Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

String Theory

I tried to set my VCR up to tape it. The first time my VCR's clock was set to am rather than pm so I missed it. The second time it aired by VCR was set up perfectly, but sometimes it just doesn't work right so I missed it again. I noticed part way thru that it wasn't recording so I pressed record myself. I caught the last half hour. Very informative. I know lots about phsyics theories, but I never did understand String Theory. GREAT SHOW.

I guess Kes was seeing strings when she looked beyond the sub atomic!

Yes I did watch that show. Very interesting, but a lot of graphics and sound efffects and not too much information. Problem is, you put too much info in a show and people's heads start hurting.

About String Theory itself, it is quite interesting but still has quite a many kinks and the theorists who work on it "know it is right" and "it is the truth" - that kind of attitude of sureness before a single experiment just bugs me.

That NOVA episode on string theory was real good. These strings move multi-dimensionally in more than 4 ways. I also taped it for future reference.

:dude: :) :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::dude::dude:

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

The skin parted to reveal a mass of whirring wheels, pinions, governors, coils and springs. An intricate system of cogs and gears spinning in perpetual motion.-"Doctor Who: Anachrophobia" written by Jonathan Morris

Thank you Alterego for the info!

As I had just posted in the "The Fabric of the Cosmos" thread here, I have you to partially thank as well for helping me find out what the name of the special was, and who Brian Green was. It played late one night here, and at the end, they didn't say what the name of the special was, or who the author was. When I read this thread a few days ago, and the aforementioned thread in this post, I went to PBS's site, ordered the NOVA episodes of "The Elegant Universe", and went to the bookstore the next day and bought not only the book, but Brian Greene's latest one, "The Fabric of the Cosmos".

The NOVA specials are great, and Greene does well to explain how string theory came about, it's history, so on and so forth. But the book (though I have just begun to read it) is already EXTREMELY interesting.

Again, thanks for the post Alterego, it is much appreciated!