Sign in to follow this  
mr_tinkles

Mission to Horatious

I was browsing around in a book store early today and I saw a TOS novel (paperback) called "Mission to Horatious".It kind of looked like an older book.Like the ones produced in the early to mid 1970's.

The book cost $16.95 :huh:

What's the deal with that?Does anyone here have that book?Did you pay that much for it?

How do they justify the price?

Needless to say,I didn't buy it.

Edited by mr_tinkles

I bought "Mission to Horatius" last year.It cost me $23.50 :huh:

(what can I say?I needed it.It was TOS,afterall)

Its not a good story,Mr.Tinkles.Not at all.The plot is lame,the pace of the story plodding,and at times directionless.

I'd advise you to not buy the book,unless of course,you are an avid collector of Trek novels like I am.I have no idea why the paperback costs so much.Though I understand that you can find copies for as little as $5 now at sites like E-bay,and overstock.com.Look around and I'm sure you'll find a cheaper version.My copy is hardcover.

Click For Spoiler
horatius.jpg

There are currently 3 listed on E-bay with opening bids ranging from $3 to $7. None have any bids, and they are all hardback editions.

I own the book... It was a bit cheap for me since they marked down the price where I was...

And I also enjoyed this book, and finished it in a short range of time.

It's a book published in 1968, and written by the author of Mack Reynolds.

I own another book by him called: Commune 2000 A.D., but I have yet to read it...

lastresort.jpg42.gif

post-812-1093314978.jpg

I have the original hardcover version of "Mission To Horatius". The reason that it costs so much is that it was the first Trek novel ever published. An original copy is pretty rare so if you see it, pick it up.

There were Trek books before that but they were just the TV episodes in written form.

There were Trek books before that but they were just the TV episodes in written form.

343722[/snapback]

Actually, no -- Mission to Horatius was published before the James Blish books that novelized the TV episodes. It really was the first Star Trek book. :cheers:

343722[/snapback]

Actually, no -- Mission to Horatius was published before the James Blish books that novelized the TV episodes. It really was the first Star Trek book. :)

343885[/snapback]

I stand corrected. I wish my copy was in better shape though. I've had it since I was about 11 years old!