg

Lt. Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp). An astromycoloist - or fungus expert - and Starfleet Science Officer aboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Stamets is a genius with the air of a curmudgeon twice his age.

EP3-Tilly.jpg

Sylvia Tilly (Mary Wiseman). A freshly minted Starfleet Academy Cadet assigned to the U.S.S. Discovery, Tilly is wide-eyed, good-natured and full of nervous excitement.

EP3-Lorca-Burnham1.jpg

And a Trek favorite makes a guest appearance... a Tribble on Lorca's desk.

Worth Noting...

"Context Is For Kings" marks the first episode directed by series executive producer Akiva Goldsman. He is currently directing the season finale. It was Goldsman who insisted that Tribbles be among the show's Easter eggs.

Star Trek: Discovery airs Sunday nights on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada. The series airs on Mondays on Netflix in the rest of the world.

Star Trek Discovery CBS All Access

Star Trek Discovery Space Channel CraveTV

Star Trek Discovery Netflix

View the full article

I was drawn in by this episode. I also watched this episode multiple times, which is one advantage to Star Trek being on all access.

Saru was blunt and to the point. I loved Burnham's speech when she made it plain to Lorca that she lives and dies by Star Fleet Principles.

The magnitude of her loss, and the pain it brings, is apparent but not overacted. I liked the scene where she touched the insignia on

the pillow. I think crediting Burnham with starting the war with the Klingons is not quite accurate, since the Kingons were planning war all along,

despite what everyone says. The Federation does not understand the Klingons well enough to make a better assessment of what started the war,

But she did mutiny. I am glad she is out of jail.

What I liked about this episode was how an apparently resigned to her fate  Burnham popped right back into top form when put into situations that needed her expertise.

I also liked Lorca's comment on how the universe perhaps did not like waste.

Edited by mj