Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Registry Numbers - Sequential?

Are the registry numbers of Starfleet ships sequential? I think so.

I will provide the year, ship name, registry number, and ship class for a few examples.

2151 - NX-01 Enterprise NX-class

2245 - U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 Constitution-class

2285 - U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1864 Miranda-class (first sceen)

2285 - U.S.S. Excelsior NX-2000 Exceslior-class

2285 - U.S.S. Grissom NCC-638 Orbeth-class (first time we saw one, from it's small size, I'd assume it was an older design as the registry would suggest)

2371 - U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205 Defiant-clas

2371 - U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656 Intrepid-class

Please, if you feel the numbers are or are not sequential, share your thoughts and why you think so. :lol:

What about the Prometheus? NX-59650, first seen in 2374 despite the fact that there was an earlier Prometheus, Nebula Class in 2370 and it was NCC-71201.

I think in general they are meant to be sequential but it really does pan out in the writing and design.

The numbers could be sequential, I see no reason they wouldn't be but I know they were arbitrarily picked, at least in the beginning anyway.

VBG, you are correct. Back in the days of TOS, the numbers were at random, but by the time of the movies, they decided to make them sequential. As for the Orbeth-class, I've allways assumed it was much older than the Constitution-class.

What about the Prometheus? NX-59650, first seen in 2374 despite the fact that there was an earlier Prometheus, Nebula Class in 2370 and it was NCC-71201.

I think in general they are meant to be sequential but it really does pan out in the writing and design.

One could assume that the Nebula-class Prometheus was destroyed. As for the U.S.S. Prometheus NX-59650? We could assume it's an older ship which has been experrimental for quite some time and has yet to go into production. It's new look could be explained by a complete overhaul and almost complete redesign, short of building a new ship.

The real world explanation is that the ship was suppose to have a registry number of NX-74913, but the art department goofed. Since NX-59650 is what we see on the hull very clearly, that became the official registry.