Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

The VOY companion

I recently bought the TNG, DS9 and VOY companion. The TNG and DS9 have a humorus narrator, and as well as episode synopsis's, has incredible behind-the-scenes infomation for every episode, what the cast and crew felt during the series (e.g. that Quark worried that he would be fired after Emissary) , what was a success what wasn't etc. And other titbits (the evolution of Rom is one of my favorites so far). They also go into great depth about what happened between the seasons (for instance, that Troi and Tasha Yar originaly read for each others part and were later swapped by Gene Roddenbury is quite interesting). TNG has copies of the original casting advertisements ('Leslie Crusher') and a history of how Star Trek: The New Generation (the original name) came into being. DS9 has some never-before-seen illustrations (e.g. one of the first designs of the Bajoran sub-light resistance fighters. It didn't get made but inspired the design for the Defiant) and they all include some of the bloopers and jokes that happened.

While VOY is boring and tedius. The tone of the book is of an encyclopedia and it merely extensively details the episode plotline and then includes every fact about Voyager, the amount of shuttles, the Delta Quadrant etc that the episode mentions and often repeats itself. While this is interesting, THIS IS IT! There is nothing new in this book, no interesting facts about what the writers felt about the episodes ('A bit of fluff' Rivals DS9 comp.), nothing. Its adequate for fact-finding but that's all. Nowhere as good as the TNG or DS9 companion. The only decent parts are the (far too short) extracts from the first ideas of the characters. The single page given for each charcter is mere quotes from previous interviews and a sentance of the narrators opinion. Tripe.

It's worth getting as the only official book about the Voyager series in its entirety. But only just.

:)

Its adequate for fact-finding but that's all.

That's all I use mine for and it only barly accomplishes that task thanks to it's crappy index. If you don't know what episode the info you're looking for is in then you're out of luck. :)

Yea I checked the book out from my local library and was expecting some great behind the secens stuff but no they only had a tid bit at the end of some of the shows not even all of them I was so glad that I did not buy it.

Yea I checked the book out from my local library and was expecting some great behind the secens stuff but no they only had a tid bit at the end of some of the shows not even all of them I was so glad that I did not buy it.

Hi there :blink:

I went out and bought The Voyager Companion shortly after it came out. I have to disagree with everyone else in this thread and say that its a great reference book to have. I thought there was an adequate amount of behind the scenes stuff included it this book and its good for looking up particular episodes aswell. I'm glad I made the purchase, even though at the time, I had only just started watching Voyager (and Star Trek for that matter)

Linda

I thought there was an adequate amount of behind the scenes stuff included it this book

Where???

I can't find ANYTHING! Also, on a side note, I wish they hadn't put 'that' doctored image on the front cover. A simple cast photo, a la TNG, would have sufficed.

The image BTW is a twentieth century bridge in the foreground with Voyager flying verticaly above it. Oh and there are some cut-and-pasted fireworks in the sky. Just really annoyed me. :blink:

I have looked at the reviews at online bookstores and there seem to be many high opinions of the book, but I haven't been able to snag a copy yet. However, I have seen Voyager technical manuals at Ebay.

The reviews I have just finished reading almost all say that there is little or no behind the scenes info, so all should be forewarned.