Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

The Alternate Futures

I was thinking about this recently (boy, a lot of my posts start like that). Anyway have you noticed that in some instances when an alternate futures are seen deaths are prevented but others caused.

Here are the best examples:

ALL GOOD THINGS- Troi is dead by 2395 and Data is alive but in the real timeline Data is dead and Troi alive

THE VISITOR- in the future created by Sisko's death Dax is alive but when Sisko lives Dax dies.

I just find this interesting because it sort of gives you a choice. Like would you rather have Dax live and Sisko die or Sisko live and Dax die. It seems both alive is impossible so one has to. Can you guys think of other examples?

I think it's just a coincidence that one lives and one dies in one timeline, while the reverse happens in an alternate timeline.

Take "Before and After" from VOY's 3rd season for example. In one future, Kes lived to die of old age, Voyager was still in the Delta Quadrant, Janeway and B'Elanna were dead, Chakotay was Captain, Tom & Kes married, Harry married Kes's daughter, and so forth. Very dramatic compared to the timeline that unfolded after Kes time jumped to the past, eh?