Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

I am really glad that DS9 was set on

After reading the A-Z of Science Fiction: Revised!, I was surprised to see that after giving Star Trek, TNG and VOY glowing reports, the writer assumed a condescending and almost insulting tone to DS9. Words such as 'dark horse' and 'error' strated cropping up all over the place. Why? After all, DS9 isn't poor in episode quality.

The author's misgivings stemmed from the fact that DS9 wasn't set on a clean spaceship, exploring the great unknown. The writer obviously thought that Star Trek is all about 'boldly going where none have gone before'. After all, it has been a very sucessful premise.

The author clearly saw DS9 as an enthusiastic blunder, an almost-embarassment. Something that should be noted as 'What Not To Do', with VOY (an ENT) being a return to form for Star Trek. In fact he said something like 'After the debacle of DS9, Voyager looks like a welcome return for the Star Trek series.'

Lets briefly compare the ST series and their basic premise:

Star Trek ~ Exploring the galaxy in a Spaceship

Star Trek: TNG ~ Exploring the galaxy in a Spaceship (difference: set 70+ years from the original)

Star Trek: DS9 ~ Rebuilding on a Spacestation (difference: everything but the most fundemental things e.g. it includes Star Fleet)

Star Trek: VOY ~ Exploring the galaxy in a Spaceship (difference: set in the other side of the galxay)

ENT: Exploring the galaxy in a Spaceship (difference: set in the past)

With these preconceptions, these facts and the that DS9 was not recieved with nearly the same approval as TNG or VOY by most, It looks very unlikely that, if a new Star Trek series is made, it will be set anywhere different then in a exploring the galaxy in a Spaceship design.

With this in mind, I think that it is very important to recognize Star Trek: Deep Space 9 for its uniqueness and differences, and for its ability to show that Trek, very good Trek, can be done without the confines of a Starship.

Deep Space Nine "Boldly went",into the Gamma Quadrant and many other places (The Celestial Temple,time travel,the Mirror universe,etc).I'd say that writer was off his gourd.In my opinion DS9 was arguably the best of all the Star Trek series.The very fact that it was not set primarily on a starship is what made it fresh and exciting.

I've posted at a handful of other sci-fi forums and whenever DS9 comes up,I am always surprised at the numbers of people that either didn't like,or outright hated that series.I can't understand it. :lol:

I totally agree. However, if we get another space-station series, or one set on a planet, then they should have a small Defiant-like ship like the producers of DS9 realised was needed so the characters could "go somewhere" every now and then. :lol:

I have to admit, that of all the series, for some reason I didn't watch this as much. I think it just had a really inconvenient time slot, for my schedule anyway. Lord knows I could have set the VCR. But when I did get a chance to watch it, I liked every episode I saw. I thought that the concept of setting it on a space station was brilliant. There was a wonderful ensemble of characters from all different species. The author of that A-Z of Science Fiction was high when he did his report on Deep Space Nine. It was nice to branch off to something the same, but different.

Even thought they were on a space station it didn't make a difference after they got the Defiant. In the other Star Treks, the plot is completely contained within the ship. Then there are out of ship epidoes. With the Defiant, DS9 could acheive both easily. So I don't think it made much difference. Even by shuttle, there was lots to explore in the area (being a volitile region on Space with the Cardies) and especially with the wormhole. Being on a space station didn't limit the stories that could be told at all.

I wonder what the author said about babalon 5 I liked that show as much as ds9 they both had great plots and things that you would never see on a show with just a starship.

I wonder what the author said about babalon 5 I liked that show as much as ds9 they both had great plots and things that you would never see on a show with just a starship.

Babylong 5 was an awesome show.My favorite sci-fi after Star Trek,in fact.

I'll go with the flow,and agree that the author of the book was wrong.DS9 had a super cast of regulars,great guest stars,and terrific writing.Even before the Defiant showed up,they managed to do a lot with the Runabouts (but,man,they sure lost a lot of them!).

Babylong 5 was an awesome show.My favorite sci-fi after Star Trek,in fact.

I'll go with the flow,and agree that the author of the book was wrong.DS9 had a super cast of regulars,great guest stars,and terrific writing.Even before the Defiant showed up,they managed to do a lot with the Runabouts (but,man,they sure lost a lot of them!).

I agree the reason I liked DS9 is because it was on a Space Station and was different. It was also more gritty and realistic in my opinion.

I don't really have much more to add to the pro-Deep Space Nine sentiment here.It was an awesome show.The fact that it was set on a space station just gave the writers so many more avenues to pursue storywise,than they had ever had before.

I enjoyed the shows on the station,and off.It never really mattered to me one way or the other.As long as the story was well written,I was a happy trekker.