Sign in to follow this  
cptwright

any hunters on the boards?

well i just finished my hunters saftey course last weekend and got my license deer season opens up on mondy, and ill be out bright and early. anyone here like hunting, or at least enjoy venison?

I used to go hunting with my father as a boy.We usually went out for rabbits.I love rabbit.It makes great barbecue. :)

When I was young and during the time we lived in Montana (Libby) hunting and racing were my dads two favorite things to do. We went hunting every year and not just for venison, we also hunted (and ate) elk, bear and (once) moose. Moose is gross but I did like bear and elk. I remember at the time, I thought venison was better than beef. I wonder if given a chance to eat it again today if I would still think that...

Good luck in the hunt and remember: safety first. Let us know how the hunt went.

I've never hunted,I've only gone fishing a time or two.

But there's a cafe close to campus where they sell buffalo burgers,and all sorts of buffalo dishes.At first I didn't think I woud like it,but its awesome.I'm going to miss it once I head back home.

I went through hunters safety back in the mid 80's and got my license but never did get around to going hunting. Now with bad knees that are affected by the cold I doubt I'll ever go.

My father was a hunter, and I've had venison quite a few times. I loved the way he made venison jerky! I've also had moose - lots & lots of moose. It tastes just like it looks, but it's not too bad (or as bad) if it's marinated in burgandy for a few hours. Since we lived within easy driving distance from the coast (CA), we had lots of abalone, too.

I LOVE VENISON JERKY. thats one thing im really looking forward to if i actually get something. went out for a couple of hours before school on opening day, the only thing i saw was a squirrel coming up to my leggs. not quite worthy of eating im sure. lol.

well i just finished my hunters saftey course last weekend and got my license deer season opens up on mondy, and ill be out bright and early. anyone here like hunting, or at least enjoy venison?

Hi there :clap:

As a child, I used to go out hunting with Dad. He used to take me out to the back of our property (or 'out the back' as we called it) which was mainly bushland. He mainly hunted for rabbits but sometimes kangaroos. He also thought it was funny to chase emus on the motorbike. The emus would always outrun the motorbike. We never hunted emus though, they were too quick. I have never tasted emu either, although it can be eaten and is sold in some supermarkets over here.

I like venison, I first tried it about ten years ago. It has an unusual flavor but I quite enjoyed it when I first tried it, even though other people told me it had an acquired taste. I found it tasted better and better every time I ate venison. I have had it in all sorts of forms - roasted, in stews, with curry and rice.........My Mum didn't really like the flavor so she tried several recipes that disguised the taste. I have tried rabbit too, my Mum tried cooking some in a casserole once. It was okay but not as good as venison or kangaroo. Kangaroo tail stew is fantastic, especially with potatoes.

Apart from venison, rabbit and kangaroo, the only other 'game' animal I have eaten is goat. It is very similar to lamb, with about half the fat. My Mum often roasted a leg of goat instead of lamb and always told me it was lamb.

Linda

I've never hunted,I've only gone fishing a time or two.

But there's a cafe close to campus where they sell buffalo burgers,and all sorts of buffalo dishes.At first I didn't think I woud like it,but its awesome.I'm going to miss it once I head back home.

I love fishing! I think I was about four when I caught my first fish. I come from a family that loves fishing, especially my brother and my Dad. As a child, we were always out in the boat on weekends fishing and sometimes after school aswell. I even used pieces of cheese as bait to catch fish!! Amazingly, it actually worked, well to catch small fish anyway. Bigger fish were easier to catch with other types of bait (like pieces of fish) or lures.

I have never tasted buffalo. What does that taste like?? I have tasted venison (yum!), rabbit, kangaroo and goat. Emu is sold over here too, at some supermarkets but I haven't tried that yet. Oh yeah and I saw ox tongue in the supermarket recently too, it sort of resembled liver - yuck!

Linda

So what other animals can you hunt in the US besides deer?? Here in Australia, deer are farmed, they are not wild like they are in America. Some friends of my parents own a farm with about two hundred deer. My parents get venison from their friends. I ate venison a lot when I lived at home but now that I live away from home, I haven't had it for a while.

Usually its only kangaroos and rabbits that are hunted over here. My Dad occasionally still hunts kangaroos but not as much as he did when I was younger. I can still remember the kangaroos coming within a few metres of the house. There seemed to be more of them back then (over twenty years ago now). My parents have lots of rabbits living around their house. The cat used to catch baby rabbits sometimes and eat them.

This is an interesting thread because I have many hunting stories to share,

Linda

im not sure of everything we hunt but i know theres bear, turkey, elk, deer, coyote, my friends kid hunts squirrel, and eats it a lot, ech, rabbit, various birds, and so on im sure.