Sign in to follow this  
APW

A Tribute To The Cardinals

The Cardinals were founded in 1898 and were a charter member of the National Football League.They hold the distinction of being the oldest continuously run professional football franchise in the United States.The team boasts a colorful history.Its fans have known the club as the Arizona Cardinals,the Phoenix Cardinals,St.louis Cardinals,Chicago Cardinals,the Normals,and the Morgan Athletic Club.

Franchise granted:17th,September,1920 as the Chicago Cardinals.

First NFL season:1920 (NFL's first season)

Moved to St.Louis:1960

Moved to Phoenix,AZ:1988

Stadium:Sun Devil Stadium,capacity 73,521

Retired Uniform Numbers:#8 Larry Wilson,#77 Stan Mauldin,#88 J.V. Cain,#99 Marshall Goldberg

Hall Of Famers:Charles Bidwill,Jimmy Conzelman,Dan Dierdorf,Paddy Driscoll,(Please stop me from cursing) "Night Train" Lane,Ollie Matson,Ernie Nevers,Jackie Smith,Charley Trippi,and Larry Wilson

Most lopsided Victory:The Chicago Cardinals beat the Rochester Jeffersons 60-0,on 7th,October,1923.

Jim Bakken,the Cardinals all-time leading scorer

Click for Spoiler:

bakken.jpg

Otis Anderson,the Cardinals all-time leading rusher

Click for Spoiler:

anderson.jpg

Coach Don Coryell 1973-77

Click for Spoiler:

coryell.jpg

NFL Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf St.louis Cardinals 1971-83

Click for Spoiler:

dierdorf.jpg

(Please stop me from cursing) "Night Train" Lane

Click for Spoiler:

lane.jpg

Jackie Smith St.Louis Cardinals 1962-77

Click for Spoiler:

smith_jackie.jpg

The Cardinals Fight Song!

Edited by admiralpeewee

Great tribute peewee.

Hope you don't mind if this Cardinal adds a few items.

ARIZONA CARDINALS FIGHT SONG LYRICS

"The Cardinals are charging

Let's cheer them on their way!

Let's shout with all our might,

we'll show 'em how a team can fight,

for Victory and Glory!

"We'll make our joy supreme,

The Pride of Arizona,

our Arizona Cardinal team!"

CHICAGO/ST.LOUIS CARDINALS FIGHT SONG LYRICS

"It's in the cards to win

Get ready to cheer when they begin.

Watch how the red team goes

just give it a sign to breakup the line of foes.

Fight for the right to score,

let's roll up a lead and then go out for more.

It's in the cards to win

get ready to cheer,let's go!"

:lol:

Of course I don't mind,Big Red.Thanks for adding the lyrics.

I'll just point out one thing though,the first set of lyrics were for both the St.Louis and Arizona Card's.When the franchise moved to Phoenix,they substituted "...the Pride of St.Louis,and,...our St.Louis Cardinal team" for first Phoenix,and then Arizona.

The second set of lyrics were only used by the Chicago Cardinals.

I wanted to set up a link to a version of the fight song with singing,but I was having some troubles establishing the link,so I just went with the music without the singing.

I hope we kick the stink off the Bengals this Sunday,but I'm worried.John Kitna's been on fire lately,and P Dub has been making-believe he's an all-pro receiver :lol: .Corey Dillon is also emerging as a threat.I'm praying Marcel Shipp has a big game,and Jeff Blake can maneuver around Cincinnati's excellent pass defense,and hook up with Anquan or another body for a couple of touches...and I hope it don't come down to a field goal.I have no faith in Tim Duncan's leg.Not even after last week.That kicker is a major disappointment waiting to happen.

Retired Uniform Numbers:#8 Larry Wilson,#77 Stan Mauldin,#88 J.V. Cain,#99 Marshall Goldberg

Hall Of Famers:Charles Bidwill,Jimmy Conzelman,Dan Dierdorf,Paddy Driscoll,(Please stop me from cursing) "Night Train" Lane,Ollie Matson,Ernie Nevers,Jackie Smith,Charley Trippi,and Larry Wilson

Explain something to me please: Of the four players who have had their number retired, how come only one of them is among the 10 Hall of Famers?

Wasn't J.V. Cain the guy who died during training camp? Why on earth would they retire his number? Just because he died?

Okay,I checked.

Tight End J.V. Cain suffered a fatal heart attack during training camp in the spring/summer of 1979.The St.Louis Cardinals retired his jersey to honor his memory.

As for the non Hall of Fame Cardinals with retired jerseys,they all had spectacular careers but the Cardinals have not won a championship since 1947,and I think the poor performances by their teams did not reflect well on them when it came time to induct new H.O.F. members.

Edited by admiralpeewee

But why did they NOT retire the numbers of the guys who did make it into the Hall of Fame? It almost seems like there is a disconnect between who the team considers great and who the NFL considers great.

Cards Win!!!

Cardinals 17 Bengals 14

:grin:

Edited by admiralpeewee

Cards Win!!!

Cardinals 17 Bengals 14

:grin:

Congratulations.Coach Mac must have lit a fire under some $#@! during the bye-week.Two wins in a row.

Better buy a box of kleanex for next week.Pittsburgh's playing Arizona.Your boys in red won't beat Pittsburgh. ;)

(but then again,I told you your boys wouldn't beat Cincy,didn't I?)

Yo,Peewee,man,we did it.Slapped the stripes right off of them Bengals and sent 'em home crying.Hahahah :P .Hey,it was a little scary there for a while,though,dog.I was doing some serious praying up in the stands. :lol:

Next sunday Pittsburgh.I think we can beat them,seriously.Its gonna be sweet coming out of the bye 3-0!

I don't want to hope too much and put a jinx on the whole thing,but maybe Arizona ain't quite finished playing this season,just yet.We'll see,man.Later,Peewee.Peace! :P