Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Kes's depature and Seven's arrival.

How did you feel about Kes's departure and the arrival of Seven of Nine?

"Scorpion" - Season 3 finale, where Voyager arrives at Borg.

"Scorpion, Part II" - Season 4 premiere, where the Borg character, Seven of Nine, is introduced. Kes's powers continue to advance due to hyper-stimulation from telepathic contact with Species 8472.

"The Gift" - Seven's human imune system begins to reject the Borg technology as Kes begins to evolve into something that could kill her or allow her to transform into something more than she is.

"Fury" - Kes returns, tormented by what she found after her transformation (she ever said what that was), so tries to destroy Voyager in the past while taking her past self home.

What did you think of the arival of Seven of Nine, Kes's transformation, and the return of a bitter, older Kes? Personally, I think it was well done, but would like to read your thoughts before posting my own.

I wasn't displeased with it. I really liked how Seven came onto the show. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Kes departure. I did like how it wasn't some quick surprise death. It makes her departure special when compared to say Tasha or Data. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the crew never reminisced about her later in the future. It was like they completely forgot about her. When the timeline was altered by Kes and Captain Janeway expected her return in Fury even Janeway herself forgot she would be returning. It just didn't seem like Captain Janeway. She was always the one who gets attached; hence, endgame.

I liked how they got seven on the show and how kes left but fury is a different story. I thought that show was very bad. I would have loved to see kes coming back to help the crew not kill them it just did not make much sence and I would have loved to see more nelix and kes at the end. I was just highly dissapointed in fury but the others were really good.

I understand what you mean about Fury. I enjoyed the episode but I think they should have remained true to the character of Kes. It did however have a good message. It showed how loved ones can become hateful without good cause and if we remind them that they are loved and remind them about who they once were they can redeem themselves.

I was glad about the introduction of Seven, indifferent about Kes's departure (never cared much for the character, though she got better towards the end), and didn't like "Fury" all that much. The ep just seemed kind of pointless to me, and I didn't like the complete turnaround in Kes's personality and character. It also seemed a little too compressed imho- like it should've been a 2-parter. Overall, though, I'd say the situation was handled well. B)

Personally I never thought the character of Kes was a good character. The life span was far too short for them to make her a regular. I liked the actress, I thought she was cute but I wasn't displeased when they removed the character from the show. Kes just didn't fit into the Star Trek universe of characters IMO. I thought Seven fit in very well on the other hand.

I hoped they would have kept Kes, but like most shows, usually a character or two leaves before the series finale. I was so excited about "Fury" becuase I had waited 3 years for her to return to the show! So, even if it wasn't done well, which I believe it was, I would have enjoyed seeing Kes once more.

To those who say she was out of character, consider this: Ocampans, Kes's species, live 8 or 9 years. Kes spent 3 years on Voyager, a third of her life. Then she left Voyager and returned 3 years later. Look how much she changed on the show. Of coarse she's gonna change for better or worse.

I only saw Fury the night it aired so I don't remember a whole lot about it, what I do remember is that I didn't care for it. Kes was totally out of character in that episode. I'll have to get that episode and watch it again though to be sure my memory of the episode is correct.

Most people I know who didn't like the episode only dislike it becuase she's "out of character". As I said, her species only lives 8 or 9 years. 3 years for Kes would be like 30 years for us in proportion to our life-span. With that said, those 3 years Kes had spent away from Voyager explorring herself could have changed her for better or worse. So, in my opinion, giving what had happened to her, she was very much in character.

I enjoyed both episodes pertaining to Seven's arrival. Kes was not a favorite character of mine. But she was very intersting. Regarding her departutre, I thought it was handled very tastefully. However, the return, in my opinion did not make much sense.

I feel and don't get me wrong, Jennifer Lien was a good actress, but she never really hit the mark for interesting and emotive acting. I never was interested in her development.

Seven was interesting, it was like a play on how the human psyche is affected by environment. I like things that over the long haul answers the nature/nurture debate from a imagination viewpoint!

I was never really sure about Kes, and as I watched the show out of order, I was more used to Seven by the time she was introduced to me. "Fury", I thought, was a great episode. Yes, she was totally out of character (even after 30 years of not seeing someone, would you really return with that much of a vengeance?), but it was at least slightly believable, and I loved the way it played out.

Edited by chocho_11