Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Starship Lineage

Here, I'd like to dicuss Starship lineage for Starfleet ships.

To start us off, here's a theory of mine. The Miranda-class replace the Constitution-class, not the Excelsior-class. The Excelsior-class, at the time, are a "new design", with the "configuration" of the Consitution-class. However, since the Miranda-class is still in use, I'd like to think of it as a "condensed" form of the Constitution-class.

Furthermore, when I new ship design comes out, I don't neccessarilly view it as a "replacement design", but rather something new.

Here's a few ship designs where I think a new class would replace an old one.

Constitution --> Miranda (condensed )

Constellation --> Prometheus

Ambassador --> Galaxy (After the Galaxy-class came out, the Ambassador-class seemed to be seen very little, leaving me to conclude that it was more a replacement class than just a new design of ship.)

Also, anyone else think the Soveriegn and Intrepid-class are counterparts in design, in the sense of one ship gets larger, longer missions, while the smaller gets smaller, shorter missions?

the Soveriegn and Intrepid class designs would have come about from the same advances in space frame design.

why could the Miranda class not have been commitioned at the same time as the Constitution class and the one we see is a refit miranda. as the Enterprise A is a Refit Constitution class. you can see that the Galaxy can trace it's line back to the constitution as the Nebula can to the Miranda.

as to what replaces what in the line you can see that with the Enterprise lineage

here is a link to a site with one posible Idea about lineage.

Daystrom Institute Technical Library

That's an interresting post, but answer me this. If Nebula-class replaces Miranda-class, why do they still use Miranda-class ships?

I guess there is some lineage, but I don't think new classes replace older classes since the older class ships stay in service, and sometimes stay in production.