Sign in to follow this  
Stardreamer

Exile

Has anybody the slightest idea why Hoshi wore such short sexy dresses?

Ok, tell me guys you'd loved it :lol: but why the hell would any woman wear such an outfit in a surrounding she feels uncomfortable with? And that she didn't feel well you could see when she backed out her hand as she was touched.

Do the writers really everything because of ratings??? Couldn't we fans expect some common sense?

Short sexy dress? What are you talking about? When I saw the dress I thought "Why is she wearing an old style dress girls wore in the 21st century?" I see woman and teenage girls wearing that exact same style dress everyday here in Florida, at the mall, in schools, or walking around the park.

It seems some folks keep trying to make Enterprise seem like its over sexed and to me its been the more tamer than the other Star Trek shows.

Will the moaning ever stop about people looking good on Ent? It's like they have to find the most unattractive actors they can and dress them up like country bumpkins from the 50's or something (possibly this decade from some responses). That's what they're wearing, so deal with it.

I see girls wearing short skirts all the time. They seem to like them.

The fact that she wore a sexy dress in its self is not really what concerns me. I think she looked great! However, IMO it was inappropriate for the specific situation because Hoshi had made it crystal clear that she was uncomfortable with staying there alone with the Alien. A woman in uncomfortable surroundings on a cold, dark, planet would not wear that dress.

I would have to agree yes I liked her in the dress but it would like be IMO a military officer going on a diplomatic mission and not wearing their uniform. I know that starfleet is not totaly military but they act like it. So it seems to me that she should have been wearing maybe not her uniform but a dress uniform I think that would have looked better.

Archerfan, you got exactly what I meant.

I do not have a problem with the fact that Hoshi wore this dress. She really looked great!!!!

And when I'm on vactation you should see my dresses. :lol:

Belive me Klingonmike and RSV, I didn't wish to complain about sexy looking girls or boys on ENT.

But my problem is like Archerfan and Fredbroca said, the dress doesn't fit neither to the surrounding nor to the (diplomatic - and for herself later on uncomfortable) situation.

I imply the producers have choosen that outfit because of ratings. And I'm not happy with the fact that logic is sacrificed on the altar of ratings.

Oh, thanks for the detail. Perhaps I overreacted to your comment. It's just that this kind of comment seems to pop up a little too much; but, having read your explanation, I can see where you're coming from.

I don't think it's a problem for them to do something for ratings. I mean if you think about it, they would write a good story for ratings. They would link the Ent. storyline to the overall Trek universe for ratings because fans would appreciate it. On the other hand, any story element should be well integrated with the rest of the plot, which I think is what you were saying.

I just don't see the dress as a ratings ploy, if it was meant to up the ratings they would have shown her in something sexy for the commercials they air to get people to watch. To me the dress was just not sexy, it was just a dress. Maybe its because I see people dressed liked that everyday that I'm not seeing any thing sexy about it.

I've re-watched it and this is my new conclusion to the matter; She did bring a suitcase along so that explains where she got it. Before she appeared wearing it she said she was tired so it's logical to assume it was some kind of nightgown.

Compared to what she was wearing at the end of the episode when he appeared for the last time in her quarters, (much more skimpy and revealing) what she chose to take and wear as bedclothes on the "Mission" was tasteful and appropriate.

I found this episode far too entertaining to get hung up on clothing. I'm much more interested in considering the possibility of the "Crystal" somehow in the future, becoming the Entity known as The Companion (TOS episode: Metamorphosis season 2 #37) Now there's a topic!

Let me first say I do like the episode and I was glad to see more of Hoshi.

But i tend to be a bit empathetic. And as a female I would never wear such a dress or leave the bedroom in a night gown when I feel uncomfortable with the situation. I still see no logic in it. I agree with RSV that " a story element should be integrated in the plot"

By the way, RSV could you exlain me what you mean with "I can see where you are coming from"? - I'm just curious nothing else

I did't see that there was already another threat and other members already talked about the dress - I feel a bit embarrassed about it - sorry for that.

I'm much more interested in considering the possibility of the "Crystal" somehow in the future, becoming the Entity known as The Companion (TOS episode: Metamorphosis season 2 #37) Now there's a topic!

That also came on my mind while watching and for me it's probably meant as an homage to TOS. This is one thing I've been waiting for.

Let me first say I do like the episode and I was glad to see more of Hoshi.

But i tend to be a bit empathetic. And as a female I would never wear such a dress or leave the bedroom in a night gown when I feel uncomfortable with the situation. I still see no logic in it. I agree with RSV that " a story element should be integrated in the plot"

By the way, RSV could you exlain me what you mean with "I can see where you are coming from"? - I'm just curious nothing else

I did't see that there was already another threat and other members already talked about the dress - I feel a bit embarrassed about it - sorry for that.

I just meant that I understood what you were trying to say after you added more details, but when I first read your post it seemed like another in a long list of complaints about problems that do not exist. I have to admit I hadn't seen the episode at that time, but I was able to imagine the situation. I've watched the episode now and I think I understand the problem. I was not surprised by what I saw - it was almost exactly what I expected given the description: A simple dress that really didn't flatter Hoshi that much. I'm going to have to return to my original position on the matter after having seen it; however, perhaps the term "country bumpkins" was a bit harsh. I'll try to explain this from my standpoint.

I live in Japan, and I can tell you it is not uncommon to see girls in short dresses like that. In fact, they come into fashion at this time of year moreso than in the extremely hot summer months. In the autumn season, most fashion-minded girls here wear rather high boots. Curious, I asked my girlfriend why they would want to wear shorter skirts/dresses at this time of year, and she told me many do so that they can show off their boots. She was wearing something very similar at the time. Hoshi does not live in Japan and the era is different, so there's no reason to think this would apply to her. Girls here have a different perspective on what others might see as a negative - peer pressure. There's a certain amount of comfort in conformity, and that includes fashion.

I think the problem is that in some parts of the world people simply don't wear that kind of clothing, so it appears to be what they call "sexy." The only thing I can tell you is that it is extremely tame compared to some of the stuff I see around here. I've lived in Canada and almost no girls ever wore anything like that - people might say things behind their backs if they tried to look good. It was amazing how conservative it was. I'm not one to wear flashy clothes, but I have a few items that I wouldn't wear in Canada because I know how many silly comments I would have to put up with. I occasionally wear a nice suit or some brand clothes to work, and one of my co-workers always feels the need to make some crack about me being dressed up for a date or a new job interview. It doesn't really bother me because I know it's only his own sense of being underdressed that leads him to say these things in order to feel more confident about his lack of fashion sense. I think it makes him feel comfortable in his ultra-conservative, Gap/Eddie Bauer/L.L.Bean/Other-lame-shop-with-too-much-brown-in-its-selection wardrobe. Whatever.

People never realise how conservative their surroundings are until they experience another one. If this sounds condescending, sorry, but too many people base their opinions on a very limited range of experiences and expect everyone else to share the same views. I think you need to see the clothes from another perspective. I don't know. I've travelled a bit - I'm no globetrotter, but I've visited a number of countries and lived in 3 on 3 different continents. Each one had different standards, but I can tell you this for certain: North Americans have disturbingly conservative views on this. A large number of the people on this forum, and any Trek forum for that matter, seem to be from that area, which explains some of the commentary on this topic.

Let's look at it from Hoshi's point of view: She was going down to this cold planet, but it's not like the alien didn't have central heating or anything. The real question is, why would she want to wear her uniform? She has to wear it every day. I don't know about the rest of you, but the first thing I do when I get home is change my clothes into something I feel more comfortable in, or that are more functional. Then we must ask why she wore a dress that would be suitable for a date. One reason Hoshi may have worn the dress is that she knew the telepath had some designs on her, so appealing to him might allow her to manipulate him more easily. I don't think it was a blatant appeal for ratings.

Come on now, everyone, let's not get too excited over things that really have little impact on the program. It's 2003 for goodness sakes, not the Victorian era.

There. That's it. I'm done with this thread. Peace.