Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Glovers getting ready to face Liverpool

Yeovil Game a Sell-Out

soc_anm.gif

_39505962_garyjohnson203.jpg_39631471_houllier203.jpg

The Managers: Yeovil's Gary Johnson (Left) Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier (Right)

Division 3 side Yeovil Town's FA Cup Third Round match against Liverpool on Sunday, kick-off 1.00pm, is now a sell-out according to the Huish Park Ticket Office. No more tickets will be available.

On Sunday queues spanned the entire stretch of the stadium as supporters camped out overnight to ensure their place at the much talked about event.

Club secretary Jean Cotton said: "It was amazing to see so many people prepared to wait overnight. We know there would be a huge demand for tickets but we kept being surprised at the lengths fans will go to see the Liverpool tie."

Yeovil Town against Liverpool has all the ingredients of the archetypal Third Round FA Cup clash. As a non League club, Yeovil reached the FA Cup proper over 40 times and claimed 20 League scalps - many of those on the now legendary sloping pitch at Yeovil's former Huish Stadium.

The excitement of the minnows facing the big fish, and anticipation of renowned giant killers lowering the colours of the six times winners, on their own tight ground in front of live BBC television cameras. However those expecting to see an upset should keep in mind that Liverpool have been knocked out of the FA Cup at the Third Round stage once in the last decade. That was 1-3, at home to Coventry on 3 January 1998.

_39323100_owenceleb_get.jpg

Liverpool and England star Michael Owen

Premiership giants Liverpool will be without Steven Gerrard (thigh strain) and goalkeeper Chris Kirkland (broken finger) but today has seen a massive boost for Liverpool and Yeovil fans alike as England's star striker Michael Owen announced himself fit for FA Cup duty.

Manager Gerard Houllier confirmed: "Michael will be coming with us and I would say he has a good chance of being involved at some stage in the game.

The game will be broadcast live 13:00 GMT on BBC1 in the UK and Fox Sports World in the USA.

Should be a good game, i'm watching it right now on Fox Sports World, Liverpool really isn't what they were a few years ago, and they have a lot of injures, Owen wasn't in the starting 11. Should be good.

Half Time:

The thing I like most about the FA Cup is seeing the games played on those small local venues, not the over sized ones. Liverpool couldn't score a goal if they were being paid to.......oh wait. lol

Diouf gets a yellow card for diving, shocking, I knew Diouf wasn't that great when they signed him, he was just one of those flavour of the moment guys who had a good World Cup, he hasn't scored a goal in 31 League Games, reason? He spends to much time on the ground.

Liverpool is ripe for an upset, they have nothing up front, and no cohesion between the Liverfool players.

Yeovil is playing to keep it close, waiting for the "Mighty Reds" to make a mistake, which seems very likely.

Full time-

Liverpool got lucky, after a shamful 1st half Liverpool managed to pull it togeather by sending in Heskey, a move which payed off in the 70th min with a goal that you would expect from a top flight team. The 76th min foul on Kewell was a joke, Diouf's dive wasn't as bad as Kewell's, they caught a lucky break which lead to Murphy putting the PK away.

Yeovil Town though, played a good game, but just lost due to some lucky breaks for Liverpool. Yeovil is a good example of a Nationwide League Team, young, scrappy, and playing the game for the real reasons you play it, score goals, win, and make the supporters happy. Yeovil showed they could hang with the big boys, Liverpool may have won, but they should have done better.

Final score: Yeovil 0:2 Liverpool (0:0)

Nice job Yeovil.

Edited by poguemahone

FA Cup Third Round

Yeovil Town 0 Liverpool 2

Scorers: Emile Heskey (70), Danny Murphy (pen 77)

Referee : Neale Barry

Attendance: 9,348

Yeovil Town : (4-4-1-1)

1. Chris Weale 2. Adam Lockwood 4. Terry Skiverton 12. Hugo Rodrigues 5. Colin Pluck 24. Paul Terry 6. Darren Way 8. Lee Johnson 10. Nick Crittenden 20. Gavin Williams 9. Kevin Gall

Subs: 7. Adam Stansfield 13. Steven Collis 16. Andy Lindegaard (38, for Terry) 18. Kirk Jackson (74, for Pluck) 23. Jamie Gosling (77, for Lindegaard)

Liverpool: (4-4-1-1)

1. Jerzy Dudek 25. Igor Biscan 2. Stephane Henchoz 4. Sami Hyypia 18. John Arne Riise 9. El Hadji Diouf 13. Danny Murphy 16. Dietmar Hamann 11. Vladimir Smicer 7. Harry Kewell 24. Florent Sinama Pongolle

Subs: 8. Emile Heskey (51, for Pongolle) 20. Anthony Le Tallec (87, Diouf) 21. Djimi Traore 28. Bruno Cheyrou (82, Smicer) 29. Patrice Luzi Bernardi

Bookings:Yeovil: None Liverpool: Smicer (12, unsporting behaviour), Diouf (40, unsporting behaviour), Le Tallec (88, dissent)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England internationals Emile Heskey and Danny Murphy spared Liverpool's blushes with two late goals to end Yeovil's determined FA Cup challenge.

Heskey came off the bench to break the deadlock 20 minutes from time, firing low into the far corner after a neat build-up.

Murphy's penalty made sure of victory after Hugo Rodrigues was harshly adjudged to have fouled Harry Kewell.

Yeovil had dominated the first half and had chances to lead, but Liverpool grew stronger as the game wore on.

Yeovil boss Gary Johnson had spent most of the week in training telling his side to believe that playing Liverpool was just like playing any side in Division Three.

And Gerard Houllier's side did their best to prove that theory correct.

For 45 minutes, Yeovil took the game to Liverpool and what little chances were created went the way of the home side.

Jerzy Dudek was forced to fist clear from a Nick Crittenden free-kick before producing a stunning one-handed save to keep out Darren Williams' stinging drive.

And Darren Way's hooked volley over the crossbar followed a fine exchange of passes in a flowing build-up of one-touch football from the home team.

A touch of class from the side supposedly a class below.

Liverpool's chances were embarrassingly rare and it took Gerard Houllier's side 51 minutes to even force a corner.

El-Hadji Diouf shot wide just before half-time after Vladimir Smicer had found room to run into down the Liverpool right and cut the ball back.

Diouf's frustration and desperation to force an opening earned him a first-half booking for a clear dive in the Yeovil penalty area.

But Yeovil could have exacted a more telling punishment as they started the second half the way they had begun the first.

Liverpool, apparently unaffected by any half-time criticism from Houllier, remained ponderous as Yeovil snapped and challenge down the left.

And when a low cross fell to the feet of Nick Gall, it took a last-ditch challenge from Smicer to deny the striker an opening goal.

That finally signalled a response from the visitors and Smicer was unlucky to see a scuffed shot bounce back off a post with goalkeeper Chris Weale beaten midway through the second half.

But Heskey, a second-half replacement for Florent Sinama Pongolle, ensured there was to be no shock this time for a club that claimed 20 league scalps in the FA Cup during their non-league days.

It took an incisive combination of passing to open the home side up, Murphy and Kewell setting Heskey up for a neat finish.

Seven minutes later, Kewell fell under an innocuous challenge from giant defender Rodriguez and Murphy made sure of Liverpool's safe passage with an unstoppable penalty.

After the match Liverpool Manager Gerard Houllier breathed a huge sigh of relief:

"We have to acknowledge that Yeovil had a very good game," said Houllier.

"Some were probably expecting an upset and Gary Johnson's men fought very hard and made it very difficult for us. But I think my boys were magnificent today, in these games attitude and commitment are assets.

"It's important because, even though we are missing some players, the spirit is so good in the team."

johnson-gary2-small.jpgManager Gary Johnson's Verdict :

"I’m not really unprofessional enough to think there was a shock on the cards, but we were obviously very happy at half-time that we’d stayed well in the game.

"We'd created a few chances ourselves and our shape was looking quite strong. We got through a few times, Gerard’s team got through a few times, and at half-time I think we knew that if we went out and produced the same then the game would be close. But we came out and for 20 minutes they showed their Premiership quality in not giving the ball away.

"We had a couple of enforced changes, substitutions that didn’t quite help us, but that 20 minutes you can't give Liverpool that amount of time on the ball coming up to your final third because they’ve got clever enough players to slide people in and a little trick and a penalty, all those sorts of things, and unfortunately we gave them too much time on the edge of our penalty box and when we recovered it was too late - then they were 2-0 up.

"I’m obviously very proud that our football club has staged this event and I hope Gerard and his team are happy with the way they have been received. But I’m also proud of the boys because they showed for part of the game they can compete at this level, and I think that some of them proved they might be able to compete up a level or two.

But one of disappointment because every football match you try and win and we got beaten today, and all I say is credit to Liverpool. They came down and had a great attitude - you can see that - and ended up winning the game. And I can only say good luck in the next round and I was hoping to say you can concentrate on the league but it's got to be us.

"I didn't really see the penalty. To be fair the amount of times they were coming in to that area anything could have happened; and ok if it was 10-20 yards up the pitch but they were getting to the edge of that penalty area quite often during that 20 minute spell and at that point I stopped enjoying it.

"We just had to try and get the game. At 2-0 we moved it up the field a little bit more but Liverpool won the game, and I’m just glad we were part of a great football match and we didn’t just turn up to watch Liverpool play for 90 minutes. We made Liverpool earn their victory."

Match Build-Up Images

Courtesy of Ciderspace.co.uk

Click for Spoiler:

crowd2-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

crowd4-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

crowd10-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

crowd11-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

players1-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

ground2-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

crowd14-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

players2-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

players5-04-jan-2004.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

liverpool10-04-jan-2004.jpg

It was a good game Yeovil played well and Liverpool's 1st goal was good play as usual they have to fake a penalty to finish the game off,by the way I hate Liverpool :cloud9: I'm a big Man Utd fan a far better team :cloud9: