Sign in to follow this  
master_q

What is "Aha"?

Here's a blast from the past. I originally posted this @ StarTrek.com:

You are probably looking in question at the title of this topic.

I was reading up on some mathematics history in ancient times and specifically at the Egyptians. It is amazing what they accomplished.

Understanding of algebra goes back very far. In AD 825 al-Khowarizimi of Bagdad was the first to write an algebra text book. Civilizations like the Babylonians, Hindus, Egyptians, and others studied alg & trig.

The Egyptians mainly focused on linear equations . . .

(Linear equations are first degree polynomials in standard form its ax+by=c and graphically many times written as y=mx+b )

On an Egyptian papyrus that is called the Rhind Papyrus [named after the person that found it] it had some basic linear algebra on it. There unknown variable or which we usually label "x" was called "aha."

The first problem on there was: x + (x / 7) = 19

So on it said "Aha, its whole, its seventh, it makes 19."

Instead of me just answering what "aha" equals I let someone else.

So the first person to solve the Egyptian problem is the winner of pride! And I'll tell if you got it correct or not.

It's an interesting thing to look into. Looking at the past math and seeing it evolve and develop gives you a good apprehension/understanding for math and for old civilizations

Can you solve for "aha"?

- I posted that about a year ago @ StarTrek.Com.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Edited by master_q

How about...

Click for Spoiler:

It is interesting to see how math has "evolved" over the ages. It really is amazing how the old mathematicians figured out all of the things we take for granted today.