Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

The Future of Trek: What I would like to see

While we are waiting for ENT to end it's television run I'd like to see a film (or two) where this era of TNG DS9 & VOY is brought to a close. A mixed cast (from the three series) story, which sees Sisko emerge from the Wormhole just in time to assist the other casts in a final showdown with the Borg Queen and leading to peace among all the old enemys.

After that ENT takes center stage for a trilogy that deals mainly with three things (in no particular order;) Formation of the Federation, the Romulan War and the Ending of the TCW. The chapter ending the TCW could introduce us to a new crew existing at the same time as the time of the TCW (25, 26 or 27th century?), they could be instrumental in assisting Archer win it (with or without Archer's knowledge.)

Once that is accomplished, a new series set during the time of the now defunct TCW and a new mission utilizing the new crew (which we met before) with a very aligned group of past enemies (Roms, Klings, ect) could be launched to face a new greatest threat ever known.

What do you think, logical?

Sounds like a good way to go AE. I certainly like the idea of a mixed cast for the next movie..There are plenty of ways the story could go. The real trick is executing it in a way that will be successful at the box office. I'm sure Nemesis started out as a great story but it wasn't a very popular movie..

Well, I don't see why fans want the TNG/DS9/VOY crews mixed up. To me, this would come off campy. I'm all for crossovers and cameos, but a seemless blend would feel forced, I feel.

I love your idea to do a movie-trilogy for ENT, instead of a film series. I'd say to have the first end the Romulan War, the 2nd found the Federation, and the 3rd end the TCW. Instead of introducing the complete cast for the next series, I'd say only introduce 2 or 3 characters, then introduce the rest of them in the series 6 premiere.

As for the movies, here's what I'd like to see:

TNG movie, with Riker as captain of the Ent-E.

DS9 movie about Sisko's return.

VOY movie about the Ocampans, Borg, or Species 8472.

New Cast Movie (maybe)

AE, what do you think?

Well, I don't see why fans want the TNG/DS9/VOY crews mixed up.  To me, this would come off campy.  I'm all for crossovers and cameos, but a seemless blend would feel forced, I feel.

I love your idea to do a movie-trilogy for ENT, instead of a film series.  I'd say to have the first end the Romulan War, the 2nd found the Federation, and the 3rd end the TCW.  Instead of introducing the complete cast for the next series, I'd say only introduce 2 or 3 characters, then introduce the rest of them in the series 6 premiere.

New Cast Movie (maybe)

AE, what do you think?

I thought you were for a mixed cast movie a few months ago.

I like the idea about a movie-trilogy for ENT, then after that I think Trek needs a break for 2-3 years, then they could return with a series based in the 25th century, were ships can travel at warp 15 :laugh:

For a movie I would like to see VOY or mixed cast meet the threat of species 8472, perhaps with some involvment of the Borg.

Actually, I keep changing my mind between new & mixed cast. :laugh:

Ah. Sorry I got a bit confused there.

In my opinion (assuming we can't have another TNG film) then I would like a Riker film without anyone from Voyager or DS9.

Well, I don't see why fans want the TNG/DS9/VOY crews mixed up.  To me, this would come off campy.  I'm all for crossovers and cameos, but a seemless blend would feel forced, I feel.

I just think it would work given a big enough threat to the Fed...

(Species 8247 is a good one Stelfan but that leaves the Borg arc open, I'm looking for closure to this time frame in history)

...the Borg threat would imo be good enough reason to assemble everybody in one place and besides, they are all together at the same point in time.

(Besides being campy why not?)

Instead of introducing the complete cast for the next series, I'd say only introduce 2 or 3 characters, then introduce the rest of them in the series 6 premiere.

I'll buy that. I think it's important a seed for the future be planted so it don't really matter how many we meet, what's important is showing us there is a future.

New Cast Movie (maybe)

AE, what do you think?

I think that would be the ideal movie mixture if it weren't for one thing: the possibility of there barely being one more feature in this time frame let alone 4. If tptb would say "Hey! Lets do a feature film for each of the three finished series!" then this thread would be moot but yeah, good ideas.

(Species 8247 is a good one Stelfan but that leaves the Borg arc open, I'm looking for closure to this time frame in history)

...the Borg threat would imo be good enough reason to assemble everybody in one place and besides, they are all together at the same point in time.

(Besides being campy why not?)

Well, I'm tired of the "Oh no, the Federation is in grave danger!" plot. I want something refreshing like the V'Ger plot, or defending a world of youth in an ethic struggle. As for seeing Species 8472 or the Borg, I'm all for it. However, I have to say oe thing. I don't want closure. If this were, say, The X Files or something, then yes, I'd want closure. However, this is Trek where the possibilities are endless, I allways want a feeling of "the adventure continues". So far, each series finale and movie have given me that. :laugh: I feel TNG has concluded since the Riker and Troi left the Enteprise as well as Data being killed/destroyed. I just feel that it'd be a grave mistake to have a movie with some 30 characters, closing up this era, and saying, "Sorry, it's over, move on." I'd rather have a movie focused on a specific crew on one ship, and at the end, I want a feeling of, "They're off to new adventures."

Instead of introducing the complete cast for the next series, I'd say only introduce 2 or 3 characters, then introduce the rest of them in the series 6 premiere.

I'll buy that. I think it's important a seed for the future be planted so it don't really matter how many we meet, what's important is showing us there is a future.

Yeah, I agree. :laugh:

New Cast Movie (maybe)

AE, what do you think?

I think that would be the ideal movie mixture if it weren't for one thing: the possibility of there barely being one more feature in this time frame let alone 4. If tptb would say "Hey! Lets do a feature film for each of the three finished series!" then this thread would be moot but yeah, good ideas.

Why couldn't there be more movies in the late 24th century? There's plenty to do with DS9 & VOY, I feel. The, "Hey! Lets do a feature film for each of the three finished series!" would be cheating us. Not "every" Trek series has to have a movie. If it were up to me, DS9 would get a mini-series while VOY makes the 11th movie.

Movie wise, I think we need more closure for TNG and that they should pass the torch(so to speak) to the next "genre" of movies.. Wether that be DS9 or VOY.. I don't think we should be introduced to a new crew in a movie... IMHO

Movie wise, I think we need more closure for TNG and that they should pass the torch(so to speak) to the next "genre" of movies..  Wether that be DS9 or VOY..  I don't think we should be introduced to a new crew in a movie...  IMHO

Why does TNG need closure? I'd be much more happier with them splitting up and ending with them "out there on new adventures".

Movie wise, I think we need more closure for TNG and that they should pass the torch(so to speak) to the next "genre" of movies..  Wether that be DS9 or VOY..  I don't think we should be introduced to a new crew in a movie...  IMHO

Why does TNG need closure? I'd be much more happier with them splitting up and ending with them "out there on new adventures".

Just don't give them another movie. They are already out there all split up on their own adventures..It's time for DS9/Voyager in the next set of movies in my opinion..

Movie wise, I think we need more closure for TNG and that they should pass the torch(so to speak) to the next "genre" of movies..  Wether that be DS9 or VOY..

That's cool and I agree with you about TNG being closed out, The cost of Stewart being in the film sucks the budget dry imho.

I don't think we should be introduced to a new crew in a movie...  IMHO

That's your opinion and I respect it, you won't get any browbeating from me. Thanks for responding. :laugh:

..It's time for DS9/Voyager in the next set of movies in my opinion.. 

I always hoped they do get their own films but with each passing day....

When it comes to a DS9 or VOY movie, I'm too much of a realist. Neither would do well enough in the box office to counter the cost to make a respectable film. Each show's ratings were poor compared to those of TNG, and a film from either would be incredibly lucky to make even 5 million in its opening weekend. For DS9, add the fact that it has been off the air too long already; people went to see Generations because TNG, the highest rated syndicated show of all time, and high-grossing STVI were still fresh on their minds. What interest do we have to build on now? A series that's lucky to get 3-4 million viewers a wk and probably the worst performing ST film so far. Besides those few of us who keep talk of Trek around, the franchise is practically on hiatus.

In my opinion, the only feasible idea is to let Trek idle for 5-10 years, and then infuse some new blood into it. I actually would suggest forming a cast of relatively well-knowns (or very well-knows if they would sign-on), and make a good action-oriented ST film. I'll admit that I don't like a ton of action in my Trek, but there needs to be something to draw in new viewers. If not, the franchise will stagnate even more than it has already. The film would still need to be true Trek, of course (big "no-no" to alienate pre-existing fans), but would focus more on the people and situations and less on the technology.

If this film were to do very well, it could be built on in a sequel 1-2 yrs later, or go immediately into production of a series (Preferably not on UPN :laugh: ).

Now, whether I think I would like this direction or not, I believe it is one of the only ways to revive Trek in the future. Believe me, though, if a DS9, VOY, or mixed-cast movie is ever made and does incredibly well, I'll happily eat my words. :laugh:

Edited by Ace

You know fredbroca I agree with you, that is something that could be done and if they did I wouldn't boycot it or anything like that, it could be the fresh idea trek needs.

yea I just love those books and I really think that it would infuse so much into trek and just to see some of the things they did in the book on screen would leave me in tears of laughter but as it is a book I don't think it will happen but I will watch it with my eyes glued to the screen if it does happen.

Ace Posted on Jan 2 2004, 07:31 PM  When it comes to a DS9 or VOY movie, I'm too much of a realist. Neither would do well enough in the box office to counter the cost to make a respectable film

Jackpot! That was the biggest part of the idea surrounding my original post on this thread. I was looking for a way to make as many fans as possible happy with a mixed cast swan song for that time period while trying to explore other possibility’s for getting Trek moving into new but familiar territories. wink.gif

Well, no one wants to know how I feel about it, and one only needs to visit the TOS forum at trekbbs to gain an understanding as to what would make me happy ... this does not.

Berman and the entire production staff should be let go in favor of people who understand what made the original so brilliant. Hiring real science fiction writers would be a good start.

I see your point, however I think it would possible to involve Species 8274 and still find closure for the Borg arc.

I see your point, however I think it would possible to involve Species 8274 and still find closure for the Borg arc.

You're right! Aren't the Borg and species 8247 enemies? An alliance between the Fed and 8247 (and others) with the goal of wiping out the Borg is a viable option.

The entire sector could become united over this one common goal: Save ourselves from the Borg. Does that sounds like a true Trek theme with meaning for our current times?

Sounds like a good way to go AE. I certainly like the idea of a mixed cast for the next movie..

GREAT IDEA AE. send it in to the powers that be

Thank you spacetigger & cptwright!

I'm a little confused about species 8247 and the Borg, Stelfan, what is their current relationship? (if any, I feel asleep during that episode)

Well, no one wants to know how I feel about it, and one only needs to visit the TOS forum at trekbbs to gain an understanding as to what would make me happy ... this does not.

I'm not a member of trekbbs, why wouldn't I want to hear your opinion and what does "... this does not" mean?

You're right! Aren't the Borg and species 8247 enemies? An alliance between the Fed and 8247 (and others) with the goal of wiping out the Borg is a viable option.

The entire sector could become united over this one common goal: Save ourselves from the Borg. Does that sounds like a true Trek theme with meaning for our current times?

What a great idea! ;);)

I can imagine Captain Riker with a mixed TNG-VOY crew going on that mission. Maybe they could even find a reason to stop at DS9.

I'd like to see one of the following for the 11th movie:

TNG - Romulan story with Riker as captain.

DS9 - Sisko returns story.

VOY - Borg or 8472 story.

ENT - Maybe a mid-series movie.

Mixed Cast - I feel it'd come off too tacky...

New Cast - Might bring back the franchise! ;)