Sign in to follow this  
Vic

#TrekDiscovery Challenge Underway at Comic-Con

thumb_a71e3a1d86ccfc9634e2bc94fc9124a261

The #TrekDiscovery Challenge got underway on Friday at SDCC with an early morning gathering of Star Trek crews in front of the Star Trek: Discovery Gallery. 

Roaming the streets in and around Comic-Con on Friday and Saturday are five Star Trek crews: 

#TheOriginalSeries

Insert-TOS.jpg

#TheNextGeneration

Insert-TNG.jpg

#DeepSpaceNine

Insert-DS91.jpg

#Voyager

Insert-VOY.jpg

#Enterprise

Insert-ENT.jpg

Among the characters out and about: an Orion female, a Klingon, a Ferengi, a Borg and an Andorian. Those in costume included included two Star Trek superfans/cosplayers beamed in especially for the occasion.

Borg20.jpg

Christopher Smith came in from New York with his elaborate Borg costume. He started worked on it in 2013, creating it out of children's toys, car conduit wires and PVC pipe used for duct work. "I began going to conventions when I was 6, but I didn't actually start cosplaying until five years later," Smith told StarTrek.com. "I saw people do it, and I felt it was something I had the ability to do. So I wanted to push myself. It's added a new layer to my convention experiences as well. I get a kick out of it, and my fellow fans get a kick out of it, too, which makes it even more fun."

Klingon18.jpg

And then there's Dennis Hanon, or, rather the warrior Klingon, Fleet Admiral K'Han den. Hanon, a local who lives in San Diego, has been cosplaying for 30 years. "This costume has gone through elaborate changes over the years," he told us. "It was initially the original style that the grunts wore, and it had a zip-up in the back. So it was difficult to get in and out of. The command style zips up the front; much easier to work with. And it's good that it's the command uniform, since I run a group."

#TrekDiscovery Challenge

The gallery will again be in the spotlight today and tomorrow as fans can take the #TrekDiscovery Challenge for a chance to win great prizes. Here's how:

• In and around SDCC, fans will encounter an array of authentically costumed Trek crews from five of the series (The Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise).
  • Fans who post photos of themselves with each of the five series’ crews - and also in the U.S.S. Discovery captain’s chair at the Michael J. Wolf Fine Arts Gallery - and who tag all six photos with the #TrekDiscovery challenge hashtag on Twitter or Instagram, will be eligible to win a Roku streaming stick and a subscription to CBS All Access.
  • Prizes will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Fans can find clues regarding the location of the #TrekDiscovery crews by following @StarTrek on Twitter and Instagram.

The gallery is located at 363 Fifth Avenue and will be open Friday and Saturday from 11:00am to 9:00pm and Sunday from 11:00am to 5:00pm.

Star Trek: Discovery Pedicabs

Pedicab.jpg

All along Fifth Avenue and the other streets in the Gaslamp District, SDCC attendees have been boldly going in style... aboard Star Trek: Discovery pedicabs. Inspired by the design of the U.S.S. Discovery’s captain’s chair, the pedicabs feature the series’ chair’s distinctive stitched black seats as well as video monitors built into its arm rests which, in this case, screen trailers for the new show. As an added touch, each pedicab displays an illuminated delta shield on the back.

View the full article